The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with X1D

D&A

Hi Tim,

Thats wonderful Tim, thanks ever so much!. No rush for the raw file uploads, simply take your time and savor the day's shooting. All really well done!

Dave (D&A)

dwood

Thanks for posting these pics, Tim. The images have a pleasing, organic look to them with depth. They 'feel' good, if you know what I mean. Did you process these in Phocus or LR?

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thanks for posting these pics, Tim. The images have a pleasing, organic look to them with depth. They 'feel' good, if you know what I mean. Did you process these in Phocus or LR?
Thank you Douglas,

They were processed in LR. Sometimes the edges look a little funky colour wise and I have found that Phocus gets rid of that as part of the lens corrections routine, but because I don't like its sharpening and other tools, for now I am doing down and dirty in LR for 'fun with' purposes and only using Phocus if a file will really matter. In that case the method seems to be, import to Phocus, do lens corrections and nothing else, set sharpening and NR to zero and then send as a TIFF to LR.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Hi Tim,

Thats wonderful Tim, thanks ever so much!. No rush for the raw file uploads, simply take your time and savor the day's shooting. All really well done!

Dave (D&A)
Dave, here's an 'after and before'. Please excuse the hackingingly bad Photoshop clone job. Links to RAW for the two other files you requested are here and here.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Tim,

Seems like the resurgence of your old blog ... you have put in a LONG day!

Your cloned pic is very good but I wonder if dropping the exposure or highlights to
emphasize the pair might be more dramatic?

Thank you for all the effort ... sometimes one wants to savor the process without
all the conversation.

Bob

D&A

Dave, here's an 'after and before'. Please excuse the hackingingly bad Photoshop clone job. Links to RAW for the two other files you requested are here and here.

Once again thanks for uploading the images I requested. I just edited my comments here as I couldn't wait to have an initial look at both images. I haven't yet examined each in detail nor the Exif data and so have no idea yet what f-stop they were shot at (yet). What's apparent though is the evenness of the resolution between the center, right into the very edge of the frame on both sides. Holds true for both these images. There appears to be no peaking of center resolution which trails off as one examines the sides/edges. In my experience when a lens does this, it sacrifices a some of the central resolution in order to achieve lower than expected barrel distortion.

That's why one sees many 3rd party ultra wide angle lenses (like those 14mm lenses (35mm format) that are super sharp in the middle but whose resolution dramatically trails off considerably on the sides....yet but have extremely high levels of barrel distortion as the tradeoff. Its not a fast and hard rule, but it's something I regularly notice. Lovely performance but I'd love to see how they do with that announced 22mm lens.

As for the comparison of the two images of the parent and child,, in my opinion, the "cloned one" is a winner and the viewers eye and focus goes immediately to the pair and is not distracted by the car and other individuals near the waters edge. It now emphasizes both the relationship of the parent and child and also in a way how isolated they are in comparison to this expansive scene. Again this is my opinion. Nicely done!

Dave (D&A)

tashley

Subscriber Member
Once again thanks for uploading the images I requested I am in the process of downloading each and will have a close look at them late tonight.

As for the comparison of the two images of the parent and child,, in my opinion, the "cloned one" is a winner and the viewers eye and focus goes immediately to the pair and is not distracted by the car and other individuals near the waters edge. It now emphasizes both the relationship of the parent and child and also in a way how isolated they are in comparison to this expansive scene. Again this is my opinion. Nicely done!

Dave (D&A)
IMHO it's a question of both size of reproduction and of narrative intent. Though this shot is not a 'keeper' as such, I prefer the version with the vehicle and other people (provided it is reproduced at a size that allows the viewer to see what's going on) because it sets up more narrative: the father and child alone together are a nice romantic image but the other participants tell you much more about the scene. They are practicing a drill with inflatables, some sort of lifeguard thing, and so it ties together the idyllic with the underlying threat. More interesting, to me at least - and also more places for the eye to wander.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tim,

Seems like the resurgence of your old blog ... you have put in a LONG day!

Your cloned pic is very good but I wonder if dropping the exposure or highlights to
emphasize the pair might be more dramatic?

Thank you for all the effort ... sometimes one wants to savor the process without
all the conversation.

Bob
Thanks Bob - sadly it has been such a long day that that iteration will have to wait!

D&A

IMHO it's a question of both size of reproduction and of narrative intent. Though this shot is not a 'keeper' as such, I prefer the version with the vehicle and other people (provided it is reproduced at a size that allows the viewer to see what's going on) because it sets up more narrative: the father and child alone together are a nice romantic image but the other participants tell you much more about the scene. They are practicing a drill with inflatables, some sort of lifeguard thing, and so it ties together the idyllic with the underlying threat. More interesting, to me at least - and also more places for the eye to wander.
Tim, I edited my post above that you quoted and added additional comments prior to your posting here, especially about the performance characteristics of the 30mm.

Permit me to also add that I thought about exactly what you mentioned about the narrative of the image earlier today upon first seeing it. I felt then it worked both ways but thus becomes two very different images. Also agree in a moderate sized print, the parent child alone works better for me as it emphasizes the isolation and loneliness of the pair and as you suggested, in a larger print where one can see what's going on with the other elements, it thus becomes a more interesting image.

Dave (D&A)

P.S., Amended my comments above regarding print sizes for these two images.

Last edited:

Godfrey

They're simply two quite different photographs. I like them both. (How's that for being non-committal? :))

Thanks for posting your photos! I liked seeing them regardless of the equipment ...!

G

Grayhand

As a follow up on Godfrey´s post:

Tim, you can´t just publish photos like those her and expect me to be able to pass any judgment on the camera!
They are useless for that purpose :thumbdown:

You can´t publish photos as good as those and expect me to be able to see what the camera does.
I can only see the skill and the brilliant eye of the photographer. Only content and vision!
The camera becomes invisible here

What I really needs is a honest brick wall :thumbs:

Ray

D&A

A lonely tree from this morning's dog walk...

I don't know Tim, looks like two trees not one to me, commiserating with one another. Maybe both are lonely or maybe in the throngs of a warm embrace. Hard to tell. :) In any case, a very lovely image. Oh, what kind of dog do you have?

Dave (D&A)

hcubell

If you had to choose buying just one lens for the X1D would it be the 30mm ?
They are both exceptional lenses, but very different in application, obviously. One is a 72mm equivalent in FF 35mm terms, the other a 24mm equivalent. I tend to "see" tighter compositions and have more difficulty composing with wide angle lenses.