The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Small tablet to drive IQ4-150

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Has anyone set up a small tablet PC to drive tethered C1 wireless to IQ4-150?

I have a number of Surface Pro’s & Wacom Mobile Studio Pro etc but all large 15-16in and heavy and am looking at something small enough to provide a C1 deployment that can replace Capture Pilot (RIP ... btw since not supported on IQ4) that I’ve used with my IQ3 100.

I’m thinking something small enough with enough power as a tablet to provide live view in the field. 8GB ram, 128GB SSD and 8-10in Tablet display would seem to be sufficient. Just good enough for field use, not necessarily post processing.

Anyone tried this yet? Looking at options where the laptop can create the wireless AP and C1 server to connect to the IQ4 in the field.

Thoughts?

GrahamWelland

I have the small HD 702 but the problem I had with that tethered to the IQ3 was that I could only zoom on center vs anywhere.

Hmm, but maybe the live view/focus mask might work ... a test for the weekend!

Last edited:

Paul2660

With the IQ4, you can move around the external HDMI monitor screen view at 100%, with aid of blue arrows on the LCD of the back. Only problem is that you are still tied to the LCD of the back, and HDMI only works for Live View, no playback. For me the playback issue is just as important.

Would love to see a solution that allowed for a iPhone or iPad use free of tethering like the Capture Pilot solution for older Phase backs, or HDMI playback for image review not just Live View.

Paul C

Mexecutioner

Have you looked at the Surface Go?

10" screen
4GB or 8GB RAM
1.17 lbs (532g)
Anyone using this with the IQ4? As much as I am not a big fan of Microsoft products seems like a good solution until something comes out that works on the iPad Pro. Seems fairly inexpensive and may be worth it even as a temporary solution.

drunkenspyder

Anyone using this with the IQ4? As much as I am not a big fan of Microsoft products seems like a good solution until something comes out that works on the iPad Pro. Seems fairly inexpensive and may be worth it even as a temporary solution.
I'm a Mac guy through and through, but I have a Surface 3 that's 2-3 years old, and it actually works reasonably well in this capacity. The newer Surface Go is more capable and a bargain for this purpose. I've tested the 3 only enough to know it works, albeit sluggishly, though I doubt I will carry it with me as my workflow isn't generally organized around tethering.

Mexecutioner

I'm a Mac guy through and through, but I have a Surface 3 that's 2-3 years old, and it actually works reasonably well in this capacity. The newer Surface Go is more capable and a bargain for this purpose. I've tested the 3 only enough to know it works, albeit sluggishly, though I doubt I will carry it with me as my workflow isn't generally organized around tethering.
Good to know. May have to bite the bullet on this one just like when I had to buy and Android tablet to control a motion control / time lapse system I had.

If iOS support comes along I can always find someone that likes it and finds it useful and get rid of it.

anwarp

I use a small 13inch laptop, that converts into a tablet for portable tethering with my 3100. A HP x360 with a 4k display.
It might ba a bit big for your use. i think Toshiba should bring back their Libretto range!

Good luck!

Anwar

buildbot

I use a small 13inch laptop, that converts into a tablet for portable tethering with my 3100. A HP x360 with a 4k display.
It might ba a bit big for your use. i think Toshiba should bring back their Libretto range!

Good luck!

Anwar
There’s a couple very small 5inch atom tablets from no name vendors on alibaba, but an atom might not handle a 150mp image well.

Boinger

There’s a couple very small 5inch atom tablets from no name vendors on alibaba, but an atom might not handle a 150mp image well.
I was using a wacom mobile studio 16 and I was underwhelmed with the performance.

But if you are keen

Try the mobile studio 13, if you are inclined.

GrahamWelland

I already have a Wacom Mobile Studio Pro 16 - way too big for what I’m looking for. Ditto MS Surface Pro - I need something closer as a tablet to my iPad Pro 10in.

i don’t need to post process on it, just larger screen focus and image review.

AndyPtak

I already have a Wacom Mobile Studio Pro 16 - way too big for what I’m looking for. Ditto MS Surface Pro - I need something closer as a tablet to my iPad Pro 10in.

i don’t need to post process on it, just larger screen focus and image review.
Hi Graham. I was in the same boat and ended up with this. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...03_pentium_n4200_4gb_64gb_w10_12_2.html/specs.

It's a bit larger at 12" but it works fine for me for the same purposes you describe.

BFD

In regard to using an HDMI monitor for composing/focusing on the IQ4, if you haven't done it, you might be disappointed. You would think, the HDMI output would mirror what you see on the IQ display so when you do things you're just getting a nice bigger version. But it doesn't really work that way. It's very convoluted and using it to zoom in and focus is the most bizarre system I have seen (you have to go back into the menus and move a dot around on the IQ back to change the portion of the image you want to check focus on). And, as far as I can tell, there is no playback for images you have already shot to the HDMI output.

So, if you are looking to replace the Capture Pilot iPad experience with an HDMI monitor, you may want to just play around with it on your TV at home and see if it's going to work for you in the field before buying a small monitor.

At ~$500 the Surface Go seems to be the best option from this thread. Any reasons not to go down that path? Also how do folks mount something like a Surface Go to your tripods?

BFD

At ~$500 the Surface Go seems to be the best option from this thread. Any reasons not to go down that path? Also how do folks mount something like a Surface Go to your tripods?
I usually go straight on the camera with custom mounts. It's more natural to make camera adjustments while looking in the same direction as the camera instead of down at your tripod. Kind of like an 8x10 ground glass.

20161205-_DSC1022.jpg