Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

C1 4.8.2 released

http://www.captureintegration.com/20...-8-2-released/

Download: http://phaseone.com/Content/Downloads/CO4.aspx

Main improvements are
    - P65+ and P40+ image quality
    - improved stability (mostly regarding 8-core Mac Pros)
    - improved stability of Live Preview
    - option to lock tethered capture to vertical or horizontal format*
    - Network access much improved in speed for multiple folders NAS drives and for Mac AFP drives

Added Support for
    - Canon 500D, Pentax K7, Nikon D5000/6000, Olympus E-450/E-P1, Sony A230/A330

If none of these directly affect you I would stick with 4.8.1 until 4.8.2 has been out for awhile (nothing specific to 4.8.2 - just a good practice in general). 4.8.1 has been very stable and fast.

Anyone waiting for a specific major improvement should be aware the programmers are working on a major release which addresses many user requests for features; this release was a minor release to fix a few specific bugs.

Also for best results we recommend as always to completely uninstall the previous version prior to installing the new version per our instructions.

*Solves annoyance of shoots where camera is pointed strait down or up

Doug

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
    Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: C1 4.8.2 released

It still crashes on my 8-core Mac Pro if I browse to an output folder with a lot of images in it. On the upside, instead of the 6 or 8 "Out of Memory" warning boxes, you only get one, and it actually lets you shut C1 down. Also, it doesn't crash if I browse to an output folder with only one image in it -- and that's an improvement from before. On the downside, it still won't let you report the crash -- attempt to do so and the message locks up

Maybe C1 needs to hire some competent programmers...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I upgraded this AM but didn't do the whole uninstall process. It seemed to come back up fine but what should I be on the look out for?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry,

AFAIK the "out of memory" crash issue only affects 8-core Mac Pros. This release was supposed to fix that...

What is STUPID is that the behavior is easy to replicate -- just browse to a C1 session output folder with a lot of images in it and wait a few minutes. So why the folks at C1 cannot fix the broken code is beyond me.
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack,
    I get out of memory errors on a four core, or did with 4.8.1.
    Too soon to tell on 4.8.2 for me.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bob:

Try browsing a different session output folder -- one with lots of images -- from your current session. And then just wait a few minutes.
    Jack

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I upgraded this AM but didn't do the whole uninstall process. It seemed to come back up fine but what should I be on the look out for?
    As best as my experience can tell me 95% of the time (19 out of 20 people) will have zero problems upgrading without uninstalling first.

Since I'm the one who gets the call if they do have problems though I always suggest it as standard procedure :-).

If you don't have any problems then don't worry about the problems you don't have! :-)

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Terry,

AFAIK the "out of memory" crash issue only affects 8-core Mac Pros. This release was supposed to fix that...

What is STUPID is that the behavior is easy to replicate -- just browse to a C1 session output folder with a lot of images in it and wait a few minutes. So why the folks at C1 cannot fix the broken code is beyond me.
    That was my understanding as well. Hopefully next release!

In the meanwhile, if it crashes when you browse to an output folder... don't browse to an output folder. :-/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh, one more upside: You can set new default sharpening and NR settings and they actually appear to stick!
    Jack

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Oh, one more upside: You can set new default sharpening and NR settings and they actually appear to stick!
    See. Now to be fair you should have to apologize for insulting the kind Danish programmers :-).

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i'm having a problem. purchased pro ver 3.7x back when, upgraded to 4.x something, worked fine. recently upgraded to 4.8.1 and only the non-pro version installs, upgraded to 4.8.2, same thing.

when i try log in and phase one contact tech, it spits me out as not having a registered product (won't let me get in contact with tech support), yet when i check my account is shows me registered for 3.x pro
    also shows a history of activations, some on computers i no longer use.

any help?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Can you follow this procedure to deactivate?
    http://www.phaseone.com/HOME/Content...ite%20-%20Main

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bob,

Doug linked to this (re deactivation): http://www.captureintegration.com/20...-one-4-on-mac/

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

the problem with noise and sharpening preset is still not solved.
    see: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showpo...2&postcount=15

Post Thanks / Like

Guys -

I downloaded the upgrade. However, I noticed that images at 100% do not appear as sharp as they did in the previous version. Indeed, they appear blurry in the finer detail. I compared three or four images in Lightroom - very sharp at 100%.

I use sharpness - needless to say - as a primary 'keep/delete' signal. Scary, if I delete images that appear bluryy when they are really sharp...

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Cheers,

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Did you delete the *.cop proxy files?
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Did you delete the *.cop proxy files?
    -bob
    That sounds painful.

Deletion underway.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I will report in after checking the results.

Thanks.

Cheers,

John

Post Thanks / Like

Bob -

That worked. Thanks very much. I had a major worry moment when the images looked to be very blurred.

Cheers,

John

Subscriber Member Georg Baumann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For what it's worth, I just did the update on my macbook pro, but I see no improvement on CPU handling, which puzzles me a bit. I thought, if they improve it for 8 cores, surely the dual core will benefit. (running OSX 5.8)

If I export P1 files to tiff, first of all it takes ages, I did not time it, but I would think 45 files are close to an hour. (2.6Ghz Dual Core, 4Gig Ram) Apart from that, what I am not impressed about is that both Cores are running at 100% and take a long time to process TIFF files.

As it stands, I would not risk using my macbook pro for C1 on a regular basis, mainly because C1 4.82 drives the hardware to the very edge. A constant CPU temperature of 87 degrees celsius during conversion is only 3 degrees below security shutdown.

May be it is not supposed to run on a macbook pro?

I have yet to run installation on my macpro.

On a positive note, the preview of files is much improved.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I do it all the time on a MacBook Pro. Have not run into any issues.

Snow Leopard is coming and that may help us some
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Georg Baumann View Post
    For what it's worth, I just did the update on my macbook pro, but I see no improvement on CPU handling, which puzzles me a bit. I thought, if they improve it for 8 cores, surely the dual core will benefit. (running OSX 5.8)

If I export P1 files to tiff, first of all it takes ages, I did not time it, but I would think 45 files are close to an hour. (2.6Ghz Dual Core, 4Gig Ram) Apart from that, what I am not impressed about is that both Cores are running at 100% and take a long time to process TIFF files.

As it stands, I would not risk using my macbook pro for C1 on a regular basis, mainly because C1 4.82 drives the hardware to the very edge. A constant CPU temperature of 87 degrees celsius during conversion is only 3 degrees below security shutdown.

May be it is not supposed to run on a macbook pro?

I have yet to run installation on my macpro.

On a positive note, the preview of files is much improved.
    Improvement for 8-core machines is just that - specific tweaking to get the 8-core machines to use as close to 100% of all 8-cores as possible.

Processing speed on a 2-Core Laptop vs. an 8-core Mac Pro is always going to be significantly slower. This is not because C1 is doing poorly using the resources of the 2-Core (as you note it's using the hardware to it's utmost) but rather because C1 does so well on an 8-Core. For many day-to-day operations a fast laptop and fast desktop won't feel much different. For heavy image processing (pure math) the difference is tremendous.

As a side note, there is a great mini-program called SMC Fan Control which will let you ramp your fan speed manually. You can turn this on nearly-max in advance of processing and the computer will stay much cooler during processing. Apple, IMO, errors too much on the side of keeping the computer quiet versus cool. (disclaimer: I have no idea the extent to which ramping your fan to near-max will lower the life of the fans).

RSS Feed: Subscribe

Subscriber Member Georg Baumann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey Doug,

hope things are going well for you guys, was reading your blog and saw the pictures of antelope, very nice!

When I left the windows world, I left all tweaking ambitions, hardware or software, behind me. What I mean is that I run a slim OSX, with as little ballast as possible, do not use third party tweks or anything else, and so far, considering I do music with the same maschine, it runs flawless.

Thanks nevertheless Doug, but I rather leave the fan control up to OSX, I understand your point though.

Don't get that wrong, but I use a lot of high performance software in the audio segment, very demanding on cpu and so on, but none has ever caused this extreme and constant cpu temperature, again, 3 degress short before security shutdown.

One stupid question comes to mind, I just did not find it, but say, you started a receipt to convert to TIFF, and you marked a larger number of files, then find you did something wrong and want to interrupt the process. How do you do that?

I could not find a STOP button, and because I did not want to wait another hour, it was a test, I decided to quit C1. Of course, starting it again the receipt was still active and I had to wait until it was finished.

Whats the secret?

Hey Guy,

I would not like to run hardware to the edge all the time. I say all the time, as i was hoping to use my macbook pro in the national park instead of bringing my big Mac along.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don't get that wrong, but I use a lot of high performance software in the audio segment, very demanding on cpu and so on, but none has ever caused this extreme and constant cpu temperature, again, 3 degress short before security shutdown.
    That's actually a compliment to Capture One. Few programs I know of make such efficient use of the hardware of the computer, which by definition means the computer will run close to it's limits.

One stupid question comes to mind, I just did not find it, but say, you started a receipt to convert to TIFF, and you marked a larger number of files, then find you did something wrong and want to interrupt the process. How do you do that?

I could not find a STOP button, and because I did not want to wait another hour, it was a test, I decided to quit C1. Of course, starting it again the receipt was still active and I had to wait until it was finished.
    Simply go to the batch queue (the last tab - multiple gear icon), cilck on one of the images in queue, select all (apple-a) and push delete. In that same tab you can rearrange the queue (in case you want to get a particular image done first).

RSS Feed: Subscribe