The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

C1 crashs constantly

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
For what's it worth, here is what happens for the second time now:

System MacPro 8 core 2.93, 32 Gig Ram, OSX 10.57, C1 4.81

Message: 15x in one go! OUT OF MEMORY PLEASE RESTART THE APPLLICATION

C1 can not be force quit. Hard reset is the only option. :(

Ram used by C1 2.45 GB

Suggestions by Phase one:

- Delete .col45
- Delete com.phaseone.captureone.plist User / Library / Preferences
- Delete batch queue user/ / Library / Application support / Capture One

I am using C1 only since 2 weeks hence I have not 30,000 pictures in it. No one so far could explain to me whay this keeps happening.

I fear this is not the most stable software, may be? :confused:

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
P.S.

Forgot to say, the first time that happened, I was continuing to work in other apps, and after 15 minutes or so C1 came with the message

LOADING TIME EXPIRED DO YOU WANT TO FORCE QUIT YES OR NO

Confirming YES did not quit C1 either.

Further, no error report was offered to be send to phase one.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
MacPro 8core Nehalem 32 Gig OSX10.5.7, C1 crashs constantly

Update:

Some chap who knows more about it, suggest not to delete the three files. His assumption is, that C1 has a problem with this particular, admittedly relatively new Mac. He checks with other support people and get's back to me.

Looks like C1 is also not 64 bit, not yet anyway.

May be this thread helps people with a smimilar maschne in the future, if I can get a solution for this problem that is.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Speaking in the broad context of the totality of our customer's experience 4.8.1 has been the most stable version of Capture One since 3.7.9.

This is really saying something since 3.7.9 had a almost mythical reputation for stability.

That said; it sounds like for some unknown reason your particular setup is completely unstable. I know that such problems can be unbelievably frustrating and really try your patience. If you're interested in continuing to troubleshoot you could try the following steps to isolate the problem:
- Boot the Mac Pro using the software from another mac. To do this find another Intel Mac and boot it holding T which will turn that mac into an bootable "external" hard drive. Connect the two macs using a short (3-15ft) high quality firewire cable. Then boot the Troublesome Mac Pro holding Option and select the orange "external" hard drive (i.e. boot using the other mac's software). Then download and install C1, being careful to fully remove any trace of previous versions of C1.
- Boot another mac using the software from the Mac Pro. Reverse the above process; boot the troublesome Mac Pro holding T, boot the other mac holding option and select to boot from the "external" Mac Pro's software.

This will isolate if the Mac Pro's hardware or OS/software is the issue. If it turns out that the issue is the Mac Pro's software then I'd try running Disk Warrior and/or Cocktail which run various maintenance/repair scripts.

Doug

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

Don Libby

Georg - While I'm not using a MAC I am however using C1 4.8.1 on 2 separate 64 bit machines and have never had a moment of trouble that I didn't cause myself. It sounds like a hardware vs software problem like Doug suggests.

How long have you had this Mac? Did you add any hardware or software to it since loading C1?

I switched from Mac to PC over 5 years now so I'm very limited in any knowledge base and can only offer general thoughts so follow Doug's advise before mine :D.

Don

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I had few stability issues until the build before this last one. To fix that I followed Doug's CI clean instal advice and deleted the Col45, plist and batch files, reloaded, then restarted. Even so, I find it starts behaving oddly if I leave it open for more than about 3 hours at a time, so my current fix is to shut it down and restart it every few hours. Everything's been peachy since, FWIW ;)

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Thanks Folks!

Feedback from phase one:

This a known issue with the high performance Mac's and all they can recommend is to wait for 4.82 which is supposed to be out this month. <shrugs>

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Update:

I just had this problem occur for the first time, and think I have discovered the cause -- unfortunately it will require a coding fix, so all this tip will do is help you avoid the issue going forward.

It seems, at least in my case, the crash only occurs when browsing a session output folder from within C1, regardless of type, size or number of images within. I confirmed this by successfully forcing it to happen several times. It also appears it may only happen when you browse from within one session to a different session's output folder, but I have not confirmed that entirely with repeated trials yet (and frankly don't care to).

What's interesting, is I can move those same images out of the session output and into a normal folder, and have no issues browsing them there. :wtf: is that?

Hopefully we have a fix soon...