Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New MacBook Pros and MacBooks launched

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New MacBook Pros and MacBooks launched

while I know that there will always be upgrades (and yes we will "need" a new iPhone this year), I wasn't sure how much gain there will be from this whole new chip platform that is really coming out quite quickly. If it were something like Dec. I wouldn't hesitate. Just curious about the scoop on montevina vs Santa rosa.

Also, guy I posted my proposed set up above....last post from last night.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    There will always be upgrades . Myself i am skipping the New Mac pro and the New MBP until the next gen. Just not enough horsepower gain from what i have.
    Personally, if somebody really needs to replace or get a new computer for critical work now, there is no point in waiting. Whatever one buys, at any time, is or will be obsolete quickly anyway. Buy on need, not on speculation. The amount of use and time saved with a new machine over the next 3-6 months for the new ones to roll out may be more than worth it for those in need.

I think the horsepower part is a bit of a wash, but the more interesting is the possible improved front side bus. THAT will make things move a lot faster. Of course, that also means that new memory modules will have to be built and marketed also, so costs there are going to be higher until volumes catch up with demand.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    A new wrinkle?

I'm reading this morning that Apple will be updating to the new Montevina chips in June.
    There is a blurb on macrumors.com
    Is it worth just getting all the cr*p off my MacBook and freeing up disk space for 3-4 months?????
    There will always be upgrades, usually every 6 months with more "significant" upgrades every 18 months (Corollary to Moore's Law). And for sure, the current stuff will always be less expensive 6 months from now...

My take is this: Use the equipment you own until 1) it bogs down to the point you can no longer take it, 2) it doesn't do something you need it to do, 3) it breaks or 4) You want the upgrade and can sell your old system, recovering a significant enough portion of the initial investment to justify it.

Goes counter to conventional wisdom on this, but I find that if I buy the "best" at the onset, I get enough longer life out of it to justify the added expense. I think image processing users fall into a heavier use category than the norm, and I suspect this is why this logic works for us...

So, if you can live with your current MB for travel, then you probably should. Cleaning it off is not a bad thing either () You have the iMac and it serves well for larger file handling. And you can always process raws on the road as 8-bit tiffs or even jpegs to gain performance out of an older laptop. After all, those files usually won't be your finals anyway, the desktop versions will... Moreover, you can copy any adjustment layers over to a newly processed version of your raw image and save repeating those steps if you really like what you did

Cheers,
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Equipment churning is also time consuming. I usually wait for a couple generations of "new" before making a change. That way I see a big step forward and feel like I'm getting a good value. My recent transition to the latest Mac Pro took me from Tiger to Leopard and PPC to Intel. Based on my absolutely stunning experience to date, I've just ordered the new MBP which will replace my Powerbook G4.

With almost 20 years of Mac owning/using experience under my belt, I have to say that Apple has really got their stuff together of late. Apple computers rock!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am clearly not a wimp when it comes to doing upgrades or getting new technology but seeing a new chip platform coming on line so quickly, I just wanted to do a sanity check.

Jack, I went in the other direction on tech purchases (cheaper more often) prior a more serious move into digital photography. Now, I agree with your assessment of buying high end.

I think I am going to get myself a good big fast FireWire drive (suggestions welcome) to restructure my image files and get that all in order. At the same time, I will clean off the MacBook and use that and see if it continues to act up with a clean hard drive. If it doesn't behave, bye bye. If it does, then I will wait till the summer.

Sorry for all the "thinking out loud" on this thread but it has been really helpful !!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry: Get these boxes and stuff them with the Seagate 7200.11 500G or 1TB drives from NewEgg:

OWC drive Box, eSATA, FW800x2, FW400 & USB2 interfaces: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other...g/MEFW924AL1K/

Drives form NewEgg are a bit less expensive than OWC, but OWC should match price for you if you ask. NOTE! On Seagate 7200.11 drives you HAVE to remove the stock jumper to get SATA2 speeds, otherwise the drive runs at SATA1 speed!!! Why they default to SATA1 who knows, but they do...
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am clearly not a wimp when it comes to doing upgrades or getting new technology but seeing a new chip platform coming on line so quickly, I just wanted to do a sanity check.

Jack, I went in the other direction on tech purchases (cheaper more often) prior a more serious move into digital photography. Now, I agree with your assessment of buying high end.

I think I am going to get myself a good big fast FireWire drive (suggestions welcome) to restructure my image files and get that all in order. At the same time, I will clean off the MacBook and use that and see if it continues to act up with a clean hard drive. If it doesn't behave, bye bye. If it does, then I will wait till the summer.

Sorry for all the "thinking out loud" on this thread but it has been really helpful !!!!!!

Oh just get the MBP and get on with it.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh just get the MBP and get on with it.
    Yes, and I suppose you would also like me to buy a 24mm shift lens that doesn't fit on any of my gear

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Terry: Get these boxes and stuff them with the Seagate 7200.11 500G or 1TB drives from NewEgg:

OWC drive Box, eSATA, FW800x2, FW400 & USB2 interfaces: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other...g/MEFW924AL1K/

Drives form NewEgg are a bit less expensive than OWC, but OWC should match price for you if you ask. NOTE! On Seagate 7200.11 drives you HAVE to remove the stock jumper to get SATA2 speeds, otherwise the drive runs at SATA1 speed!!! Why they default to SATA1 who knows, but they do...
    I'll cross the "jumper" bridge when I get to it. The OWC enclosure I assume from the picture will hold one drive. Dumb question but why doesn't seagate sell the drive with an enclosure?

OK so I get the most retro digital camera possibly made and it turns me into a total tech geek on the other end. What's wrong with this picture?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, and I suppose you would also like me to buy a 24mm shift lens that doesn't fit on any of my gear
    Make a bet it fits your M8 .
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll cross the "jumper" bridge when I get to it. The OWC enclosure I assume from the picture will hold one drive. Dumb question but why doesn't seagate sell the drive with an enclosure?

OK so I get the most retro digital camera possibly made and it turns me into a total tech geek on the other end. What's wrong with this picture?

Because we love you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dumb question but why doesn't seagate sell the drive with an enclosure?
    They do, but the box sucks This way, you get a really great box AND get to choose the drive you want in it. Oh, and speaking of drive choice, the WD 1TB "Green" drive is similarly priced to the Seagate, but runs cooler and uses less power. It runs at either 5400 or 7200 RPM as needed, sleeps itself when possible, but can start slower since if it is sleeping it needs a few seconds to wake up. I use these drives as my back-up drives as they're silent, cool and energy efficient. And no jumper to pull on these

PS: You were a tech geek long before you went retro

Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry, thanks for asking all the right questions. This is a superb discussion.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks like we need to go into a computer module in Carmel and get into more detail. Now if you folks want me to put all this stuff together for you i can do that also. I really am a geek just don't tell my wife. She drives me nuts now.

Mitch Alland

Watch that, Guy! Sounds like you drive her nuts.

—Mitch/Bangkok
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

if i want to soup up a macbook pro and put in the 200G/ 7200 rpm drive, how is that done as it will be the boot drive?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Piece of cake.
    Time machine what you have.
    Take out 22 screws, put in the new drive, put back 22 screws. (need a P00 and a Torkx number 6)
    install leopard from installation disk and restore from time machine backup (option on installation)
    Install latest updates.
    enjoy
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    if i want to soup up a macbook pro and put in the 200G/ 7200 rpm drive, how is that done as it will be the boot drive?
    John,
    Basically, you first clone the existing internal drive. (There is great software for doing this. I use SuperDuper and it does and excellent job.) You will need either a small SATA capable laptop drive case, or just the bare drive connector to accomplish this. OWC (Macsales.com) sells both. The case is nice, as then you have a place for the drive you remove from the laptop to become a portable external drive for back-up or whatever.

You would then pull the drive from the MBP and replace it with the cloned version. Reassemble and you are good to go. OWC has online video tutorials that show you exactly how to do this. It is not hard, but there area about 21 screws that need to be taken out to accomplish the entire replacement. Not difficult, but one must take care not to misplace things. You will NOT have a problem doing this, given your present skill sets

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Easy. You can do what Bob said or clone your current drive to the new drive using Carbon Copy Cloner and this little device: http://www.cooldrives.com/usb20andesad.html. Then swap the new drive into your MBP and turn it on

Or what LJL wrote while I was typing LOLOLOLOL!!!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    Right here John , make sure you get ALL the screws out

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/MacB...lacement/85/8/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now take the old drive and buy a Firewire 800 2.5 laptop enclosure and bingo you have a nice travel hard drive for images and such to back you up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now take the old drive and buy a Firewire 800 2.5 laptop enclosure and bingo you have a nice travel hard drive for images and such to back you up.
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other...ng/MSTG800U2K/

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

sounds piece o' cake; especially since this is Son's old laptop and i have nada on it yet, my wife has leopard update for me. so a new drive, bump the ram to 4gig, boot up with the leopard install disc and go to town, eh?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Let's see if i can explain these drives and what they are good for.

E-Sata . i will just run my mouth and see what comes out here. Hopefully it will help. E-sata is a way to extend hard drives to your Mac pro or Laptop. How it works with a desktop or more the point a Mac pro. There are two E-Sata points or connections on the Motherboard and what you can do is extend them out to the rear of the box in one of the PCI slots. On the laptop there is a E-Sata Express card that you can do the same thing. Usually these are 2 E-Sata ports that you can use and hook up to E-Sata Connections or 2 hard drives. Although you can run a complete Raid E-sata setup also which is a little more involved.

No the benefits of E-sata are they run as fast as any internal drive given the same speed (RPM) and cache. So if you main hard drive is a 7200 32mg cache inside a E-sata drive with the same drive will perform identical. This basically extends you Mac pro 4 drive setup into 2 more drives that run the same. Pretty cool. Now a laptop can achieve the same results and actually better because a 2.5 Hard drive for notebooks is limited to 200 gb to 320 gb and 7200 rpm but only a 16mg cache. You can do a lot better with a 3.5 drive and get 1TB 7200 and 32mg cache. So for the laptop user this is a big plus you can add basically 2 more internal drives basically even though they sit outside the laptop.

Okay obviously you can see the benefits here. More hard drives that run essential as fast as any internal or better. That is the good part. Now the bad

These are not hot swappable like a Firewire drive. There like internals and must be turned on before you power up either your laptop or Mac pro. So these must be on or they will not be seen. So there best for storage of raw files or Final files and stuff like this for travel or laptops they are best to be left at home when you go and don't have to depend on them to have you present shooting files or anything like that. Think of the E sata boxes as the stay at home variety.

Firewire 800. The One nice thing about Mac is firewire 800. Now there are many benefits to Firewire . One is simply this you have one port onthe laptop but you can daisy chain as many Firewire 800 drives as you want or need. Folks basically you can build a whole backup system from one port on your desktop or laptop. They are also hot swappable too. so you can disconnect and go. The other nice thing about Firwire also is drive size you can use notebook drives in enclosures for a small travel unit or again use desktop 3.5 drives inside a firewire 800 enclosure and again you have options of having like a 5 bay Firewire 800 station of drives and dedicate each drive to a certain task. Of course there is Firewire 400 and USB which i would like to say there good for Mice, keyboards, card readers and such and the Firwire 800 is the storage units for speed .

Now there are My books , La cie and all kinds of off the shelf drives you can buy and be ready in 2 minutes by just hooking them up. My issue with a lot of these units is they don't always put the fastest drives in there so i build them with ready available enclosures and buy my own drives. You save some money and get faster drives. not such a bad deal. Now we must remember another issue E -sata and most 3.5 ( desktop drives) firewire 800 drives will need AC power. But the small laptop 2.5 drives are usually bus powered which make them great for travel and laptops and I use them a lot to move files between computers.

Now the trick is finding out how you like to work and store stuff. I've touched on this a couple times in this thread along with other folks also. What I hoping this long drawn out post is give you a better understanding of what E-Sata Is and what Firewire 800 is and what there limitations and benefits are.

Now you need to sit down and get your primary system be it desktop or laptop and get setup properly so when you do run out the door with your laptop you can come back and fill up you main setup with your images. For laptop only folks the same thing you want to keep your laptop clean and have at least 100 gb around to do processing and back up files when you travel and such than move them to your externals when you get home. The trick is keeping all your software on the laptop but the files somewhere else or just a temp folder on your laptop. Let's face is the most you may shoot on any given trip maybe 20 to 30 gbs tops so if you have a 200 gb drive than surely you will have at least a 100 gb free to process and make finals on the road. So you always want to keep this type of space on your laptop for the working times than transfer when you get home and clean off those files from your laptop when you have everything safe and secure on your home externals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good grief man! What did you have for breakfast today?

Jack

Post Thanks / Like

CAUTION
    Not sure that everyone saw my earlier posting about changing the HDD in a MacBook Pro, but it bears repeating as there is a possible risk to your warranty:

WRT installing your own HDD in a MBP, be cautious. I asked when I bought my MBP and was told by Apple that it would compromise my warranty unless it was done by an Apple authorized shop. Since that time, I have upgraded twice (first from the stock 120GB to a 20GB and recently to a 320GB) and both times I have had it confirmed that to keep my (now extended) warranty, that it did indeed need to be done by an authorized dealer/shop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Good grief man! What did you have for breakfast today?

Been sick for way to many days , had to let something out besides gas.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

4 gig and 200gig on their way for $320, OWC

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Man that is pretty good John. Need help on that hard drive just call me . i have done it twice now. Now when you get the new drive in there . You will have to have the leopard disk in to boot from than you can install leopard and get on with it. I think just hold down the C key when it boots to get the DVD drive to be the startup. Checking on the C key

John you will have to format the drive correctly though . When you get the DVD to boot you want to go to the top to disk utlities and you need to format the drive to Mac journaled guide partition.

Anyone have screen captures of this process.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thank god i have another computer to keep online while i transplant the mac guts
    thx

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i'm putting in the new HD seagate 200/7200 and notice the jumpers: no info on how to set them, no jumpers on OEM drive I am removing and am #6 in line for tech support at OWC.

any tips?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pull it. It sets the drive to SATA1 speed as a default, removed it gets to SATA2.
    Jack

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

well they got back to me at tech support and told me to leave the jumper in place. I did. put it back together, put in the leopard disc, held down C, it loads the install page for the OS but gets hung up at "Select a Destination" with no choices showing.

makes me think the new HD needs to be formatted?

chicken or egg here? how do i format the HD without the OS in place?

and Jack, you think I should drop its pants again and pull out the jumper?

jm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pull the jumper John.

Now go back in with the Key C and than look at the top of the screen and i think got ot the right there is a pull down to get to the disk utility. Than select the hard drive go to partition select Volume scheme and select 1 partition than on the right name the Hard drive like Master Boot or something. Than drop down it says Format : select Mac OS Extened ( journaled) and than Okay that. Now your hard drive is formated than go back to select what disk from the DVD drive to this and it will copy over

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

getting it, but how do I shut the bugger off to pull the jumper?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well you have to go back in and unplug the sucker to get to the jumper just a little jewelers screwdriver will help pull it off

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i pulled the battery, the the r and r and it is booting up again right now

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Keep us informed

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"the dvd you are using to install mac os X is being checked for consistency before installation begins...78% complete"

"installing mac os X...time remaining about 20 minutes"
    Last edited by jlm; 29th February 2008 at 14:16.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That is fine , just let it go

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

from the mac, i'm on board...now where is the backspace key#@#%$#

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

delete

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My MacBook Pro arrived today! Pretty fast, the delivery, as it left Shanghai on Saturday and went to Anchorage and Memphis. Machine is fast as well ...I may ask a lot of questions but I do end up making decisions and go for it!

P.S. Today it was reported that Intel is expected to have 160gb SSD drives in the next couple of months

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Might have to sell your M8 to afford it. Give it a year and maybe within reach.

Post Thanks / Like

The projected price drop for flash memory in these sorts of devices is something like 40% per year for a couple of years. What I would like to see is true dual "drive" use....one large enough SSD to handle the OS and all apps, and easily removable higher capacity HDs that one could swap in and out as needed for more an cheaper storage.

LJ