The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

timbuk2 snoop bags? Anyone used one?

dude163

Hi all, Ive been looking for a water ( well SNOW ) proof camera bag for my M8 and Timbux2 has the snoops on sale for 59 bucks.

has anyone used/tried one?

rrdiaz30

I use a custom Timbuk2 classic messenger bag in gray wool (x-small) with the Snoop camera bag insert (x-small). Here are some images with an M9, Summicron-M 35mm ASPH, Summicron-M 50mm and Elmarit-M 90mm stowed in their respective cases. There is still room for an iPad in the back inner pocket. I also ordered the velcro silencers that Timbuk2 offers.

Rick

Shashin

Hi all, Ive been looking for a water ( well SNOW ) proof camera bag for my M8 and Timbux2 has the snoops on sale for 59 bucks.

has anyone used/tried one?
Where are you getting your snow? We have been having a really dry and warm winter in Maine.

DReilly

Haven't used the snoop, but I have a Timbuk2 messenger bag with a custom insert made by Martilena. It's excellent! My messenger is a size medium and I wanted to go smaller, so I bought a Rickshaw zero messenger and had Martilena make me an insert for that. Highly recommended if you want to start with the bag and add the "camera" part later.

Haven't used the snoop, but I have a Timbuk2 messenger bag with a custom insert made by Martilena. It's excellent! My messenger is a size medium and I wanted to go smaller, so I bought a Rickshaw zero messenger and had Martilena make me an insert for that. Highly recommended if you want to start with the bag and add the "camera" part later.
No experience with Timbuk2, but Rickshaw bags are amazing. Order it with the X-Pac fabric which is really a Dimension Polyant sail material.

j. white

I haven't seen the Snoop, but I too have used a Timbuk2 messenger bag for many years as a general purpose and camera bag. I don't use inserts in mine. Rather I wrap my camera in an velvet bag, the lenses stay in their leather cases and gym clothes act as dividers. Flip flops in the bottom protect it all from shocks.

I understand that this may not be the kind of protection that everyone wants for their gear. It works for me, very well actually. The bag has been totally durable and remained waterproof through several years of heavy Northern California rain and shine. Even with all the discussion I read online about finding the perfect bag, I think I've found mine.

Question for rrdiaz30

The timbuk2 Snoop camera bag in XS looks perfect for my Leica M system. Your insert for the bag appears to have a zipper closure. I just called Timbuk2 and they said the XS does not have a zippered insert. The Small does have the zipper. Are you sure your bag is an XS? Also, on their web site it does not appear they offer the Snoop bag in a custom gray wool like your bag. How did you go about getting one like that? Thanks very much!

I have one, a small size. It's a nice bag, as is everything from Timbuk2. My issue with the bag is with the front pockets, they are very tight and layered, so if you fill one, you loose the pocket in front of it or behind it because of the bulk; several pockets become one. I do like that there is a laptop slot, which fit my iPad or 11" macbook air nicely. The removable insert is awesome and comes out easily to use in other bags. The insert does completely fill the bag, and there is little to no room for anything else.

Bottom line, if you're looking for a bag to carry only camera gear and nothing else, it's a great bag!

I looked at the retrospective 5, but the lack of a laptop/iPad slot kept me away.

rrdiaz30

Question for rrdiaz30

The timbuk2 Snoop camera bag in XS looks perfect for my Leica M system. Your insert for the bag appears to have a zipper closure. I just called Timbuk2 and they said the XS does not have a zippered insert. The Small does have the zipper. Are you sure your bag is an XS? Also, on their web site it does not appear they offer the Snoop bag in a custom gray wool like your bag. How did you go about getting one like that? Thanks very much!
Hello,

Yes, my Snoop is the XS size with zipper. Here is a picture of the tag. It fits my XS messenger bag perfectly. That's odd that Timbuk2 said that.

Rick