The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

C1 Pro Color editor

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just thought I would show this. We don't always get to shoot the most gorgeous women in the world but just your average Joe is more likely the case doing commercial photography. Anyway had to shoot a gentleman today that just got a little too much sun. So what to do . I put in the color checker just to make sure I nailed the WB. His first comment to me was can you get the red out, oh sure pal let me just call God and turn off the sun next time. :ROTFL:

Ah but I knew what I needed to do on the spot . C1 and color editor would save my bacon. The first shot is perfectly WB but obviously he is a red tomato.

So in color editor I selected under the advanced tab the red color in his cheeks and than desaturated it a couple points than also lightened the red. Now doing this globally in PS would obviously effect the whole image, in Color editor I am only dealing with the red I selected so the rest of the image pretty much stays as is except of course if it has a serious amount of red in it. Now after a little fine tuning he still has a touch of red but it is much more natural looking. Now I can copy these adjustments and apply to any image I want or actually make a pre-set and save that and apply. The point here is you have some options when running into situations like this that we never had in the old days and thinking on the spot what solutions you can apply after the fact. I call it problem solving and a big part of a photographers life.

I just picked any image and did nothing else to these but was more interested in getting one correctly before applying it to the set. Anyway here is the difference and a handy dandy tool that I use quite often even for creative stuff to enhance color.

Guy Mancuso

BTW for you lighting buffs . That is a Mola Demi White with a white sock on it.

Oh and my plug for the week, this is just one of the advanced raw processing techniques we teach on the workshops.:D

Guy Mancuso

Waiting for someone to ask me what a sock is. LOL

Basically sail cloth or soft box material wrapped with elastic to put over a reflector

fotografz

Nice job.

BTW, can't you do that in PS? Select the area/feather to need, go to > "Select Color"> Red > adjust to taste with the sliders.

Doesn't C1 have a skin tone selector? I thought I saw one ... like "Honey Tone" and stuff like that? That's a nice feature.

-Marc

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Nice example of a subtle but effective change. Thanks Guy.

Now if you could turn your attention to his tie...

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Nice job.

BTW, can't you do that in PS? Select the area/feather to need, go to > "Select Color"> Red > adjust to taste with the sliders.

-Marc
Yep. More than one way to skin a cat.

This method has a few advantages:
1) You can copy/paste the adjustments to 1 or 1000 images in a matter of seconds. No need to batch process. Fast+Easy with no additional file-size.
2) If you're shooting tethered you can set the incoming image to have this adjustment made at the time of capture so that the client only ever sees the image with adjustments ("wow I look great!").
3) The change can be very easily saved as a preset so that in future similar situations you can correct them very quickly.
4) Making such changes at the RAW conversion level rather than modifying an already converted TIFF is preferable for absolute image quality. The difference (assuming you use 16-bit tiffs and adjustments layers) is not huge, but every bit helps on large prints for discerning eyes.
5) This keeps you within Capture One's workflow. For instance Guy could use Capture One's "Make Web Contact Sheet" to have a online proof for the customer in a matter of 10 seconds rather than need to open Photoshop, make the adjustments, and then make a contact sheet.

I'm sure Guy wants to do a great job for the client, but the faster he can complete that great job the more profit he makes (self-employed you MUST consider your labor/time as a cost).

That said, Photoshop has the advantage of being able to limit the adjustment to a particular local area.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe

Last edited: