The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1D Firmware 1.17.2: Resizeable AF points AND Electronic Shutter!

I have to say I am surprised about the E-shutter (although everybody knew it already): hasn't Phase One offered this feature only for the 100 MP back and not for the 50MP (or am I mistaken??)

Nevertheless, very happy ... now I am waiting for the Hasselblad V-X-Adpater (want to use my 110/f2) and the Contax 645-X-Adpater, could be a dumb one, as I would use my 80/f2 only with the max aperture ...

Paul2660

Glad to see this on the Hasselblad as it makes this camera more interesting to me now, if it just had a tilting screen, but next gen may have that.

P1 only offers ES on the IQ3100, and sells the IQ100 without it and wifi (surprising). IMO the ES is a huge advantage for MF period. Especially the P1 and XF, since the XF still has a huge mirror to contend with. The vibration reduction settings never helped much for my work. but the ES makes telephoto work a dream, but you are tied to a tripod.

Phase never added it to the 50MP family of P1 backs, but it's obvious that it could be done, since Hasselblad and Fuji both now have ES and they are using the same basic chip (different filter arrays) as P1.

Overall not surprised I guess as that tends to be the track record for P1, but I am sure they have a good reason.

Paul Caldwell

tjv

Great news for the system! In my opinion the only things that put me off are the lack of a focus point selection joystick and better quality EVF, a la Leica SL.

Great that Hasselblad are moving forward and regardless of what I think is lacking, I still want one!

Eli

Any one test the electronic shutter yet... any reports? Also, is there a way to add a "switch" to the quick menu in the back for the electronic shutter (a short-cut)?

Thanks.

Eli

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Yes it works quite well...

Not without sound .... 1 click rather than 3 ... with the XCD lenses.

I am sure that the quick menu can be configured for a short-cut. But as I have native lenses not a major
interest of mine.

Smaller more numerous focus points is seamless ...

Altogether an easy upgrade.

Regards,

Bob

rayyen

What a horrible news to read when I wake up and catch this on my Facebook this morning. Feels like opening a can of worms in a forbidden chest. OMG... the temptation of playing around lenses is back.

docmoore

Honestly ... the sensor and the native XCD lenses are so good ... only an Alpa mount to a TC would tempt me.

Bob

tcdeveau

Just updated myself. Seamless upgrade. The smaller AF points are much needed and a very welcome addition. Electronic shutter also seemed to work well, was quieter than the normal shutter though not sure to what degree. Did they also add overexposure warning for blown highlights? I skipped the last upgrade, so wasn't sure if this was already there and I missed it, or if it was new to this firmware version. I think if they just add live histogram (rear screen and EVF), image playback in the EVF, and SD card mirroring, I'll be all set with all the firmware features I want/need.

I agree that I'm pretty satisfied with the XCD lenses and don't see myself trying to adapt many lenses. It's still a nice and welcome option to have though when you want to use telephotos (woulda been fun to try out on the Eclipse) or other specialty lenses (canon/nikon TS for example) when HC/HCD glass isn't available. I'm also needing more focal lengths than the presently available 30/45/90, so it's nice to have other options to fill the gaps until the 120/22/65/35-75 start shipping in numbers....assuming some adapters for 3rd party lenses start showing up soon.

docmoore

May I ask how silent is the electronic shutter. Any comparisons would be very helpful. Thank you.
Not that quiet...

Eliminates one metallic click and separates the two remaining clicks.

More like the discreet shutter mode on the M Leica ...

If they say it is quiet and repeat that soon we may believe it ... not!

So much less intrusive sound than regular but not silent.

Macht nichts.

In my view a nice update

Bob

sog1927

Honestly ... the sensor and the native XCD lenses are so good ... only an Alpa mount to a TC would tempt me.

Bob
It makes it at least theoretically possible to adapt a bellows, some tubes, and my Luminars and Photars. I trust it will permit fitting the x1d to a technical camera. It might allow me to adapt my rather large V-series lens collection (albeit with some pretty severe limitations) - I don't see an XCD equivalent for the ApoTessar anytime soon. I expect this will lead to at least a "dumb tube" V adapter, which would be sufficient for a lot of my purposes.

Some way to use the built-in shutter in my CF lenses would be nice (Hassleblad has told me that using the XH adapter with the H->CF adapter won't work), but this is still a very good start and will cover a lot of my personal use cases.

It lets me have a functional, portable camera system and still expand into the XCD lens line at an affordable (for me) pace. Bravo Hasselblad!

It is not totally silent, because still the aperture blades have to be closed and opened by a motor.

Nevertheless, if you put it on Mq-Mode (aperture already closed) with e-shutter it is totally silent now.

jng

The very thought of having a compact MF CMOS solution for using my treasured CF lenses has my head spinning. I sense an impending relapse of a bad case of GAS...

It is not totally silent, because still the aperture blades have to be closed and opened by a motor.

Nevertheless, if you put it on Mq-Mode (aperture already closed) with e-shutter it is totally silent now.
Yes but no live view is available in Mq mode, so you are totally blind.

abed

Indeed, no lifeview When choosing Mq.
Was this also the case with the previous Firmware or has this unpleasant feature been introduced with 1.17.2?
Also no automatic focusing with Mq, need to focus before shifting to Mq and then shoot. Obviously using a tripod. Totally silent.

MrSmith

is the file a smaller bit depth or compromised in any way using the electronic shutter?
i’m wondering if this is now a possible combo actus pairing?