The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Service

D&A

Louis you know full well there is no way you can capture meaningful and memorable artistic images with something like an APS camera and lens system such as Fuji's. We all know its the equipment, not the photographer. Therefore since your images "sing" and a delight to view, maybe there is something wrong with this stated logic. :). Guess some reevaluation is in order.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

fotografz

Good to hear APS Fuji is working out for you Louis.

Optical qualities are a matter of subjective opinion, as are different formats.

Personally, I've tried a lot of different systems and remain steadfast in my preference for Leica optics and FF+ sensors ... not out of some elitist nonsense, but because it is ingrained in my aesthetic proclivities developed over decades of use and connection with successful imagery (to my eye), personally and professionally.

However, if Leica (or anyone else) thinks they can tread heavily on such preferences with abuses such as poor engineering, zero communication and ridiculous service experiences they need to rethink that posture swiftly.

I know from my professional marketing background that gaining back lost clients is far more expensive and difficult compared to keeping them happy when they already prefer you. What Leica is doing to their loyal base is
downright suicidal. Now with web based communications, every poor experience is made public, every engineering error or "cost savings material choice" circumnavigates the globe in hours. Leica seems to act as if this wasn't a modern marketing reality.

While I applaud Leica for standing behind some epidemic product defects such as cracked sensor covers, sensor corrosion, and failed AF gearing ... the massively inconvenient, long drawn out, no feed-back follow up is beyond ludicrous, and IMO is personally insulting ... not to mention downright nerve-wracking.

My belief in, and preference for, Leica has cost me dearly. The reward to cost ratio is now well beyond any justification.

Unfortunately, unlike some here, I can no longer afford to cut those losses since Leica seems to be working overtime to devaluate the gear I do have ... primarily the S system and to a lesser degree my MM body (which fortunately seems to be staving off the corrosion issue so far).

My work-around to maintain some Leica optical qualities has been to use long held M lenses on a Sony body made all the more versatile with the Techart AF adapter. The mechanical M lenses can be serviced elsewhere if repairs are needed, but so far that has been unnecessary.

- Marc

pesto

As a positive note and with all that has been voiced acknowleged, I must say that, all of the frustrations and catastrophies aside, my S kit, when in good repair, is unmatched in nearly all respects; If I manage to get things right on my end the camera does its part exceptionally well. For me and much of what I do, the inclusion of an on camera TTL flash is an additional major boon that often goes unmentioned.

Douglas

Last edited:

fotografz

As a positive note and with all that has voiced acknowleged, I must say that, all of the frustrations and catastrophies aside, my S kit, when in good repair, is unmatched in nearly all respects; If I manage to get things right on my end the camera does its part exceptionally well. For me and much of what I do, the inclusion of an on camera TTL flash is an additional major boon that often goes unmentioned.

Douglas
Yes, Douglas, especially down here in this beautiful Florida light!:)

It IS pretty nifty to shoot on-camera speed-lights at high shutter speeds without resorting to weak HSS.

However, it does all have to be in good repair ... which unfortunately is the issue for far too many folks, far too many times.

My CS-70 is still in the black hole of Leica service with nary a word from them, not even acknowledgment they have it, (had to affirm that with UPS myself).

Sent in October 28, hoping I get it back by the the end of January or February ... Sigh ...

- Marc

algrove

Lou please send back your “Leica Fan Boy” pin and certificate !

Roger
You know me Roger and as such I use the certificate as a dart board background and the pin is still in good shape just to prove I spent considerable sums with Leica.

algrove

Marc
Did not know you had a winter escape plan. Would be great to meet up this winter somewhere. Roger and I plan on trying a few days in the Keys. Must look up where your winter residence is located. As a recall many from MI settle on the West coast as that's where I-75 comes into FL since I grew up in Midland.

RVB

Yes, Douglas, especially down here in this beautiful Florida light!:)

It IS pretty nifty to shoot on-camera speed-lights at high shutter speeds without resorting to weak HSS.

However, it does all have to be in good repair ... which unfortunately is the issue for far too many folks, far too many times.

My CS-70 is still in the black hole of Leica service with nary a word from them, not even acknowledgment they have it, (had to affirm that with UPS myself).

Sent in October 28, hoping I get it back by the the end of January or February ... Sigh ...

- Marc
Could you send it direct to Germany if it happens again? Turnaround is way faster, i had a motor replaced and it was just over a week,UPS or FedEx could get it to Wetzlar very fast, I also rang direct and got call back from an engineer, very fast too.

Rob

algrove

Could you send it direct to Germany if it happens again? Turnaround is way faster, i had a motor replaced and it was just over a week,UPS or FedEx could get it to Wetzlar very fast, I also rang direct and got call back from an engineer, very fast too.

Rob
Rob
You are talking about sending from one common market country to another common market country. You might remember when Europe was not like today and all items attracted duty when being imported even from Germany, not to mention TVA. On this forum all do not live in a country that has a common border with Germany.

From the US just the export document can be a mess and then when you get it back government forms require a clearance usually from a freight forwarder since it's an import. If one line is incorrectly labeled from Leica you can end up paying duty again and claw back can take months.

It is for this reason most try to have a dealer or Leica USA themselves deal with all the export/import paperwork when items have to be sent to Leica Germany.

sjg284

Yes, exactly why all these "just send it to Leica Germany" responses we get in the US are so frustrating...
If I wanted to deal with the hassle of overseas round trip shipments & customs forms, what value is Leica USA adding?

Why should I buy through the official importer at all?
Why don't I just order from the lowest cost country (usually HK) and save $1000s?

Further, my local Leica Store encourages customers to just ship to Leica USA directly instead of having them do it on your behalf (aka - they don't want to deal with the Leica Service headache for you).

Rob
You are talking about sending from one common market country to another common market country. You might remember when Europe was not like today and all items attracted duty when being imported even from Germany, not to mention TVA. On this forum all do not live in a country that has a common border with Germany.

From the US just the export document can be a mess and then when you get it back government forms require a clearance usually from a freight forwarder since it's an import. If one line is incorrectly labeled from Leica you can end up paying duty again and claw back can take months.

It is for this reason most try to have a dealer or Leica USA themselves deal with all the export/import paperwork when items have to be sent to Leica Germany.

D&A

Thats the one thing I've been curious about for some time. Apparently many in the EU and elsewhere outside the States, simply drop off their Leica camera or equipment at their local Leica dealer who then takes care of getting it to Leica and back for service.

In comparison for those here in the States, the rule rather than the exception is for the end user to ship their Leica equipment off to Leica USA themselves. I wonder why this model for service is different here than elsewhere. I'm not saying there aren't exceptions in the States, but this appears to be the norm.

Dave (D&A)

fotografz

Thats the one thing I've been curious about for some time. Apparently many in the EU and elsewhere outside the States, simply drop off their Leica camera or equipment at their local Leica dealer who then takes care of getting it to Leica and back for service.

In comparison for those here in the States, the rule rather than the exception is for the end user to ship their Leica equipment off to Leica USA themselves. I wonder why this model for service is different here than elsewhere. I'm not saying there aren't exceptions in the States, but this appears to be the norm.

Dave (D&A)
I suppose that would depend on where you bought the Leica product. I can't see B&H handling service issues in the USA, and even more dedicated stores probably would prefer avoiding the hassle since the notion of being rewarded with consumer loyalty is next to non-existent these days.

Leica has tried to build a network of Brick & Mortar points-of-sale, but from my limited knowledge that's more about hands on selling as opposed to after-sale service.

When I was shooting Hasselblad professionally, they had a "dealer first" service policy. In my experience, that led to solving most issues without having to send in the gear. When you did, it came back from Europe in weeks not months. However, I dealt with a dedicated area dealer as opposed to a place like B&H.

- Marc

CVickery

My local dealer worked with me to deal with NJ for service (nothing major...coding a couple of lenses) and it went well. Perhaps it's part of the reason why I haven't had the issues that some here have. Trick is finding a dealer that is willing to help.

algrove

I had many (10-12) older Leica lenses 6 bit coded and sent my gear direct to Leica NJ myself, but that was when they had two women who cared about getting product into repair rapidly anf back to the customer on a very timely basis. They both left those positions within weeks of each other and as such things went downhill very rapidly after that from my experiences sending in lenses myself.

k-hawinkler

I had many (10-12) older Leica lenses 6 bit coded and sent my gear direct to Leica NJ myself, but that was when they had two women who cared about getting product into repair rapidly anf back to the customer on a very timely basis. They both left those positions within weeks of each other and as such things went downhill very rapidly after that from my experiences sending in lenses myself.

Thanks Lou. You mean to say Carmen Vargas isn't there anymore? :facesmack:

D&A

Thanks Lou. You mean to say Carmen Vargas isn't there anymore? :facesmack:
Both those women that Louis referred to were wonderful and tried their best to keep things together and running as smooth as possible under very trying conditions. My hats off to them!!

Dave (D&A)

doug

Update on my 280 APO: It arrived today, eight months after I sent it to Leica USA. I hope the rear cap wasn't on the lens when they smashed it.

Last edited:

fotografz

Mail room lad: "Oops-a-Daisy ... I dropped this big lens on the cement floor."

Supervisor: "Meh, just throw it in the box and send it back. We'll blame UPS."

Lad: "Hey, isn't it lunch time?"

:banghead: