The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

C1 4.8.2 released

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
For what it's worth, I just did the update on my macbook pro, but I see no improvement on CPU handling, which puzzles me a bit. I thought, if they improve it for 8 cores, surely the dual core will benefit. (running OSX 5.8)

If I export P1 files to tiff, first of all it takes ages, I did not time it, but I would think 45 files are close to an hour. (2.6Ghz Dual Core, 4Gig Ram) Apart from that, what I am not impressed about is that both Cores are running at 100% and take a long time to process TIFF files.

As it stands, I would not risk using my macbook pro for C1 on a regular basis, mainly because C1 4.82 drives the hardware to the very edge. A constant CPU temperature of 87 degrees celsius during conversion is only 3 degrees below security shutdown.

May be it is not supposed to run on a macbook pro?

I have yet to run installation on my macpro.

On a positive note, the preview of files is much improved.
Improvement for 8-core machines is just that - specific tweaking to get the 8-core machines to use as close to 100% of all 8-cores as possible.

Processing speed on a 2-Core Laptop vs. an 8-core Mac Pro is always going to be significantly slower. This is not because C1 is doing poorly using the resources of the 2-Core (as you note it's using the hardware to it's utmost) but rather because C1 does so well on an 8-Core. For many day-to-day operations a fast laptop and fast desktop won't feel much different. For heavy image processing (pure math) the difference is tremendous.

As a side note, there is a great mini-program called SMC Fan Control which will let you ramp your fan speed manually. You can turn this on nearly-max in advance of processing and the computer will stay much cooler during processing. Apple, IMO, errors too much on the side of keeping the computer quiet versus cool. (disclaimer: I have no idea the extent to which ramping your fan to near-max will lower the life of the fans).

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Hey Doug,

hope things are going well for you guys, was reading your blog and saw the pictures of antelope, very nice!

When I left the windows world, I left all tweaking ambitions, hardware or software, behind me. What I mean is that I run a slim OSX, with as little ballast as possible, do not use third party tweks or anything else, and so far, considering I do music with the same maschine, it runs flawless.

Thanks nevertheless Doug, but I rather leave the fan control up to OSX, I understand your point though.

Don't get that wrong, but I use a lot of high performance software in the audio segment, very demanding on cpu and so on, but none has ever caused this extreme and constant cpu temperature, again, 3 degress short before security shutdown.

One stupid question comes to mind, I just did not find it, but say, you started a receipt to convert to TIFF, and you marked a larger number of files, then find you did something wrong and want to interrupt the process. How do you do that?

I could not find a STOP button, and because I did not want to wait another hour, it was a test, I decided to quit C1. :D Of course, starting it again the receipt was still active and I had to wait until it was finished.

Whats the secret?

Hey Guy,

I would not like to run hardware to the edge all the time. I say all the time, as i was hoping to use my macbook pro in the national park instead of bringing my big Mac along.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Don't get that wrong, but I use a lot of high performance software in the audio segment, very demanding on cpu and so on, but none has ever caused this extreme and constant cpu temperature, again, 3 degress short before security shutdown.
That's actually a compliment to Capture One. Few programs I know of make such efficient use of the hardware of the computer, which by definition means the computer will run close to it's limits.

One stupid question comes to mind, I just did not find it, but say, you started a receipt to convert to TIFF, and you marked a larger number of files, then find you did something wrong and want to interrupt the process. How do you do that?

I could not find a STOP button, and because I did not want to wait another hour, it was a test, I decided to quit C1. :D Of course, starting it again the receipt was still active and I had to wait until it was finished.
Simply go to the batch queue (the last tab - multiple gear icon), cilck on one of the images in queue, select all (apple-a) and push delete. In that same tab you can rearrange the queue (in case you want to get a particular image done first).

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe