The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Forum Software Upgrade

SimonW

Administrator
Staff member
Please use this forum to report any issues/bugs you come across.

Still to Do
  1. The Gallery will be installed and the data imported tomorrow
  2. The customised theme will be activated later in the week
There shouldn't be any major bugs but its a big upgrade so we are staggering things so we can narrow down any causes of issues that do show up

biglouis

The site looks fantastic and posting is very smooth. However, for some reason when I tried to add a photo to my post by way of a URL reference I got a message saying "something went wrong" and instead I had to insert the image. It could be me (user error) but I thought I should report it.

The post I had the problem with is here:

LouisB

spb

Staff member
Thank you so much for your kind support. This is just the beginning. As Simon mentioned, tomorrow we will be installing the gallery and later this week a brand new look. Feeling excited!
I much prefer the new colours and look and feel.

pegelli

Thanks for all the effort, so far it seems to be a very smooth transition so kudos for doing an outstanding job. I know that's not easy.

SimonW

Administrator
Staff member
The site looks fantastic and posting is very smooth. However, for some reason when I tried to add a photo to my post by way of a URL reference I got a message saying "something went wrong" and instead I had to insert the image. It could be me (user error) but I thought I should report it.

LouisB

Hmm lets see if it works for me here

Ok that worked fine. Let me look into it further

SimonW

Administrator
Staff member

LouisB
This is strange. Works fine on my admin account so I thought maybe it was a permissions issue. So I created a test account and it also worked. The test account has the same permissions as you so its not permission base.

I'm going to send you a PM with my email address, could you send me over the image in the original size so I can see if its related to the image itself

Nevermind what I just said, as its URL insert I don't need the image do I. Can you post the URL here

vieri

The link to "forum update" in the sticky notice found on all pages is actually broken - which is sort of ironic... :)

Best regards,

Vieri

scho

On the thread listing click the filter link which will bring up a few options including thread listing order
Yes, but within a thread it still lists oldest post first and filter not available to adjust sorting by most recent reply first.

SimonW

Administrator
Staff member
The link to "forum update" in the sticky notice found on all pages is actually broken - which is sort of ironic... :)

Best regards,

Vieri
That should now be fixed

Yes, but within a thread it still lists oldest post first and filter not available to adjust sorting by most recent reply first.
You can't do it by default with Xenforo. In a thread its always oldest first. There is a $20 mod that allows for admins to select which threads display newest to oldest but that means everyone has to view it like that.

It's also possible something bespoke could be coded but unless there is a massive demand I'm not sure the cost for the benefit would be worth it

biglouis

This is strange. Works fine on my admin account so I thought maybe it was a permissions issue. So I created a test account and it also worked. The test account has the same permissions as you so its not permission base.

I'm going to send you a PM with my email address, could you send me over the image in the original size so I can see if its related to the image itself

Nevermind what I just said, as its URL insert I don't need the image do I. Can you post the URL here
Simon

I must have done something wrong earlier. It worked for me fine just now. Thanks for taking a look. Great job!

LouisB

Abstraction

I don't get an alert whenever someone comments to a thread that I subscribe to.

This isn't exactly a bug, but I would like to be able to jump to new posts from the forum in which threads are listed, rather than clicking on the thread and then jumping to "unread" posts.

scho

That should now be fixed

You can't do it by default with Xenforo. In a thread its always oldest first. There is a $20 mod that allows for admins to select which threads display newest to oldest but that means everyone has to view it like that.

It's also possible something bespoke could be coded but unless there is a massive demand I'm not sure the cost for the benefit would be worth it
Thanks for the explanation simon. I will just get used to the new format.

SimonW

Administrator
Staff member
I don't get an alert whenever someone comments to a thread that I subscribe to.

This isn't exactly a bug, but I would like to be able to jump to new posts from the forum in which threads are listed, rather than clicking on the thread and then jumping to "unread" posts.
Try unwatching the threads and then rewatch them.

Knorp

That should now be fixed

The way it is now, oldest first, I find rather annoying.
I'd say just cough up the 20 bucks and do the mod, I'll tell nobody, promised ... ;)
Anyway, so far that's my only glitch ... :)

Best regards.

SimonW

Administrator
Staff member
The way it is now, oldest first, I find rather annoying.
I'd say just cough up the 20 bucks and do the mod, I'll tell nobody, promised ... ;)
Anyway, so far that's my only glitch ... :)

Best regards.
The thing is for most threads on a forum the way it is now is the most logical. If you have the newest post first you lose the flow of the discussion because they open the thread and the first thing they read is the newest reply. Readers hence lack some of the context for the discussion, are more prone to replying in a way that takes it off on a tangent and you can get the same points being raised over and over again as they aren't aware its already been discussed. Having it with the oldest first it encourages people to atleast read the first post and generally skim through the rest so the get the gist of the discussion

There are threads where it can make logical sense to have them show in reverse order, for example if you have an image thread having the newest posted image can make sense