The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ3 50 - a bit underwhelmed

Massive Si

I recently upgraded from a P30+ to an IQ3 50

these days I mostly shoot landscape, but will sometimes shoot fashion/fine art portraits

I went for the CMOS due to live view when out in the field, especially as I plan on pairing with a tech cam like the Actus at some point in the future. (putting the microlens issue to the side for the moment)

I've taken the camera out a few times now. teamed up with the DF+ and Mamiya 28mm AF

All the images I shoot seem a little bit "meh" they dont pop, I feel I need to spend an hour in Capture One to really get life out of the images.

This is my first time shooting CMOS, is it a common situation find yourself in with these backs? is their power in the recovery & processing ability in post?

if it wasnt for the trouble I'd have focusing on location, I'd really be thinking about ditching it for a CCD.
Or perhaps I should really have gone for an X1D or GFX50 instead

I'm feeling I made the wrong choice in jumping for the 350 - but I know I really appreciate the live view for focusing - that I love

I am just really disappointed with the colour rendition - it all feels a bit muted

Last edited:

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Sorry to hear that - even though the Mamiya 28 is a less than stellar lens. Might get more pop out of a newer design.
But I did find I needed to add more saturation and contrast when I moved to CMOS from CCD.

beano_z

I recently upgraded from a P30+ to an IQ3 50

these days I mostly shoot landscape, but will sometimes shoot fashion/fine art portraits

I went for the CMOS due to live view when out in the field, especially as I plan on pairing with a tech cam like the Actus at some point in the future. (putting the microlens issue to the side for the moment)

I've taken the camera out a few times now. teamed up with the DF+ and Mamiya 28mm AF

All the images I shoot seem a little bit "meh" they dont pop, I feel I need to spend an hour in Capture One to really get life out of the images.

This is my first time shooting CMOS, is it a common situation find yourself in with these backs? is their power in the recovery & processing ability in post?

if it wasnt for the trouble I'd have focusing on location, I'd really be thinking about ditching it for a CCD.
Or perhaps I should really have gone for an X1D or GFX50 instead

I'm feeling I made the wrong choice in jumping for the 350 - but I know I really appreciate the live view for focusing - that I love

I am just really disappointed with the colour rendition - it all feels a bit muted
These things are quite subjective, granted, but I'd like to add that when I switched from the P45+ to the IQ3-100mp I had the same feeling. For me it felt like that all the sliders in C1 or PS didn't do that much, with the P45 I used to be very careful with all the sliders (the usual: highlight, shadow, contrast, vibrance, saturation, etc.), but with the files of the 100mp back what struck me the most was that I would often drag the sliders up halfway or even more (I even remember going fully right / left not the highlight and shadow sliders one time). I kept telling my friends in the beginning that I felt like the sliders didn't do that much to the CMOS files.

Now after a couple years I'm slowly getting used to it and when looking back comparing with my old files, I do feel that I can achieve a very similar look (aside from the CCD vs. CMOS can of worms which I'll not even bother addressing to avoid getting off topic) so my conclusion was for me personally I had to take some time (and many, many shots) to get used to the new workflow and adjustment / post processing techniques. Once this honeymoon period is over, I can get back to a 'normal' shooting and editing routine.

I must say that the CMOS tends to be more 'forgiving' for my shooting style which often comprises of high contrasts and lots badly underexposed areas. Somehow I feel the CMOS is more like a digital camera whereas I would shoot my P45 as if I was shooting film instead. Even with sloppy technique I get more keepers with CMOS now.

So I'd strongly suggest not to give up so easily, just forget about where you put the sliders and settings and edit for what looks best to you, trust your eyes and give the back more opportunities to perform. Wether or not you like it, CMOS seems to be the future and most of us, sooner or later, will have to learn to live with it. Now that you've already taken your first step, I'd encourage you to proceed.

Ben730

I think Binbin is right. I had similar experiences.
Look at the screenshot how I drag the sliders for a normal shot....
With my CCDs I never drag them so aggressive.

Concerning sharpness, my Phase One lenses are sharp. Even the 28mm is at F11 good in the corners.
The Rodenstocks are better, but with the cropped sensor the Phase lenses should be very good.
Since I use the XF with AF calibration, better mirror damping and vibration delay (if on tripod) the sharpness leaves no doubt.
Regards,
Ben

Attachments