The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Drobo updates?

cjlacz

I'm using the Netgear Readynas Pro Pioneer which I like. Better support in Japan, or I probably would of gone for the Drobo Pro. Performance is better then the Drobo with firewire 800, but the Pro should be faster with iSCSI.

I'm going to to still caution people against raid-5 with these large drive 1-2 TB or more. Restores can take a lot of time and I recently had two drives fail, the second the day after I finished rebuilding from the first failure. If that had happened about 10 hours early my data would of been gone, but using RAID-6 (double redundancy) you are protected from an additional drive or read failure during rebuilds and drive upgrades. (Also a problem buying your drives all from the same batch)

If it's work related you should always have another set of backups, but that's especially true with these large drives and using 'only' raid-5. It's not as safe as you think.

My teacher recently lost a month's worth of photos, but fortunately no client photos, so he's learning not to trust new drives... the hard way. :-/