The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

C1 4.8.2 released

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
http://www.captureintegration.com/2009/07/31/capture-one-4-8-2-released/

Download: http://phaseone.com/Content/Downloads/CO4.aspx

Main improvements are
- P65+ and P40+ image quality
- improved stability (mostly regarding 8-core Mac Pros)
- improved stability of Live Preview
- option to lock tethered capture to vertical or horizontal format*
- Network access much improved in speed for multiple folders NAS drives and for Mac AFP drives

Added Support for
- Canon 500D, Pentax K7, Nikon D5000/6000, Olympus E-450/E-P1, Sony A230/A330

If none of these directly affect you I would stick with 4.8.1 until 4.8.2 has been out for awhile (nothing specific to 4.8.2 - just a good practice in general). 4.8.1 has been very stable and fast.

Anyone waiting for a specific major improvement should be aware the programmers are working on a major release which addresses many user requests for features; this release was a minor release to fix a few specific bugs.

Also for best results we recommend as always to completely uninstall the previous version prior to installing the new version per our instructions.

*Solves annoyance of shoots where camera is pointed strait down or up

Doug

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It still crashes on my 8-core Mac Pro if I browse to an output folder with a lot of images in it. On the upside, instead of the 6 or 8 "Out of Memory" warning boxes, you only get one, and it actually lets you shut C1 down. Also, it doesn't crash if I browse to an output folder with only one image in it -- and that's an improvement from before. On the downside, it still won't let you report the crash -- attempt to do so and the message locks up :rolleyes:

Maybe C1 needs to hire some competent programmers...

Terry

I upgraded this AM but didn't do the whole uninstall process. It seemed to come back up fine but what should I be on the look out for?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Terry,

AFAIK the "out of memory" crash issue only affects 8-core Mac Pros. This release was supposed to fix that...

What is STUPID is that the behavior is easy to replicate -- just browse to a C1 session output folder with a lot of images in it and wait a few minutes. So why the folks at C1 cannot fix the broken code is beyond me.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Jack,
I get out of memory errors on a four core, or did with 4.8.1.
Too soon to tell on 4.8.2 for me.
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Bob:

Try browsing a different session output folder -- one with lots of images -- from your current session. And then just wait a few minutes.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I upgraded this AM but didn't do the whole uninstall process. It seemed to come back up fine but what should I be on the look out for?
As best as my experience can tell me 95% of the time (19 out of 20 people) will have zero problems upgrading without uninstalling first.

Since I'm the one who gets the call if they do have problems though I always suggest it as standard procedure :).

If you don't have any problems then don't worry about the problems you don't have! :)

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Terry,

AFAIK the "out of memory" crash issue only affects 8-core Mac Pros. This release was supposed to fix that...

What is STUPID is that the behavior is easy to replicate -- just browse to a C1 session output folder with a lot of images in it and wait a few minutes. So why the folks at C1 cannot fix the broken code is beyond me.
That was my understanding as well. Hopefully next release!

In the meanwhile, if it crashes when you browse to an output folder... don't browse to an output folder. :-/

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Oh, one more upside: You can set new default sharpening and NR settings and they actually appear to stick!

jlm

Workshop Member
i'm having a problem. purchased pro ver 3.7x back when, upgraded to 4.x something, worked fine. recently upgraded to 4.8.1 and only the non-pro version installs, upgraded to 4.8.2, same thing.

when i try log in and phase one contact tech, it spits me out as not having a registered product (won't let me get in contact with tech support), yet when i check my account is shows me registered for 3.x pro
also shows a history of activations, some on computers i no longer use.

any help?

JohnH

Guys -

I downloaded the upgrade. However, I noticed that images at 100% do not appear as sharp as they did in the previous version. Indeed, they appear blurry in the finer detail. I compared three or four images in Lightroom - very sharp at 100%.

I use sharpness - needless to say - as a primary 'keep/delete' signal. Scary, if I delete images that appear bluryy when they are really sharp...

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Cheers,

John

JohnH

Bob -

That worked. Thanks very much. I had a major worry moment when the images looked to be very blurred.

Cheers,

John

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
For what it's worth, I just did the update on my macbook pro, but I see no improvement on CPU handling, which puzzles me a bit. I thought, if they improve it for 8 cores, surely the dual core will benefit. (running OSX 5.8)

If I export P1 files to tiff, first of all it takes ages, I did not time it, but I would think 45 files are close to an hour. (2.6Ghz Dual Core, 4Gig Ram) Apart from that, what I am not impressed about is that both Cores are running at 100% and take a long time to process TIFF files.

As it stands, I would not risk using my macbook pro for C1 on a regular basis, mainly because C1 4.82 drives the hardware to the very edge. A constant CPU temperature of 87 degrees celsius during conversion is only 3 degrees below security shutdown.

May be it is not supposed to run on a macbook pro?

I have yet to run installation on my macpro.

On a positive note, the preview of files is much improved.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I do it all the time on a MacBook Pro. Have not run into any issues.

Snow Leopard is coming and that may help us some