The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Stupid Hasselblad Eye Cup

David Schneider

Nuts. I couldn't get the darn two tiny screws out of the camera. Need to get those out so can put them through the eyecup to secure to camera. Feels like I need a torque wrench to get them out instead of a jeweler's screwdriver. (Wondering if original cup was ever secured with the screws or just seated on the frame or eyecup just ripped off the screws?)

There are two other screw holes in both camera and eyecup and I called Hasselblad and asked if they could send me two little itty bitty screws (which should have come with the eyecup). Sure, at $2.00 each plus postage. lol. Anyway, I think I'm just going to drive up there and have them put the darn eyecup on.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Nuts. I couldn't get the darn two tiny screws out of the camera. Need to get those out so can put them through the eyecup to secure to camera. Feels like I need a torque wrench to get them out instead of a jeweler's screwdriver. (Wondering if original cup was ever secured with the screws or just seated on the frame or eyecup just ripped off the screws?)
In my experience the screws tear through the rubber and that's the beginning of the end of "security" for the eye cup.

kuau

Workshop Member
Just got off the phone with Hasselblad. Nicole said the shorter eyecup stays on better. I'll try that one. She did say once they come off they tend to come off a lot more, even if glued. I should get it in a few days.
Order the shorter one i did for my h3d39 and never had a problem again
Steven

David Schneider

I couldn't get the two tiny screws off so I drove my new eye cup up to Hasselblad and asked them to install it for me. Guy says the screws were stripped. I don't know, but if he replaced them, he saved me $4. lol. Anyway, the small eyecup is finally out of my camera bag and on the back of my camera.

David Schneider

Damn Stupid Hasselblad Eye Cup Piece of Poop!!!!

Well the stupid Hasselblad short eye piece that Hasselblad put on for me because I couldn't do it came off. I'm not rough at all with my gear and just touching some case padding shouldn't be reason enough for the eye cup to come off.

Sorry for the rant. I guess I'll go with Crazy Glue and one of those cable ties. It amazes me you have to (as the kids say) go ghetto (older people can say Rube Goldberg) to keep a simple eye cup on a pretty expensive camera. As Sarah Palin says, "WTF" (and I don't mean Win The Future because I don't see it happening with this stupid Hasselblad eye cup.)

citizin

Going to revive another dead Hasselblad thread. This ones worth it, because the eye-cup is still a horrible janky Po(F'n)S. I've lost a few either pulling the camera out of the bag, or having a slightly graze it, or have an atom of dark matter go through it and it falls off. Not to mention if it get's out in anything cooler than tee shirt weather it becomes brittles and cracks.

I wouldn't have such an issue with it if it were more reasonable priced, somewhere around 10x mark-up of the raw product, $10. For me as a Canadian I'm looking at $100+tax+shipping per. They're not even stocked up here in the north so it's a few weeks wait for the retailer to drop-ship it.

About $20 worth of supplies, and one of the many spare plastic backs to the eye cups I now have a "better" one. Here's my proof of concept. Figure I have two or three more practice ones to make, but I'm liking and excited about the results so far. I want it to at least look better, and more comfortable than a 3d printed one.

dave.gt

The other side of experience just because.:thumbup:

The well-known eyepiece blues.

After three years of daily carry and professional use in studio, on-site and environmental shoots, mine is like new on the H5D-50c.

How long is one supposed to last? Apparently it depends. I heard that a new one is several hundred dollars. Expensive and aggravating I am sure, however, being forewarned, I have not experienced any problems or felt the need to go to extreme measures.

If it does need replacing, well, it will be a mere drop in the bucket of ownership, just ask Dante.:ROTFL: So I am not concerned but I would prefer that HB would correct the problem, however, I have no hopes they will.

Maybe someone will 3D print a good solution.

Good luck with whatever you wind up using, sorry about the problem.

Steve Hendrix

After three years of daily carry and professional use in studio, on-site and environmental shoots, mine is like new on the H5D-50c.

How long is one supposed to last? Apparently it depends. I heard that a new one is several hundred dollars. Expensive and aggravating I am sure, however, being forewarned, I have not experienced any problems or felt the need to go to extreme measures.

If it does need replacing, well, it will be a mere drop in the bucket of ownership, just ask Dante.:ROTFL: So I am not concerned but I would prefer that HB would correct the problem, however, I have no hopes they will.

Kind of funny (or not, to some) to see a 10 year old thread re-appearing out of the blue with an issue that still remains the same.

Dave, if your eyecup ever malfunctions the replacement cost I had for the last one I ordered was $79.

Steve Hendrix/CI

P. Chong

Its a bit more now. https://www.thecamerastore.com/4993-Hasselblad-H-Standard-Eyecup.aspx

Though I had mine glued on 10 years ago, I just noticed I posted a reply then. Mine eventually came off, and disappeared. A close friend of mine printed one for me, and it has stayed put so far...about 2 years.

Kind of funny (or not, to some) to see a 10 year old thread re-appearing out of the blue with an issue that still remains the same.

Dave, if your eyecup ever malfunctions the replacement cost I had for the last one I ordered was $79.

Steve Hendrix/CI

dave.gt

Steve Hendrix/CI
Thanks, Steve,

If you have one on hand, I will buy it asap for future-proof readiness. Thanks!

Or, we can order one.:thumbup:

citizin

The newest one I had was performing well until I knocked it off on location on a ferry dock. It went down into the drink too quick to notice.

I found some 3d printed solutions but it's still going to be sharp plastic, even sanded down it's not going to have the comfort.

My MarkII version is a lot cleaner, and I've tested it out on Saturday, chewing through about 5-6 hours of shooting handheld a couple hundred photos. Blocks light just as good, and I prefer the feel of the leather vs plastic, or the foam. Still rough around the edges but I now have templates and it takes me a the time of a short podcast listen to sew it up.

docholliday

Super glue doesn't hold to the rubber and zip ties don't grip well enough. So, I preemptively unscrewed my eyecup, ripped the rubber off the plastic frame, and re-sealed the two using Loctite UV + curing agent. The problem seems to be that a thin ring of the rubber is held only onto a tiny 1mm lip on the bottom of the plastic frame and then by some pressure when the plastic is screwed down against the finder.

Surface prep with Loctite 770 and use 4311 adhesive, spread onto the 1mm lip, but also up the side of the plastic frame with a scaler and tiny syringe. Cure it down and it's held flawlessly even dragging along the inside of a bag a dozen times a day. The 4311 is designed for plastic and actually grips the material properly.

citizin

Super glue doesn't hold to the rubber and zip ties don't grip well enough. So, I preemptively unscrewed my eyecup, ripped the rubber off the plastic frame, and re-sealed the two using Loctite UV + curing agent. The problem seems to be that a thin ring of the rubber is held only onto a tiny 1mm lip on the bottom of the plastic frame and then by some pressure when the plastic is screwed down against the finder.

Surface prep with Loctite 770 and use 4311 adhesive, spread onto the 1mm lip, but also up the side of the plastic frame with a scaler and tiny syringe. Cure it down and it's held flawlessly even dragging along the inside of a bag a dozen times a day. The 4311 is designed for plastic and actually grips the material properly.
I've discovered that way to keep it attached. Doesn't stop it from tearing in cold weather. . The super glued seams are uncomfortable, even more so in the cold.

docholliday

I've discovered that way to keep it attached. Doesn't stop it from tearing in cold weather. . The super glued seams are uncomfortable, even more so in the cold.
I've never had one torn in cold weather, not even down to -20F. When I have the cup off, I treat the rubber with rubber rejuvenator (usually used for printer rollers). The solution stinks, but keeps the rubber pliable and prevents hardening on rollers, which in turn translates well for preventing the cup from ripping. After letting it sit for a few days to get rid of the smell, the cup is reattached and hasn't had a problem. If it says anything, this finder has been all over the place in weather from -20F to 100+, and I'm still on the original cup.