Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

New MacBook Pros and MacBooks launched

Apple just announced the new machines.
    Notable:
    17" is not LED
    MacBooks can now have 4gb of memory
    Apple dropped memory prices going from 2 to 4gb was $750 now $400.

Now I need to configure one for myself!

All suggestions welcome!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New MacBook Pros and MacBooks launched

My bad you can get LED on 17" for an extra $100. Seems kinds dumb to make it an option on the top end machine.

Mitch Alland

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    ...MacBooks can now have 4gb of memory...
    That's not new: my 17 inch MacBookPro that I bought last August has 4GB of memory.

—Mitch/Bangkok
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Alland View Post
    That's not new: my 17 inch MacBookPro that I bought last August has 4GB of memory.

—Mitch/Bangkok
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
    Yes, MBPs could take 4gbs but regular MBs could not. In Moab I was getting kernel panics on a MacBook with 2gb running Lightroom and CS3 with not a lot of hard drive space. The extra 2gb would have been very welcome. This is why I'm in the market for a new laptop.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmmm maybe I should upgrade . I have a 2.4 15 inch with 4gb of Ram with the LED. Seems like the difference is Multi pad and 2.6 processor . Interestingly the price seems lower by about 300 dollars even without adding the Ram. I paid 3200.00 without that 200 gb hard drive and without the 2 gb of extra ram. Now i did put in 2 more gigs and I also installed a 200 gb 7200 drive myself. But the same config is lower.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Do you think the 2.6 is worth the extra $$$ over the 2.5? The only difference is speed no additional cache, seems like nothing else.
    I was thinking the 2.5 with faster HD and 4gb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Interesting... The 15" MBP I bought in December already had a "new" core 2 duo 2.6 processor and LED display, but the graphics is a GE Force 8600 w/256mb, not 512 . (But it still runs my 30" cinema display just fine ) I note the "new" processors are 2.4 and 2.5 with a $250 option to upgrade from the 2.5 to the 2.6, so I wonder if mine got the newest 2.6 processor --- reading the specs it appears it is...

As for the 2.6 being worth more, I'd say doubtful -- I mean we're talking a 4% performance increase. (This from the man that just paid the delta to get the 3.2 processors in his desktop, but at least that was a double-digit 12.5% bump over the 2.8's ) As I understand it, they clock all the processors at the fastest speed and measure temps, any that get hotter than a given range get down-graded to run within temp spec. Then again, it's only $250...

My biggest advice is to get the 200G 7200 RPM drive as the speed increase is notable and will serve you better on everything everyday than 50G of extra storage

Guy, I would say if you have a 2.4 with the fast drive, there is little reason to upgrade... I mean you won't gain much of anything except a lighter wallet for a minimal (8%) performance bump.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anyone know what the delivery times are for the new models?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Interesting... The 15" MBP I bought in December already had a "new" core 2 duo 2.6 processor and LED display, but the graphics is a GE Force 8600 w/256mb, not 512 . (But it still runs my 30" cinema display just fine ) I note the "new" processors are 2.4 and 2.5 with a $250 option to upgrade from the 2.5 to the 2.6, so I wonder if mine got the newest 2.6 processor --- reading the specs it appears it is...

As for the 2.6 being worth more, I'd say doubtful -- I mean we're talking a 4% performance increase. (This from the man that just paid the delta to get the 3.2 processors in his desktop, but at least that was a double-digit 12.5% bump over the 2.8's ) As I understand it, they clock all the processors at the fastest speed and measure temps, any that get hotter than a given range get down-graded to run within temp spec. Then again, it's only $250...

My biggest advice is to get the 200G 7200 RPM drive as the speed increase is notable and will serve you better on everything everyday than 50G of extra storage

Guy, I would say if you have a 2.4 with the fast drive, there is little reason to upgrade... I mean you won't gain much of anything except a lighter wallet for a minimal (8%) performance bump.

Exactly Jack with the fast hard drive i put in. I am running pretty fast . Like the Mac Pro for me I am better on waiting for the next gen. Just not enough bump for me right now.

Terry I would go for that 200 gb 7200 for sure and 2gb . I think you can still get that extra 2gb a lot cheaper. But here is the catch . You will have to buy 2 2gb chips because Apple usually will put 1 gb chips in , so you have to waste them for the 4gb increase. Yea i know , i wish they would change that
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack that new graphic card maybe able to run the native 30 inch display and enough juice to run the laptop display also . We now can't do that in native resolution with the 256 card.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks like 2-4 days for delivery. Maybe even pickup maxed out

Post Thanks / Like

Apple just announced the new machines.
    Notable:
    17" is not LED
    MacBooks can now have 4gb of memory
    Apple dropped memory prices going from 2 to 4gb was $750 now $400.

Now I need to configure one for myself!

All suggestions welcome!
    Terry,
    Even though the RAM prices are still high, unless you plan to eBay the modules you remove, it may be better to go with the 4GB configuration to start, as the 2GB config will have 2x1GB modules, both of which you will need to remove to replace with 2x2GB. The cost savings is still there if you sell the RAM you pull, but if not, the gap is a bit closer, and you do not have to open the case up. I concur with others, the 200GB 7200rpm drive is the way to go, but that is not an option on any of the MBs, only the MBP. As Jack mentioned, that extra speed on the HD is worth way more than the extra 50GB of storage for doing image work. My thoughts were to go with the bigger drive, then buy the Hitachi 200GB 7200rpm separately, plus an OWC Mercury On-The-Go case ($80). Clone the drives; swap the 200GB fast drive for the 250GB slower drive and install the 250GB into the OWC case. You then have great internal speed and an instant Time Machine external drive that is bus powered.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Terry I would go for that 200 gb 7200 for sure and 2gb . I think you can still get that extra 2gb a lot cheaper. But here is the catch . You will have to buy 2 2gb chips because Apple usually will put 1 gb chips in , so you have to waste them for the 4gb increase. Yea i know , i wish they would change that
    Guy,
    Exactly the issue. Apple will most likely not make that change, as the way the systems are configured, you get max performance by having two RAM modules installed in the slots, regardless of what size, so they will always ship with 2x1GB as the MBP minimum, forcing folks to buy 2x2GB to replace, and then being stuck with the 2x1GB they pull out. Apple even charges you for that operation, though the new $400 is a lot better than the previously obscene $750.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I did replace my drive in my MBP. It's not that hard but it is a little tricky you don't bend the shell. Of course i am sure I screwed my warranty too but get a 7200 rpm for sure in there

Ram at OWC is 160 for 4gb

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Samsung/53DDR2SAMP4G/

Post Thanks / Like

I did replace my drive in my MBP. It's not that hard but it is a little tricky you don't bend the shell. Of course i am sure I screwed my warranty too but get a 7200 rpm for sure in there

The drive replacement operation is not hard, just tedious with all the tiny screws, but the 200GB 7200rpm is the way to go for sure.

Those RAM prices ($160 for 2x2GB) are good deals, and it makes doing the replacement a lot less painful on the wallet, plus you can either keep the 2x1GB you pull for spares if something goes screwy, or you can eBay them and recover part of your RAM replacement costs back. Good way to go.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like

Guy,
    I do not think you impacted your warranty at all, as Apple considers the RAM and HD (and the SuperDrive, I think) as "user replaceable" items, so the warranty is not impacted. I did it on my MBP and when I brought mine in a while back, I asked about that. The Genius Bar guy said replacing the HD did not void the warranty, and either did the RAM, but only if the RAM was to Apple spec, which the OWC stuff is.

LJ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Anybody wanna buy a 1st gen 17" MacBook Pro?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

By the way is a 17" with LED just not worth the extra $$$ and weight to gain the 1.5" of screen space?

Mitch Alland

It is if you get the high resolution version (1900x1200) because the difference in the quality of the display compared to a 15 inch display is huge and, in my view, compelling if you want to edit photographs while traveling — there difference is in resolution and the display of tones.

—Mitch/Bangkok
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/1026877...89168260/show/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes it's a tough call because if you have a Mac Pro you tend to want the MBP as the travel computer and work the real stuff on the desktop which i do BUT if it is the only computer than the 17 inch becomes a interesting choice. But the key to Mac is simply this that no one else has either one you can hook up to a 30 inch cinema and you are running like a normal desktop. Believe me folks there is a lot of power in this fact alone that you can run huge monitors off a laptop and not miss a beat. This to me if not a pig like I am that has to make large graphic files sometimes and other high speed processing a option that for normal users makes the laptop , monitor option a win win. These laptops fly folks so your not losing a whole hell of a lot in speed. The trick if you are a laptop only person is having a good setup for externals and such. This is were having a E- Sata express card and run two E-sata boxes and Firewire 800 stuff just becomes a very important part of your workflow process. Than you can disconnect and go travel. This is very powerful.

Post Thanks / Like

My take on this is that the 17" MBP with the high res LED screen now becomes a true one machine option for folks not wanting to go the Mac Pro route, and wanting more than an iMac as a desktop unit. The ability to plug in another monitor has always been a great feature on the MBPs and even the PBs before that, as it does truly give one a lot of single machine capability. With the beefed up video, plus the speed bumps, these MBPs can easily become a single machine option. Add in all the external stuff, as Guy is suggesting, and you have a pretty complete and powerful workstation that is also portable without missing a beat.

I love having the G5 with dual monitors as my workstation, and will replace it with a Mac Pro soon, plus I need the laptop, so the 15" MBP is my solution there. If I did not have as much volume and spend as much time at both, I think the 17" MBP could be a single solution.....but still having that monitor for more workstation option. The 15" MBP could also be that single solution option too, but then the additional monitor becomes much more of a need than an option for doing things, IMHO.

LJ

Mitch Alland

Good point, Guy. I'm using the 17 inch high resolution MacBook Pro because I travel a lot on one to two week trips, and sometimes go to Paris for a couple of months. I don't want to have to keep another computer in Paris.

I've been thinking about getting the new Time Capsule driver and to connect a backuo hard disk to that through USB, just for the convenience of the wireless set-uo — and to run Time Machine to back up to the Time Capsule, which in turn would be backed up by the USB hard disk connected to it. Does this solution make sense.

—Mitch/Bangkok

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree if your going with a single laptop 15 inch as your sole box than the need for a external monitor like a 23 or 30 becomes imperative.

But for folks that are working normally and just processing and doing normal work on CS3 than a laptop only deal is something i would rather see folks buy first and see if it fits there needs before jumping into a Mac Pro. Be surprised how well you can get along like this as long as your setup good on the external stuff. Honestly you may never notice your not on a desktop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good point, Guy. I'm using the 17 inch high resolution MacBook Pro because I travel a lot on one to two week trips, and sometimes go to Paris for a couple of months. I don't want to have to keep another computer in Paris.

I've been thinking about getting the new Time Capsule driver and to connect a backuo hard disk to that through USB, just for the convenience of the wireless set-uo — and to run Time Machine to back up to the Time Capsule, which in turn would be backed up by the USB hard disk connected to it. Does this solution make sense.

—Mitch/Bangkok

That's actually not a bad idea. the thing too is just buy a 23 inch cinema which really is only 800 dollars and keep that in Paris or ship it there before you go. I do this for the workshops is just ship the 23 inch. Now time machine is not a bad idea and for the OS and such a good one. But you maybe better off with a good external just for images so that is seperate. The problem with time machine is once you start getting filled it will take stuff off the back end so images on there maybe a bad idea so running seperate image drive might be a better solution and there not expensive either. There are a slew of off the shelf storage devices these days and small too. Or you can simply make one also. Get a nice Firewire 800 enclosure and either get a notebook drive 2.5 inch or go with a desktop drive 3.5 inch and use that.

Mitch Alland

Thanks, Guy. I'll have to look into all that when I get to Paris in a month or so.

—Mitch/Bangkok

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes i think you have a few options to look at , that make good sense for you. I love having the 23 inch just dedicated to the laptop. Nice thing is there not extremely expensive either. Just watch out on off the shelf externals, there known for using slower drives like 5400 rpm or slower. Look for 7200

Mitch Alland

Yes, it made quite a difference when I swapped the 5400 rpm drive that the 17-incher came for the 7200 rpm one.

—Mitch/Bangkok

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes no question that simply alone will cause a big performance boast.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've somewhat decided what to do.....

I am getting the 2.5ghz 15" MBP with the faster hard drive. It will have 4gb of RAM not sure if that will be from Apple but with the lower RAM prices there is a bit less incentive to open up the machine.

This will leave me the new MacBook Pro, 10 month old MacBook and a 6 month old 24" iMac. A somewhat mixed up assortment of equipment but without the key ingredient -- the right set of external drives and back up plans.

So, right now I am working out if I want the iMac or MBP to be considered my "main machine" which will then lead me down the path of what drives to get for image storage. I will also be getting a Time Capsule to use Time Machine for all three machines to deal with all the other stuff (music, documents, email, etc.)

Thanks for all of your comments and help. (yes, I will surely have more questions!)

terry

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I would sell the MacBook first off myself or donate to a family member. Than I would make the MBP the main deal. Frankly Terry i even question the Imac. get a 30 in cinema and hook it up to the MBP and have one glorious setup and work off that . But that is me.

Than i would get a E Sata Express card and than build a 2 drive hard ware setup with seagate.11 drives in 2 1 TB config. and run that as you backup and even some scratch since they will run as fast as your internal drive than i would have Firwire 800 externals. One for Raw only and store every raw file there and when full just put it away and start a new one

Mitch Alland

Terry, I don't know how you're going to use the MPB, but if you are thinking of doing any PP on it without an external monitor then I would go for the 17-inch high resolution version, which is a day-and-night difference compared to the 15-inch regular LCD.

—Mitch/Bangkok
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/1026877...7603989168260/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry, I don't know how you're going to use the MPB, but if you are thinking of doing any PP on it without an external monitor then I would go for the 17-inch high resolution version, which is a day-and-night difference compared to the 15-inch regular LCD.

—Mitch/Bangkok
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/1026877...7603989168260/
    Mitch,
    I loathe traveling with a laptop. I hate carrying it, taking it out in airports etc. etc. That is why at one point I was actually considering the MacBook Air. However, when I was away in Moab for the week working on the MacBook was frustrating. Screen was small so to see the full image I was looking at too small an image. More importantly it didn't have the horsepower to deal with files that got large from layers, uprezzing etc. So, it is clear that I need a new laptop. The scary part about the 17" is dealing with my carry-on requirements with my photo gear. For someone who hates carrying a computer buying a beast might be a bit over the top.

Before this I thought my iMac was my main machine. It is speedy enough and I just got 2 extra gb of RAM for it. There is nothing wrong with this machine and it could still be used as my main machine and there are plenty of people that would be thrilled with this for photography. However, two things have changed for me. I am taking a lot more pictures and doing more with them which is chewing up hard drive space faster than I thought.

I was already in the process of figuring out storage and back but
    now that I will have a laptop that is really more capable than my iMac as my main machine I need to rethink the setup.

So, the comments about getting a cinema display eSata drives etc. are really quite valid.

Mitch Alland

Thanks, Guy. Just what I need to look at when I get to Paris. There is a great computer store there called Surcouf that has everything but giving real information or advice is not their strength, so this is very helpful.

—Mitch/Bangkok

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I would sell the MacBook first off myself or donate to a family member.
    The MacBook has a home. When I wake up in the AM I like to watch the news and see what is happening in the world before getting out of bed. Then at the same time I can also check out my favorite websites . The MacBook therefore resides bedside....gave away my last bedside mac a Titanium PowerBook that was top of the line and then obsolete in about 6-9 month....that's when I went to my cheaper laptop replace more often strategy which we now know was a very flawed photography strategy.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wanna fly to NY and be my IT department. I'll let you figure out how to get all this stuff to peacefully co-exist in 1600 sq. ft.

Post Thanks / Like

WRT installing your own HDD in a MBP, be cautious. I asked when I bought my MBP and was told by Apple that it would compromise my warranty unless it was done by an Apple authorized shop. Since that time, I have upgraded twice (first from the stock 120GB to a 20GB and recently to a 320GB) and both times I have had it confirmed that to keep my (now extended) warranty, that it did indeed need to be done by an authorized dealer/shop.

Mitch Alland

...The scary part about the 17" is dealing with my carry-on requirements with my photo gear. For someone who hates carrying a computer buying a beast might be a bit over the top...
    As I travel extensively between Asia, Africa, Europe and the States I appreciate your dilemma, particularly as I only have carryon luggage, as otherwise I would be spending hours and hours waiting for luggage — I've never received it faster than in 45 minutes at Charles de Gaulle terminal 1, and have not even attempted that at Heathrow — not to speak of losing luggage. My solution is that I only bring my GRD, now the GRD2 with the two converter lenses. The 17-inch MPB goes in my computer/briefcase, which I can squeeze, just, into my roll-aboard suitcase, in case only one carryon is permitted, as it was the last time I was at Heathrow, which I believe is still is the case.

Of course another advantage of the 17-inch MPB is that, with the wide, high-rez screen you can have documents side-by-side, which is convenient for work. Nevertheless, if I wasn't doing PP on the computer I would travel with a Mac Air; but that would mean having having to keep another computer in Paris.

—Mitch/Bangkok

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wanna fly to NY and be my IT department. I'll let you figure out how to get all this stuff to peacefully co-exist in 1600 sq. ft.
    Your on dear. LOL

Be there in July

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Your on dear. LOL

Be there in July

BTW i have a Mac pro, MPB a 23 inch and a 30 inch in a 120 square feet of space. I have a small office. LOL

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Your on dear. LOL

Be there in July
    JULY !!!!!!!

By then we will be in the next upgrade cycle

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LOL i knew you would have a bird on that one.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK Guy,
    I've looked at all the links....Assume your eSata setup with two running off the express card. What goes where.....

Software: All regular software goes on Laptop
    Images: Copy all images to eSata #1 and 1 firewire as a backup
    Music and other assorted stuff: eSata #1
    Time Machine: eSata #2

Where do I back up images that have been worked on? Allow it to be done by Time Machine or something else?

I may be a little slow on this stuff but I do get it figured out

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

First you need to decide on how you want to work. My basic setup is pretty simple. i have a 1 TB drive that holds ALL raw files. No matter what i shoot they go there. I than have another 1tb drive and that is for LR. i import all my shooting into LR on it's own drive. now actually these 2 drives are identical if your reading this correctly. So essential you could combine tis into one but i would not do this. keep two seperate raw drives one for you whole LR library and One for Raws. Okay than i have a drive that is 1TB for Finals. What I deliver to clients , there all 60 mg high res Tif files.

Moving forward than i have a drive i actually partitioned into three. 1/3rd scratch drive for CS3 , than a 1/3 for OS backup and 1/3 for Graphic files.

next drive is my Time machine and it backs up my Main OS drive.

Now the E sata is a great final solution setup because it is not hot swapable like a firewire 800 drive is.

Now if i was in the One computer laptop setup than i would make my LR library either internal ( Say 100 gbs of internal space, than off load later)or Firewire this way you can take you LR library on the road. The E sata stuff maybe not as portable so i would want that image finals and raw backup. This way it stays at home nice and safe and maybe just have a traveling small firewire drive and reload you main drives when you get home. there is all sorts of ways to do this but we need to get you into a workflow process with your drives first to get the most out of it. The biggest drawback to a laptop solution only is scratch drive for CS3, this could be done in the E sata since that is the fastest way to go. But first we need to know how you work than build a setup around that. there is also Time capsule which with ethernet can be your home network drive. depends if you want to do that. confusing i know but we need to get you organized and go from there.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My basic setup is pretty simple.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I will just have to go over this in Carmel with you more.

What we should be doing here is having a good 1 day computer setup seminar. Now that may have some real value for folks. Maybe a You tube for the forum. That be kind of cool

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What we should be doing here is having a good 1 day computer setup seminar. Now that may have some real value for folks. Maybe a You tube for the forum. That be kind of cool
    Yeah. A YOUtube showing just a flowchart of what you wrote above would be hilarious!

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Seriously,
    I think I do have somewhat of a plan and I think it combines some of how you work and some of how Jack works.
    I have learned my lesson on laptops "keep the bare minimum on the hard drive". Therefore, I would really only keep the software on the laptop and not any files, music etc.

If I travel with a laptop, I don't care that I don't have my full Lightroom Library. So for me I have no issue with arriving in Carmel with an empty Lightroom Catalogue.

So, my plan is to take one of the eSata drives and make that my main drive of my day to day stuff including images (RAWs and processed/ready to print files). It would also hold my Lightroom Library.

As soon as I have images to be loaded the DNGs would be copied both to this eSata drive and to another backup fire wire drive that I can store somewhere else.

The second eSata drive would be my Time machine back up.

If I set it up this way, the laptop should always have about 100-150gb of free space with 4gb of RAM and I shouldn't have any problems with both LR and CS3.

I think that is probably pretty adequate. The only main difference in my processing from today would be to change my files structure into shoot folders and have shoot folders on the hard drive. Then when I import to LR it would be from disk as discussed in this thread with Jack.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=860

I think this seems reasonably safe without being overkill for an amateur.
    For my images I would have a copy of the original DNG in 3 places: main eSata, backup eSata, and external firewire. For my processed files they would be in two places main eSata and backup eSata.

If I keep the MacBook and iMac, I will back those up on a time capsule but they won't be my image processing machines.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A new wrinkle?

I'm reading this morning that Apple will be updating to the new Montevina chips in June.
    There is a blurb on macrumors.com
    Is it worth just getting all the cr*p off my MacBook and freeing up disk space for 3-4 months?????

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A new wrinkle?

I'm reading this morning that Apple will be updating to the new Montevina chips in June.
    There is a blurb on macrumors.com
    Is it worth just getting all the cr*p off my MacBook and freeing up disk space for 3-4 months?????
    There will always be upgrades . Myself i am skipping the New Mac pro and the New MBP until the next gen. Just not enough horsepower gain from what i have.