Site Sponsors

Thread: RAW & boost

Jamesmd

RAW & boost

Hi all .

It might be stupid but I would like to share and see what your experience is .

I today tried RAW processing (I use aperture ) with boost set to 0 , and then use levels , and my first impression is that you have more control and results are best .

Does this sound right ? any of you use boost set to 0 ?

Thanks , I would love to hear your opinion .

Cheers

james

Jamesmd

Re: RAW & boost

I would say , boost , pushes ( boosts ) hi lights but it compresses then in a higher and narrower zone , this way you loose a lot of detail you can't get back with exposure or recovery .. . you have to reduce boost .

So , in critical shots you would go to boost , reduce it and treat it , but in not so critical shot you wouldn't think so much about it and be loosing detail . This , if true ( I'm not sure and would like your help ) makes me think its best starting with boost at 0 ,

well , what do you think ?

Thanks

Jamesmd

No comments ??

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't use Aperture but I did find this after a google: http://www.rastervector.com/files/ap..._boost%20.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I suspect only a few folks here use Aperture so hopefully one will respond. I have no idea what boost is or does, sorry.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Jamesmd

Thanks for answering !!

I just saw the link , I think 0 on both should leave the Raw just like it came of camera.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesmd View Post
    Thanks for answering !!

I just saw the link , I think 0 on both should leave the Raw just like it came of camera.

Cheers

I never understood precisely what the slider is meant to do. Seems the TRSmith link would be useful to read.

However, I've found that keeping the slider at max is almost never the most pleasing thing to do. Especially if you want to bring back blown highlights.

Furthermore, for a B&W conversion, I often deboost, and then play with the levels. In this way one is able to obtain a more film-like distribution of the grey-values. As far as I'm able to understand, these are nothing like film for the default raw conversion, and contribute to the plasticky look. I've tried to communicate this in the thread http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7769, but with little response (so there may be a massive hole in my understanding - take all I'm saying with a grain of salt).

My digi cameras are GRD I&II.

Post Thanks / Like

Looked at the article. Clear enough, in explaining that the apple default boost adjustment is a black box . I also understood that 0% 0% is as close as you get to the untouched raw.

I wouldn't be surprised if the behavior of these sliders is very different between cameras. Especially between different sensor sizes.

Jamesmd

I've been experimenting with C1 ,and I would say that the sliders in aperture would do similar to changing film mode etc ..

I now leave them 0% and I think it better . ( for me I mean )

James