The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Swebo Tech Cam

rdeloe

That is interesting... If you search around a bit you'll see this outfit makes all kinds of bits and pieces (e.g., macro focusing rail). This tech cam seems to be a combination of some of those parts.

For those who are interested, here's a Facebook page that shows more components: https://www.facebook.com/swebochina/

I didn't see a lot of Actus in that picture you posted, but if you examine some of the other versions on the Facebook page there are decidedly Actus-like components... It also seems they made their own "SWEBO" version of the Cambo Actar; in a video I can see what looks like a Samyang 24mm f/3.5 in their own mount. I'm not a fan of that kind of copying. I'm curious to know how much of their line is their own invention versus straight ripoffs.

Abstraction

How much can you invent when it comes to tech cameras? You have your front standard, the rear standard and the bellows on a focusing rail. What else is there to invent?

What's interesting is that the contraption is completely modular and it's made of essentially L brackets focusing rails and panorama heads on a focusing rail with a bellows in between.

I was wondering if anyone has used it and their impressions. How accurate is it? Is there a longer bellows available and a longer focusing rail? Can the camera be rotated on the mount board without having to take it off and put it back on again?

rdeloe

How much can you invent when it comes to tech cameras? You have your front standard, the rear standard and the bellows on a focusing rail. What else is there to invent?

What's interesting is that the contraption is completely modular and it's made of essentially L brackets focusing rails and panorama heads on a focusing rail with a bellows in between.

I was wondering if anyone has used it and their impressions. How accurate is it? Is there a longer bellows available and a longer focusing rail? Can the camera be rotated on the mount board without having to take it off and put it back on again?
I think there's lots of room for invention. A Cambo Actus looks nothing like my Toyo VX23D. The parts that concerned me in particular can be seen on the Facebook page. It looks like they have a version where the front standard mechanism that connects to the rail is a straight copy from the Actus. This is from China, so the whole "intellectual property" thing doesn't seem to be in play.

The answer to your question about camera rotation is "yes". There's a video on the Facebook page that shows the camera rotating without being removed. That's a very nice feature.

Anyway, I'm always happy to see a new technical camera. All the Toyo VX23D cameras there will ever be exist right now. If I drop mine into a deep hole and need another one, I'll be searching from an ever-shrinking pool of cameras.

Shashin

That really looks interesting. Unlike the Actus, it can also take a Pentax 645 camera mount.

That is interesting... If you search around a bit you'll see this outfit makes all kinds of bits and pieces (e.g., macro focusing rail). This tech cam seems to be a combination of some of those parts.

For those who are interested, here's a Facebook page that shows more components: https://www.facebook.com/swebochina/

I didn't see a lot of Actus in that picture you posted, but if you examine some of the other versions on the Facebook page there are decidedly Actus-like components... It also seems they made their own "SWEBO" version of the Cambo Actar; in a video I can see what looks like a Samyang 24mm f/3.5 in their own mount. I'm not a fan of that kind of copying. I'm curious to know how much of their line is their own invention versus straight ripoffs.
Interesting, as far as view cameras go, looks different enough to me.. Basically, just a bunch of panoramic rails and clamps put together to make a view camera. Outside of the bellows, you could do the same from various other manufacturers, albeit would be a clunky affair...

Don't quite understand how "Swebo" rebranding the Samyang 24mm TS-E is any different to Cambo rebranding the Samyang 24mm TS-E?

I think there's lots of room for invention. A Cambo Actus looks nothing like my Toyo VX23D. The parts that concerned me in particular can be seen on the Facebook page. It looks like they have a version where the front standard mechanism that connects to the rail is a straight copy from the Actus. This is from China, so the whole "intellectual property" thing doesn't seem to be in play.

The answer to your question about camera rotation is "yes". There's a video on the Facebook page that shows the camera rotating without being removed. That's a very nice feature.

Anyway, I'm always happy to see a new technical camera. All the Toyo VX23D cameras there will ever be exist right now. If I drop mine into a deep hole and need another one, I'll be searching from an ever-shrinking pool of cameras.
Could you possibly point out the video where it shows the camera being rotated? I did have a look but cannot find it..

Thanks! :)

f8orbust

Since the rotational movements aren't geared you'll need two hands to operate them (one to rotate, one to lock), while all the time looking at the camera screen. Bit of a PITA. A zero detent would have been a good idea too.

Since the rotational movements aren't geared you'll need two hands to operate them (one to rotate, one to lock), while all the time looking at the camera screen. Bit of a PITA. A zero detent would have been a good idea too.
Yup, good point....

That is the price you pay I guess for a cheaper option. I am pretty used to that on my 5 x 4 camera, so not a dealbreaker..

I would be more concerned about the weight. If it is as listed on the Amazon site, then it might not be a camera to be used in the field. Looking at the various parts it is made from, it would not surprise me if it was excessively heavy..

rdeloe

My VX23D is 2.54 kg (5.6 lbs) without lens or camera adapter boards. I use a custom short rail which gets that weight down to 2.193 kg (4.84 lbs). That's already plenty heavy for me, given all the other things I have to carry.

Just as important as weight, for me, is "pack-ability". I haul my gear around in a backpack, so I need it to be pack-able. I can't tell from the pictures if that SWEBO can be folded up or disassembled easily for packing.

There are other SWEBO variants that might be lighter or easier to pack.

rdeloe

What other Swebo variants are there? I'm not aware of any.
Here are some that I've encountered:

A model with a different base for mounting the front standard base: https://www.facebook.com/swebochina/photos/pcb.2372384773059954/2372384659726632/?type=3&theater

One with a different rear standard base (may be the same base as the one on the front standard in the Facebook link): https://www.yoycart.com/Product/564206744369/

A shift only version of the one in the OP: https://www.amazon.com/SWEBO-TCxy-B...PFRPE94QE7D&psc=1&refRID=274JEQ60MPFRPE94QE7D

A very simple bellows-only model (so not a technical camera exactly, but the bits might be usable): https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Exte...WD53NM4KR3D&psc=1&refRID=WDYZQ0ZEXWD53NM4KR3D

Rob

Abstraction

Seems like the other variants are the stripped down versions of the full fledged tech cam in the original post. For less than a grand for a tech cam, this seems to be a real steal.

I was able to get in touch with the guy from Swebo and pointed out the weight of the camera on Amazon and he told me that it is closer to 2kg for that model. Translation is an issue but if that was the case, then it definitely makes it at least possible for field use.

Hard to tell from the various videos but would be nice to know if it had "zero" indents.

Abstraction

I was able to get in touch with the guy from Swebo and pointed out the weight of the camera on Amazon and he told me that it is closer to 2kg for that model. Translation is an issue but if that was the case, then it definitely makes it at least possible for field use.

Hard to tell from the various videos but would be nice to know if it had "zero" indents.
I asked him about that and he didn't understand what I was asking. I rephrased and expanded the question, but he never responded. I think it's safe to assume that there are no indents.

Shashin

From the video, I would assume not--the camera moved smoothly passed the zero mark, an indent would not make that possible. One advantage of not having the indent is that you can set the camera very close to zero. The downside is how accurate the zero marks are.