The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7s!

philip_pj

Sony seldom talks about DR and high ISO, but its sensors are incredibly good in this regard. Beating the low Mp Nikons will be relatively easy for the a7s, as here is a link to DxO's comparo of the a7r (with its smallish pixels) to the best Nikon can manage:

Nikon D4s versus Sony A7R versus Nikon D700 - Side by side camera comparison - DxOMark

As you can see, there is very little in it - and 36Mp versus 16Mp or 12Mp. In fact the D700 is outclassed by the a7r in all respects, and the D4s is a little better in DR at intermediate ISO levels - that is it..I expect this a7s to be something very special regarding low light, something much better than the competition.

And how good to have this camera in the 'FE fold'...and how about this:

'Currently under development, a brand-new full frame E-mount power zoom 28-135mm, F4 lens appeals to quality-conscious movie-makers. '

jfirneno

Sony seldom talks about DR and high ISO, but its sensors are incredibly good in this regard. Beating the low Mp Nikons will be relatively easy for the a7s, as here is a link to DxO's comparo of the a7r (with its smallish pixels) to the best Nikon can manage:
As you can see, there is very little in it - and 36Mp versus 16Mp or 12Mp. In fact the D700 is outclassed by the a7r in all respects, and the D4s is a little better in DR at intermediate ISO levels - that is it..I expect this a7s to be something very special regarding low light, something much better than the competition. '
Philip:
I believe Sony can definitely match the high ISO noise performance of Nikon. What they haven't demonstrated yet is the ability to competently autofocus as well as Nikon in low light.
Regards,
John

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

Nikon D4s versus Sony A7R versus Nikon D700 - Side by side camera comparison - DxOMark

As you can see, there is very little in it - and 36Mp versus 16Mp or 12Mp. In fact the D700 is outclassed by the a7r in all respects, and the D4s is a little better in DR at intermediate ISO levels - that is it..I expect this a7s to be something very special regarding low light, something much better than the competition.
The D700 should be outclassed. It's a 5 year old camera with an even older sensor. Still, the difference up to the D4s is almost as big. For video, the difference will be a lot bigger, since video can't be downsized to improve high ISO performance.

For those of us who do photography at 12-16MP and video on the side, this is great news. Suddenly, the A7s is on the horizon like a giant, Japanese sunrise. This would be a great companion for my GH3 and future GH4. Now, hoping for a sensible price...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I don't have a immediate need BUT if I decide to offer video than Wow this fits right in my system. Gotta love that and more important for the FE line it will certainly grow. Great product for Sony.

jagsiva

It claims to have low light AF to extremely low levels. If it actually has capability close to Nikon's low light cameras (D3S, D4, D4S) then this could be the camera I need to supplement the A7R. But of course that's a big if.
Regards,
John
AF sounds a lot like A7R, but I saw this on the sony site:

"High-speed, high-precision Fast Intelligent AF
Supreme sensitivity and an advanced new algorithm deliver ultra-high AF speed even in low-light conditions (as low as EV -4)"

The low end on A7R is EV0, so there could be something different here.

philber

It seems to me the A7s is aimed straight at the very many buyers of 5DII/5DIII from the semi-pro and professional worlds. There is no reason tis camera should me more expensive than its A7 siblings, and performance, if judged from the short YouTube movie from Sony fairly screams "images made with an expensive video setup".
Sony makes a lot of sense with this video-cam, IMHO.

philip_pj

It's an E mount so ALL lenses fit. I imagine video guys are as bad as us here in being lens enthusiasts. And now with huge DR, a very big deal in video from my reading (I am totally ignorant of vid but have a friend interested greatly).

They sure play to their strengths these days after a shaky start just over five years back. Even the oddball stuff is interesting like those stick on cams to phones. They stopped trying to be a digital Minolta after the a900/a700.

Jorgen, I agree totally re the D700 - great for its day - but I read a lot about how it and the other low Mp Nikons are in a class of their own so just pointing to an urban myth developing, probably a futile effort. ;-)

philip_pj

Some people are saying this is the camera the FE 24-70 was made for, interesting thought as it would be very good, I remember thinking how good the steady cam effect was in that lens back when the a7/a7r promos started 4-5 months ago. Great FL range too. Would still do good stills too, I guess. Small body might please video shooters as well as stills people?

They might sell a few of these.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
This Sony makes sense to me. As most of my stills end up in the web (or brochure) these days and having shot many times for clients like John Deere with 12MP, this new A7s, with a broad range of video options, makes more sense for me than the other two. Let's see the reviews.

@Guy: there is a MASSIVE learning curve for the stills shooter moving to video. I would be delighted to write an article on this for getDPI, if requested. Actually, hi-qual. audio is the key... K

jonoslack

What a fantastic camera - certainly not for me (don't shoot video, don't need better high ISO) but still a fantastic camera.

Viramati

Well video is of no interest to me but I would like the higher iso detail (with better DR as well) but 12mp is a little on the low side but still eminently usable for a lot of what I do. On the other hand I remember when I used to push Tri-X to 800 or even 1600iso!!! so what the A7 already offers is pretty amazing for us older folk. Will have to see what price it come in a as this could be more useful for me than the A7r

Thorkil

video has no interest at all, but I could certainly use this for low-light situations inside Building, when being at Work, where bad light perhaps represent 40% of the situations. BUT, but, but then I might need both the 7 and the s, which indeed wasn't my wallet's intention at all (!)(Sony, why should this happen!) Another skizofreniac dilemma seems building up in the Horizon!
thorkil

Godfrey

I've always been interested in video, but haven't had the time to get involved with it. Interesting camera for sure. That could change. When I couldn't say.

I'm still happy with the A7. :)

G

Some people are saying this is the camera the FE 24-70 was made for, interesting thought as it would be very good, I remember thinking how good the steady cam effect was in that lens back when the a7/a7r promos started 4-5 months ago. Great FL range too. Would still do good stills too, I guess. Small body might please video shooters as well as stills people?

They might sell a few of these.
There is a power zoom full frame e-mount coming.

Stefan Steib

I see it like this:24 x 8Mpix images a second at 409600 iso with probably 15 (or more !)stops of DR ?
Only 12 Mpix ?
I don´t care ! This will be body number 2 for my bag and the perfect companion for the A7R. and even better: as the A7s does not have the 4k video built in but in a separate device - I do not have to pay for it when I don´t want to use it. And WHEN I want to use it later, I just rent it or buy it when it is catching on.

My oh my ! That is CLEVER !

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

jfirneno

So, I've had a chance to think (a little bit) about this new camera.
Some good points, adding EFCS and reinforced lens mount seem to indicate that Sony is aware of issues from A7R launch. Considering the short turn-around time it looks like they are improving their reaction time to feedback (congratulations to us for being such effective beta testers!). If the low light autofocus is actually capable (not state of the art, because this is CD only) and assuming that the high ISO noise is a further improvement over the A7R, then I think a lot of people will be interested in this camera for occasion/sports shooting (assuming the price isn't D4 range). Of course this is Sony so I'm going to take a wait and see approach (especially since the A9 is supposed to be announced later in the year). But I do think it's exciting to see so much energy being expended by Sony on FF cameras.
Regards,
John

fotografz

IBIS would have made its contender for real low-light candid work with the FE primes where DR and ISO performance become somewhat more important than resolution. I'd hate to always be wasting the higher ISO on getting the shutter speed up for hand held work.

I'll wait until reports of the AF performance come rolling in.

- Marc

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
This Sony makes sense to me. As most of my stills end up in the web (or brochure) these days and having shot many times for clients like John Deere with 12MP, this new A7s, with a broad range of video options, makes more sense for me than the other two. Let's see the reviews.

@Guy: there is a MASSIVE learning curve for the stills shooter moving to video. I would be delighted to write an article on this for getDPI, if requested. Actually, hi-qual. audio is the key... K
Kit, I will be looking forward to your front page article!:lecture: