The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus OM-D discussion

jonoslack

All

I know everyone is all over the 45/1.8 but there is a lot to be said for the Leica 45/2.8. I appreciate the aperture is slower but this is the one lens I cannot bear to part with. In my calculations to sell bits of kit here and there I always come back to feeling I can't part with this lens. Incidentally, I'd sell all my Leica kit first, that is how good I think it is.

Just my two cents.

LouisB
Hi Louis
I don't know the 45 f1.8, so I can't compare, but I'm right with you on the Leica - the nicest macro lens I've ever used I think.

I'm interested to see how good the macro mode on the 12-50 is (that's 45mm as well).

all the best

jonoslack

Hi-de-hi Jono,

Wow - you're really serious about your m43 kit :thumbup:
But I'd really like to hear from you how the 100-300 handles with/without grip.

Thanks and kind regards.
HI Bart
Rather unlike everyone else, I'm more interested in using the camera with zooms. I got the 100-300 on ebay for just over £300 - I'm not getting any of the primes for a while anyway (when I decide if I go with the OMD or the NEX7).

But I'll keep you informed (won't get the grip for at least a month).

all the best
Jon

Knorp

Rather unlike everyone else, I'm more interested in using the camera with zooms.
I'm in the same boat: primes are for the M :eek: , although I have a really lovely 50/1.2 Pentax.
My current m43 lens line-up: 100-300, 14-140, 7-14, 45 macro (also 14-45, 45-200 but those are rarely used).

But I'll keep you informed (won't get the grip for at least a month).
No problem, I can wait ... :D

Kind regards.

jonoslack

I'm in the same boat: primes are for the M :eek: , although I have a really lovely 50/1.2 Pentax.
My current m43 lens line-up: 100-300, 14-140, 7-14, 45 macro (also 14-45, 45-200 but those are rarely used).

No problem, I can wait ... :D

Kind regards.
Hi Bart
I'd forgotten you had the m43 stuff - that's quite a collection of the great and the good lenses! I'm afraid I'm going to find the 7-14 difficult to resist and the 45 macro as well.
How do you feel about the 100-300 (mine arrived at home today, so I'll see it this evening).

all the best

Knorp

Hi Bart
I'd forgotten you had the m43 stuff - that's quite a collection of the great and the good lenses! I'm afraid I'm going to find the 7-14 difficult to resist and the 45 macro as well.
How do you feel about the 100-300 (mine arrived at home today, so I'll see it this evening).

all the best
Well, you're basically asking the wrong person here, after all I'm still shooting my first copy of the DA*16-50 ... :eek:

But seriously, it's not too heavy for hand-held shooting, focussing is not as buttery smooth as with the 14-140, but I think the 100-300 is a wonderful lens capable of great results for a modest price. You'll like it !

Kind regards.

Jonas

[Knorp posted a bird image, a dramatic close-up]

Great work, I like it all incl the perspective, the light and the tonality!

Terry

Hi Bart

all the best
Most of my images (90%) from Kenya were with the 100-300. I have them hung at 17x25. The lens does a fine job.

jonoslack

Well, you're basically asking the wrong person here, after all I'm still shooting my first copy of the DA*16-50 ... :eek:

But seriously, it's not too heavy for hand-held shooting, focussing is not as buttery smooth as with the 14-140, but I think the 100-300 is a wonderful lens capable of great results for a modest price. You'll like it !

Kind regards.
HI Bart
This is fantastic - what an excellent shot - the lens arrives and seems good, but it's dark and drear here :cry:

biglouis

The 100-300 has produced great shots for me but also lead me into doubts about whether m43rds can hack it for bird photography - hence my thread 'm43rds dilemma' in this forum.

That said, used carefully as Knorp has shown it is the best value for money lens (after the 20/1.7) I know off. For landscape it is fantastic.

LouisB

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I am actually in a similar situation - want the 300 focal length but cannot decide between the Olympus 75-300 and the Panasonic 100-300.

Any experiences which one would be better? I know the 75-300 is more expensive, but that difference is not significant if I can get superior IQ.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks

Peter

smartwombat

Re: Fun with the Olympus OM-D

oh sure
the thing now is that this camera doesnt black out between frames. Apparently even at 9fps the 'video' feed through liveview is constant
Ah, I've been shooting at Laguna Seca with the OM-D and I can assure you the EVF blanks out making panning bursts of shots pure guesswork.

Not anywhere near as bad as my GH-1 or E-P1, but still annoying.

Terry

Can someone tell me if the OM-D has the facility to store custom settings?

Keith
You can store them, but then try using them :cussing:

I will let someone else explain the details. It is incomprehensible to me how it works (or doesn't). :banghead:

Jonas

Can someone tell me if the OM-D has the facility to store custom settings?

Keith
You can store them, but then try using them :cussing:

I will let someone else explain the details. It is incomprehensible to me how it works (or doesn't). :banghead:
You have a possibility to save four different sets of settings and recal them at will.
The camera can save about everything you like to the so called MySettings. Calling one of the slots up is technically easy but includes some pressing of buttons... I think there also is a way to assign one of the function buttons to get faster access to the MySettings slots but I haven't looked at how this is done.

clark666

Re: Menu right down right...: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
E-M5 : pages 111-115 contains a huge table describing which settings can be stored in the Mysets, which will be returned to the default value with a basic reset and which will return to default with a full reset.

When affecting a Myset to a function button, the manual names this a Quick Myset : this means that the settings would only be effective when you press the Fn button. As soon as you release the button, the camera will return to its previous state. (cf manual p. 42)

E-P3 : The manual (cf p. 35) describes the Quick Myset in the same way as for the E-M5.
And you will find the same table as in the E-M5's manual, pages 107-110.

Given the way the Quick Myset is implemented, I prefer to keep the programmable buttons for something else.
rrr_hhh

250swb

I think there is some slight ambiguity between the words 'Set' and 'Reset' in the MySet menu, perhaps 'Set' and 'Clear' would have been better? But either way it is easy and intuitive,.... as soon as you know how!

No, it isn't difficult, but with all the things that can be changed on the camera it is a good idea to have your main settings recorded in one of the MySet places, if nothing else just to roll back to your datum point before leaving the house in the morning.

Steve