The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about some portraits

algrove

#29 Dusting off the Hard Drives

This was taken at Miami Beach during Art Basel Miami some years ago and I guess the structure was put up for that event. I was strolling the side walk where joggers, bikers, walkers, rollers are plentiful between the actual beach and Ocean Drive. While looking at the structure I saw this woman in the white hat coming along the sidewalk in front of the old Versace residence and waited to capture her in the middle of the structure. Only time for a single shot with a 90mm lens on a MM1.

Attachments

algrove

#29C Dusting off the Hard Drives

If I had not stopped for ice cream nearby I would have missed this event. Good excuse to keep eating ice cream I guess.

While watching an American Indian ceremony at the Palm Beach County Fairgrounds this scene struck me as interesting. The young girl was involved in a dance with many other female Indians. I just liked her concentration and the act of holding the feathers up as part of the ceremony. As one can see the ceremony drew a large crowd as the drums could be heard from hundreds of feet away. Fuji 50R with 32-64mm lens.

Attachments

algrove

#30 Dusting off the Hard Drives

While walking through Central Park in NYC with my MM1 I heard guitar music up ahead so I started walking toward the sound. I found this guy "practicing" up inside this clamshell stage structure which looked mostly unused these days. The shadows were ever present so I tried to get a feeling of a guy actually playing and found his foot movement which was beating to the rhythm best reflected what I was trying to capture. Strange occurrence to me, but most others never paid much attention to him as if they'd seen it all before as is often a New Yorker's reaction to events however strange. I guess it's the small town in me that finds some things strange when others dismiss them as normal.

Attachments

Last edited:

algrove

#30C Dusting off the Hard Drives

Again in Havana on a side street I found this guy waiting for the gate to open at a work site and he struck a macho pose in his bright red t-shirt while looking directly at me. So being a street photographer I quickly took the image before he moved. I loved his mustache which looks very pronounced on him.

Attachments

Last edited:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
#30 Dusting off the Hard Drives

While walking through Central Park in NYC with my MM1 I heard guitar music up ahead so I started walking toward the sound. I found this guy "practicing" up inside this clamshell structure. The shadows were ever present so I tried to get a feeling of a guy actually playing and found his foot movement which was beating to the rhythm best reflected what I was trying to capture. Strange occurrence to me, but most others never paid much attention to him as if they'd seen it all before as is often a New Yorker's reaction to events however strange. I guess it's the small town in me that finds some things strange when others dismiss them as normal.
You are brave. When I hear guitar playing in Central Park, I usually walk the other way. :bugeyes:

Very nice capture and processing!

Matt

(Actually, there is a good jazz trio that plays near 76th and 5th avenue, and sometimes a decent cellist in a tunnel behind the Metropolitan Museum, But for the love of God, stay away from Strawberry Fields!)

algrove

#31 Dusting off the Hard Drives

This was an accident capture since I was in Lone Pine, CA and during this stay to my surprise they had a Cowboy Films Festival going on where old movie cowboys would come to town in their 25 year old Cadillac convertibles and other characters would also come to town like this guy. The attraction was that the local movie theater would show old B&W cowboy movies 24/7 for the weekend and the entrance was free to all. In addition they would place placards out in the Alabama Hills where old cowboy movies were shot. Each placard had an image of the movie with the rock you were standing in front of depicted and also explain the movie title and who are the actors. A very nice touch if I may say so.

With this guy I was waiting for a bird to pop out of his enormous beard any moment so I took him like a mug shot and moved on, but thinking back about the encounter I should have asked him to post a few different ways. MM1

Attachments

algrove

#31C Dusting off the Hard Drives

In Havana I came across this person barely looking out the window near the Malecon. What attracted me to the shot was the "Viva Fidel" sign. Obviously Fidel failed this person's well being over the years, but that's what brain washing does to you. The average Cuban gets around $20/month to exist on. The contrast between the cheering on a dictator with a sign and the condition of the building tell a story to me, but perhaps I am reading too much into the image. Nevertheless, that's why I took it.

Attachments

algrove

#32 Dusting off the Hard Drives

On the Brooklyn Bridge I saw these three coming along and had a wide angle lens attached. I love the expressions of the men, but also I love the disgusted look the nanny is giving them from the left side. I wonder why? I do not know the significance of the beautiful hats, but they also make the image work even better. Of course the bridge wires and the NYC skyline help place you in NYC.

Attachments

algrove

#32C Dusting off the Hard Drives

I just happened to be in Havana for their annual marathon foot race. There was a big crowd so the military came out in full force to "control" the situation which was orderly. At the finish line there was a lot of military awaiting the finishers to come through the finish banner and I worked my way around the crowd to see who would let me shoot them. This guy looked friendly so he was my target, but the next soldier with the white sunglasses definitely got my attention. I still wonder if those sunglasses were government issued.

Attachments

algrove

#33 Dusting off the Hard Drives

While walking around Florence I saw these three police women up ahead so I hurried up to get closer to them. Just as they were about to walk past the guy who was walking his dog the left police lady looked down in appreciation of the dog which was something different and more human feeling about one of the three. I also liked the not so friendly look of the man on the right of the image.

Attachments

algrove

#33C Dusting off the Hard Drives

In one neighborhood of Havana there was a square where many people congregated in order to try to access the internet, but first one had to buy an access card. This lady was enjoying her internet connection. I noticed her reddish glow under the red umbrella. She looked up as if to say hello as her partner in the red hat continued reading the newspaper. The girl behind the lady was in a FaceTime like mode on her phone and earphones.

Attachments

algrove

#34 Dusting off the Hard Drives

How about some American Football !!

This gentleman had a very colorful NFL history. First, he was an assistant coach for none other than Vince Lombardi at Green Bay where if I recall he garnered 2 Super Bowl rings. Then he answered the call of Don Shula at the Miami Dolphins also as an assistant coach where they had the perfect season and he again was on the Super Bowl winning team. This ring is a very rare Perfect Season Super Bowl Championship ring with his name customized on the ring as is the case with all winning Super Bowl team ring bearers.

Art Peppler was nearly 90 years old when I took a series of shots at his son's house in my neighborhood in FL. After the session was over his daughter-in-la showed me his Super Bowl ring collection. Yes, it was a collection since in total he had 5 Super Bowl rings. Coach has since died, but this memory lives on as even today many of his children ask me for prints from that rememberable portrait session. Thanks coach for giving me time for this photo session toward the end of your life so that your memory survives until today.

Let me explain the ring itself. It is a depiction of Joe Robbie stadium where the Dolphins won the Super Bowl in believe in 1972 in the first and only to this day perfect season with 17 wins and 0 losses. There are 17 small diamonds representing each team the Dolphins beat that year with the large center diamond representing the Super Bowl win itself.

P.S.-I met coach at our clubhouse with a mutual friend of both of ours and he had a Super Bowl ring on that day. I never realized he had 5 different Super Bowl rings until our photo session. He was a bald headed man, but loved to wear a spiked baseball hat which looked like spiked blond hair was growing out of his head. He loved that hat and wore it every day on his long walks through the neighborhood every morning.

Attachments

Last edited:

algrove

#34C Dusting off the Hard Drives

One morning while strolling around the side streets of Havana I came across this group of senior citizens exercising in a vacant lot with lots of graffiti on the walls and they asked me to join in which I did for about 3 minutes. After watching their routine I asked if they would pose for a group shot with the group "coach" front and center. This is the energetic group.

Attachments

algrove

Such a shame this site will cease soon. I will continue my "Dusting off the Hard Drives" over on Photopxl.com Forum section in 2 threads--One under Landscape and Nature and the other under Street.See you there.

Thorkil

Such a shame this site will cease soon. I will continue my "Dusting off the Hard Drives" over on Photopxl.com Forum section in 2 threads--One under Landscape and Nature and the other under Street.See you there.
Please do get back, Louis, this site continue, so I hope you will do so too... !!!
They are very refreshing, your pictures, for me to look at, very, and I would be sorry to miss them here!!!
Take a look of the rescue here, to convince you to get back...:thumbup::
https://www.getdpi.com/forum/site-talk/68477-how-can-we-help-getdpi-stay-alive-3.html#post817118
best Thorkil

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
While shooting in Alberta, Canada, I came across a local bakery, which used traditional methods of baking. I asked for a portrait and used natural window light, which was more than enough to capture this very portrait.

GFX100
GF 110

©osztaba_rural_Alberta_GFX100_20190913__DSF1560.jpg