The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New MacBook Pros and MacBooks launched

jlm

Workshop Member
i'm putting in the new HD seagate 200/7200 and notice the jumpers: no info on how to set them, no jumpers on OEM drive I am removing and am #6 in line for tech support at OWC.

any tips?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Pull it. It sets the drive to SATA1 speed as a default, removed it gets to SATA2.

jlm

Workshop Member
well they got back to me at tech support and told me to leave the jumper in place. I did. put it back together, put in the leopard disc, held down C, it loads the install page for the OS but gets hung up at "Select a Destination" with no choices showing.

makes me think the new HD needs to be formatted?

chicken or egg here? how do i format the HD without the OS in place?

and Jack, you think I should drop its pants again and pull out the jumper?

jm

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Pull the jumper John.

Now go back in with the Key C and than look at the top of the screen and i think got ot the right there is a pull down to get to the disk utility. Than select the hard drive go to partition select Volume scheme and select 1 partition than on the right name the Hard drive like Master Boot or something. Than drop down it says Format : select Mac OS Extened ( journaled) and than Okay that. Now your hard drive is formated than go back to select what disk from the DVD drive to this and it will copy over

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well you have to go back in and unplug the sucker to get to the jumper just a little jewelers screwdriver will help pull it off

jlm

Workshop Member
"the dvd you are using to install mac os X is being checked for consistency before installation begins...78% complete"

"installing mac os X...time remaining about 20 minutes"

Last edited:

Terry

:clap::clap::clap:

My MacBook Pro arrived today! Pretty fast, the delivery, as it left Shanghai on Saturday and went to Anchorage and Memphis. Machine is fast as well :D...I may ask a lot of questions but I do end up making decisions and go for it!

P.S. Today it was reported that Intel is expected to have 160gb SSD drives in the next couple of months :cussing:

LJL

The projected price drop for flash memory in these sorts of devices is something like 40% per year for a couple of years. What I would like to see is true dual "drive" use....one large enough SSD to handle the OS and all apps, and easily removable higher capacity HDs that one could swap in and out as needed for more an cheaper storage.

LJ