The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

stngoldberg

On this date, January 27, 1945, the Red Army liberated Auschwitz. My grandparents, who by that time were living in the U.S., were from Budapest and Bratislava. Members of their family were killed in Auschwitz. Among those who survived was a Hungarian nephew and his future wife (who had been a subject of Mengele's twins experiments). This photo shows the railway ramp that was placed in operation in May 1944 to expedite the killing of more than 400,000 Jews from Hungary.
View attachment 138901
Thank you for posting this and reminding me of the significance of this date. The photograph welled up emotions in me that I hadn’t felt for some time.
I hope the world remembers what happened there so as to avoid anything like it in the future.
At least to me, the photograph is extremely powerful
Stanley

ropo54

On this date, January 27, 1945, the Red Army liberated Auschwitz. My grandparents, who by that time were living in the U.S., were from Budapest and Bratislava. Members of their family were killed in Auschwitz. Among those who survived was a Hungarian nephew and his future wife (who had been a subject of Mengele's twins experiments). This photo shows the railway ramp that was placed in operation in May 1944 to expedite the killing of more than 400,000 Jews from Hungary.
View attachment 138901
Thanks for posting that photo. (As you know, a branch of my family tree on my maternal great grandmother's line did not survive the holocaust. Anyone who had not made it out of Europe by 1935 was murdered in the Camps).
Rob

Shashin

View attachment 138901
This is really important. Thank you. (And here is why: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47015184)

dave.gt

DJ,

I "thanked" for this post only ... it is an important image like all the rest about the Holocaust for so many reasons. Photography shines the light on people and events and it is of utmost importance that we do not forget. Your image is powerful both because of the attributes that make it a fine image and because of the back story which adds the element of emotion when the image is viewed. What more can an image do? A fine piece of work and very timely as mentioned above.

Perhaps you have more? It would be a shame not to share them, in my opinion,

Thanks for your post and reminding us all.:thumbup:

dj may

Thank you very much to show this . The culture of memory must never ever die .
Thats so important . I can not click the like button , but would like to click the thanks button many times .
Dear Juergen,

Thank you for your comments. I am pleased that the image communicated my thoughts and feelings.

Regards,
Jesse

dj may

Thank you for posting this and reminding me of the significance of this date. The photograph welled up emotions in me that I hadn’t felt for some time.
I hope the world remembers what happened there so as to avoid anything like it in the future.
At least to me, the photograph is extremely powerful
Stanley
Dear Stanley,

Thank you for your comments. It was an emotional time for me and I wanted the image to communicate that emotion.

Regards,
Jesse

dj may

Thanks for posting that photo. (As you know, a branch of my family tree on my maternal great grandmother's line did not survive the holocaust. Anyone who had not made it out of Europe by 1935 was murdered in the Camps).
Rob
Dear Rob,

I remember you writing about your family. Thank you for your comments.

Regards,
Jesse

dj may

DJ,

I "thanked" for this post only ... it is an important image like all the rest about the Holocaust for so many reasons. Photography shines the light on people and events and it is of utmost importance that we do not forget. Your image is powerful both because of the attributes that make it a fine image and because of the back story which adds the element of emotion when the image is viewed. What more can an image do? A fine piece of work and very timely as mentioned above.

Perhaps you have more? It would be a shame not to share them, in my opinion,

Thanks for your post and reminding us all.:thumbup:
Dear Dave,

Thank you for your comments. I do have more images. If I ever get my website up and running, I will post them there.

Regards,
Jesse

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Mt Hood over fog inversion. Everything here under 1500ft was pea soup of a cloud/fog inversion but above that, it was blue sky and sunshine.

dave.gt

Graham, thanks for that beautiful image. It is just as I remember Mt. Hood in the past, decades ago. The pastel colors are gorgeous.

Just goes to remind us that there may be clouds and terrible weather in life but the sun is always aging. And it is never that far away! :thumbs:

D&A

Mt Hood over fog inversion. Everything here under 1500ft was pea soup of a cloud/fog inversion but above that, it was blue sky and sunshine./QUOTE]

Graham, beautiful image! Here back east ( in my neck of the woods), we had a fog inversion, the likes of which no one can ever recall seeing. For about an hr., hundreds quickly showed up to view and try capturing. Thick cloud like (resembled thick puffy "blindingly white" like clouds, not fog) formations covered the entire valley at lower elevation as you described while leaving the very tops of the distant Blue Ridge Mountains barely visible, and clear blue sky above. All occurred about 30 minutes after sunrise. I just happen to be passing by. The very thick continuous cloud formations undulated wildly like waves of the ocean from left to right the entire time. Additionally, it was as though the view/scene was inverted upside down. Unfortunately this rapid movement couldn't be captured with a still camera. Too bad we didn't have a Mt. Hood and certainly none of my images that I managed to take (will post a couple in the future) contains the majesty of your image :).

Dave (D&A)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Dave & Dave, Thank you you for the kind comments.

The ironic thing is that I’m kicking myself for not bringing the IQ3100 big boy out tonight. Oh well, the best camera is the one that you have with you, or so the saying goes! Either way, scene and colors were special so I’m happy with this one.

The scene below was almost like a sea of clouds with hills popping through like islands. I’ll have to post some of those images tomorrow.

Btw, the Fuji continues to be awesome and the lenses every bit as good as my Phase One lenses.

Last edited:

Craig Stocks

Zion National Park at night. IQ4-150 on a Cambo with a Canon 24 TSE lens. 2 minute exposure at ISO 1600, f/3.5. One frame for the sky with a tracking mount and one for the foreground. I didn't do very much processing of either frame. I did enhance the main stars of Orion.

I'm not sure this is completely in focus. The new live view method makes it nearly impossible to focus at night. I used the lens earlier in the day focused at infinity but it may have gotten changed due to handling.

Attachments

AlanS

First trip out with the Canon 16-35mm f4 on the Fuji 50s. It covers the full sensor from 20-35 if you pull the plastic baffle out (20-28ish if you don't) @ f8-11. It covers 16:9 from 18ish and x-pan from 16!
Teesdale...

hcubell

X1D with 90mm XCD lens. Taken from a helicopter in the Central Highlands of Iceland last September. Just a breathtaking experience.

_8048.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.