The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Monochrom Lens Preferences

Maggie O

Agreed entirely with Jaap. While I haven't delved much past 1960's era lenses (Rigid 'cron, Canon 35 mm f/2.8 LTM, 90 'cron v2), I can say that Mandler era lenses and the prior generation do very very well....I find that the MM's tonal rendering bonds well with old glass, as much is rescued in the midtones that may have been flattened out in colors or BW color conversions... THe same lenses that frustrated me on the M9 now are re-claimed on the MM, IMHO that is... modern lenses render richly, but at times, critcally and clincially on the MM....maybe because the sensor resolves so much detail
Ashwin, THANK YOU! I thought my eyesight was going when I started having trouble getting a pleasing photo from my '51 Summaron on my M9-P. The old glass and the M9 really do react differently than they did on the M8 and it's not just me.

Obviously, I gotta get a MM now. :toocool::bugeyes::D

V

Vivek

I'm looking forward to using some wonderful vintage glass on my monochrom. Basically, after the realization that I'm back to a Ramen noodle diet to pay for it, that's all I can afford to put on mine!
I do hope you would have enough cash to buy various filters to use on those old lenses. The filters are cheap but having to deal with odd sized filter threads is a different matter!

Peter Klein

Ashwin, THANK YOU! I thought my eyesight was going when I started having trouble getting a pleasing photo from my '51 Summaron on my M9-P. The old glass and the M9 really do react differently than they did on the M8 and it's not just me.

Obviously, I gotta get a MM now. :toocool::bugeyes::D
I own an M8, but have played with a friend's M9. I felt the same thing--the M8 is a better B&W camera. The M9's different color rendition and the built-in noise filtering of the RAW files do things that take away a bit of B&W's "it" factor. The M8 is noisier, but both sharper and better tonally in B&W. And you're right, with the older lenses, the M8 seems to do better and the M9 seems to do worse.

I too would love an MM, but it's kind of out of my socio-economic bracket...:cry:

cam

I own an M8, but have played with a friend's M9. I felt the same thing--the M8 is a better B&W camera. The M9's different color rendition and the built-in noise filtering of the RAW files do things that take away a bit of B&W's "it" factor. The M8 is noisier, but both sharper and better tonally in B&W. And you're right, with the older lenses, the M8 seems to do better and the M9 seems to do worse.

I too would love an MM, but it's kind of out of my socio-economic bracket...:cry:
the M9 is maligned somewhat, but... for true lovers of b/w and/or old lenses, the Monochrom is definitely the next step.

honestly, before the the Monochrom, i would give the nod to the Epson R-D1 but that is obviously my bias.

still, i think the Monochrom is something to keep an eye out for (all the people that may have bought it, but miss colour) when people jump on the M... the Monochrom is the closest you can get to film -- and then some.

just brilliant!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
honestly, before the the Monochrom, i would give the nod to the Epson R-D1 but that is obviously my bias.
Very interesting. I was a big fan of the R-D1 and owned two of them at various times. I always thought that Epson got a lot right with that camera (and ironically also were the first DRF with the IR issue, although most of us didn't necessarily realize it at the time until the M8 came out and we were suddenly IR bleed aware).

Maggie O

I think the Fujifilm X100 really spoiled me; it makes the most glorious B&W images. Next to a MM, that is.

Sigh. Lust.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I do hope you would have enough cash to buy various filters to use on those old lenses. The filters are cheap but having to deal with odd sized filter threads is a different matter!
Luckily I have a local dealer who excels at finding, selling at a reasonable price, and sourcing the various vintage filters required for truly excellent B&W imagery with vintage lenses. Well, at least until I actually need them myself that is! :ROTFL:

algrove

1. 28/2.0 whereas on the M9 the 35 FLE
2. 90/2.0 AA
3. Lux's 35 and 50
4. Yes, yellow, but mostly orange for landscapes.

Paratom

Just bringing up this thread again.
I have a new favorite lens for the MM: at the moment it is the 50 Summicron.
I grabbed a used M6 with a 50mm chrome Summicron (the price was just too good) and for some reason I now allmost allways bring the 50Cron (together with the 28 Cron) with the MM.
The images do look very balanced, smooth, subtile. Anybody wants a Noctilux or Summilux 50mm?

cam

as long as this thread is revived, would just like to reiterate my love of all things Mandler!

just came back on a whale watch tour with the 75 Lux and my jaw is dropping down to the tops of my little sun-burned feet.

(my only quibble is the pathetic framelines for 75mm when shot close, pfffft!)

algrove

My revised list only based on a 9 lens test and some usage of 50/40mm lenses.

1. APO 50

2. 50 f1.0 Mandler

3. 40/2.0

If interested, I will reveal all 50 lenses used.

Paratom

1. APO 50

2. 50 f1.0 Mandler

3. 40/2.0

So what makes the APO 50 to jump on #1.
I am sure it is excellent, but how and in what way would you see that in the images. And how much better is it?
Would you mind sharing some images form the 50AA?

V

Vivek

1. APO 50

2. 50 f1.0 Mandler

3. 40/2.0

I would like to see some (any) pictures from those and all the other recommended lenses, "mandler", pre-war, Barnack, "run of the mill", whatever,....

PeterA

Truth is every damn lens I own demands to be put in front of the monochrome sensor. The 35luxFLE kicks serious A*** The only filters I use are ND - 3X and 6X for daylight required for all. You have to shoot to believe how much detail you pull from blacks and shadows...

which is the whole point of the mono really so of course you make great B&W from an M8 or M9 - if you want to shoot at night/low light - these cant deliver the file the mono does..

daylight shots are easier to convert to B&W - night shots...Mono kills the colour boxes.

mmbma

Mine favorite is the Canon 0.95 50mm. creamy and soft when wide open. The rendering is beautiful.

fotografz

Personally, as a 40+ year M B&W shooter, I'm thrilled by the MM. If I had to cut it all down to one camera, this would be it.

My personal preference for lenses tends to favor those more modern designs because the MM files are so even in tonal spread that you can PP almost any look/feel you desire. Of course, there is no PP technique that will deliver that Mandler character, like the Nocti 1.0 and 75/1.4 provide ... however, in my experience, those lenses require flawless technique (especially considering the acuity of the MM sensor), and one must be conscience of focus shift and correct for it ... which I am lousy at doing in the heat of shooting. Get it right, and the unique signature sings. Also wish I had my old 35/1.4 with its delicious glow.

After getting my peepers fixed, I promptly returned to the M50/0.95. I tickles me that the MM and this lens can see what I cannot.

The new mantra: f/0.95 @ ISO 10,000 and be there ... :bugeyes: :ROTFL:

After trading my 50/1.4 ASPH for a 75/2 AA, my new "two lens" favorite kit is 35/1.4 ASPH and this 75/2.

So, most used are 50, 35, and now 75 because I shoot mostly people in candid situations ... weddings, street, and corporate workings.

Peripheral lenses I use are a 21/1.4 ASPH, 28/2 ASPH, and a good old 90/2.8 portrait.

I will add a smaller 50/2 eventually ... although this mid-west boy balks at the prospect of a $7,000 f/2 lens :)

I'm stuck indoors as I heal from a total knee replacement (at this rate, I'll soon be more bionic than human :rolleyes:) ... so forgive the pet shots taken while testing the 75/2 @ f/2 processed a couple of slightly different ways:

-Marc

V

Vivek

It is better to have a bionic you kicking around! :)

Hope you recover well.