The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

907x 50c now available

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
Beautiful product! Please let me know if you have any specific questions about the camera. We are working on a major piece about the camera and we may get some answers directly from Hasselblad.

• Thanks
Reactions: spb

spb

Staff member
My intent in buying the Nitecore charger is simply to have a backup in case the Hasselblad charger failed or was somehow lost when traveling. I always like to have a backup charger for every camera or other device that I need to rely upon upon. :)
I see what you mean as the one that comes with the camera is only a normal USB-charger to allow camera to be connected to computer or charge battery onboard camera (something I am loath to do).

spb

Staff member
Beautiful product! Please let me know if you have any specific questions about the camera. We are working on a major piece about the camera and we may get some answers directly from Hasselblad.
Oh yes beautiful product indeed.

I would definitely like to know what can and cannot be connected to the Flash Out socket and what sort of cables are required to make the connections to modern Flash Triggers like Godox amongst others.

FloatingLens

Although not really photography-related, a statement regarding GPS functionality in the 907X directly from Hasselblad would interest me. There are certainly more prominent things to write about this camera, though. Cheers (y)

Godfrey

Oh yes beautiful product indeed.

I would definitely like to know what can and cannot be connected to the Flash Out socket and what sort of cables are required to make the connections to modern Flash Triggers like Godox amongst others.
The instruction manuals for both the 907x and the CFVII 50c includes a list of what comes with the kit and how to use them...
  • Flash Input port - there's a cable to connect a flash terminal on a lens/shutter to the back so that the back can be triggered at the right time with that shutter, for use with cameras that the back cannot recognize for operational synchronization. This is a female PC connector on one end and a male mini-audio jack for the CFVII 50c on the other.
  • Flash Output port - there's another cable that connects the back to a flash unit or flash trigger transmitter for flash synchronization. This is a male mini-audio jack on the camera end and a male PC terminal on the other. I use this cable with a hot shoe adapter to trigger my RF flash triggers, which have hot shoe trigger inputs; you might need a different adaptation depending on what your flash/flash trigger requires as input.
  • ELX port - there's a cable that connects from the back to the motorized 500 cameras' port to drive these cameras' operation. It has two different sizes of mini-audio jacks to match the input/outputs between the back and the camera.
You can download the instruction manuals from the Hasselblad website.

G

• Thanks
Reactions: spb

spb

Staff member
I have a 2.5mm port on the trigger, so I will need to adapt the standard cable. The shop is already aware of this and promise me we will have a cable that works. Other than that O look forward to the 907 Chrome and the 45P which are said to be coming in maybe 1 or 2 weeks.

glaiben

Sorry for the long delay ... I just saw your reply to an earlier comment. Doh!
The camera body control icon doesn't even appear when the back is mated to the 907x properly. This more than anything says that something is not connecting properly between the 907x and the CFVII 50c body.
Have you cleaned all the pins and pads, is it working correctly now?
Thank you Godfrey. I cleaned the contacts and pins and all seems to be working fine now!

JAB

I seem to have an SD card that my PC does not recognize as being formatted (I am using a Sandisk 64GB Extreme PRO UHS-II SDXC card). This has now happened several times. I do have another card on order that should arrive Tuesday. The PC wants to format it although the card does have images that my 50c will display. I can see the images in Phocus and have been able to import those to my PC via Phocus. This is not my desired workflow. This leads me to 3 questions:

1) Has anyone had SD card issues with the card formatted in the 50c?
2) Is there a way to copy the 3FR files from the card to the PC using Phocus - not importing them which converts them to FFF?
3) What information is lost when importing with the files going from 3FR to FFF (file size goes from ~107MB to 67MB) ?

Jeff

JAB

I think I can now answer my own questions 2) and 3)...

2) No, there is really no reason to copy the 3FR files due to the answer for 3)

3) No information is really lost. The 3FR is imported and final raw processing occurs on your computer rather than in the camera then saved as FFF. When the camera is tethered, then the file format is FFF since the processing occurs in the computer to which the camera is tethered. Most cameras do the processing in the camera when saving to a card whereas Hasselblad does that final processing in the computer.

Please let me know if I don't have this correct.

I'll be testing with other cards shortly to help answer 1)

Thank you,

Jeff

Godfrey

I think I can now answer my own questions 2) and 3)...

2) No, there is really no reason to copy the 3FR files due to the answer for 3)

3) No information is really lost. The 3FR is imported and final raw processing occurs on your computer rather than in the camera then saved as FFF. When the camera is tethered, then the file format is FFF since the processing occurs in the computer to which the camera is tethered. Most cameras do the processing in the camera when saving to a card whereas Hasselblad does that final processing in the computer.

Please let me know if I don't have this correct.
I haven't had any problems with any of the SD cards I've tried in the 907x SE/CFVII 50c, and that includes with the Sandisk Extreme Pro 64G (I have several of those). I always format my cards with the SDFormatter app on macOS, however, since that really does the right job as defined by the SD Association ... I use that before using the Format command in-camera. If the card continues to have problems, try formatting it with that first. If that doesn't work, consider it as a single unit defective.

I'm still learning Phocus, but haven't noticed much of anything as different between 3FR and FFF files when it comes to what Phocus produces as rendering output. :)
I suspect the difference in the file size might simply be that the computer-based software can do a better job of lossless compression than the in-camera processing engine can, for reasons of the amount of compute power that the more efficient compression algorithm requires. For similar reasons, you often see DNG files created in-camera that become much smaller when you re-save them with the Adobe DNG Converter app: the full DNG lossless compression algorithm takes a lot more compute power to implement than is usually available in the in-camera processing hardware. This is my conjecture ... I don't know for a fact, of course. :D

G

Reactions: JAB

JAB

I haven't had any problems with any of the SD cards I've tried in the 907x SE/CFVII 50c, and that includes with the Sandisk Extreme Pro 64G (I have several of those). I always format my cards with the SDFormatter app on macOS, however, since that really does the right job as defined by the SD Association ... I use that before using the Format command in-camera. If the card continues to have problems, try formatting it with that first. If that doesn't work, consider it as a single unit defective.

I'm still learning Phocus, but haven't noticed much of anything as different between 3FR and FFF files when it comes to what Phocus produces as rendering output. :)
I suspect the difference in the file size might simply be that the computer-based software can do a better job of lossless compression than the in-camera processing engine can, for reasons of the amount of compute power that the more efficient compression algorithm requires. For similar reasons, you often see DNG files created in-camera that become much smaller when you re-save them with the Adobe DNG Converter app: the full DNG lossless compression algorithm takes a lot more compute power to implement than is usually available in the in-camera processing hardware. This is my conjecture ... I don't know for a fact, of course. :D

G
Thank you Godrey!

I'm a PC person so I'll format with that. ;) If that doesn't do it, then I'll consider it bad.

Yes, I haven't seen any issues with 3FR vs FFF. It has been a case of making sure I am getting all that I should with the files that I do have. I am very much just learning Phocus and the processing of the files from the 50c.

Jeff

Godfrey

Thank you Godrey!

I'm a PC person so I'll format with that. ;) If that doesn't do it, then I'll consider it bad.

Yes, I haven't seen any issues with 3FR vs FFF. It has been a case of making sure I am getting all that I should with the files that I do have. I am very much just learning Phocus and the processing of the files from the 50c.

Jeff
Jeff, if you go to the SD Card.org page that I linked in my first post above, you can download the SDFormatter app in Windows format from there. I strongly encourage you to do that rather than use other formatting tools ... It does the right job for sure, according to the SD Card specification. (It wasn't clear whether you'd use Windows native volume format tools from your reply, thus my response.)

I'm pretty sure the the distinction between 3FR and FFF is simply the difference between the processing power required to produce them. I cannot see any difference whatever in the finished products.

I've used Phocus Mobile 2 a bit more on iPadOS than Phocus on macOS. I get very much the same output no matter which of the two I use when I export a good exposure with no editing at all to TIFF or JPEG, directly from the raw files.

G

Reactions: JAB

JAB

Yes, I have been using the Windows native formatter. I'll switch to SDFormatter to see if that clears things up on this card.

I've been getting an itch to get an iPad but my budget for the year is pretty much blown with new head, tripod, camera, etc. :ROFLMAO:

Godfrey

I hear ya. There are a few things I'd like to acquire but the whopping smack to my discretionary funds this year are moving those things into next year... :)

Sabrejet

I just found out about the 907X. For those of you that have one, how do you like it? I also see production has ended. Thank you.

Godfrey

Sabrejet: The 907x Special Edition model run has been completed. This is/was the commemorative edition of the camera honoring the 50th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 Moon Landing. The standard model 907x has just been released and is shipping now.

I've had my 907x SE since March. It is a delightful camera.

G

onasj

I just found out about the 907X. For those of you that have one, how do you like it? I also see production has ended. Thank you.
The 907x is a lovely camera that takes excellent photos, especially where paired with the outstanding XCD lenses (several of which are remarkably compact for autofocusing medium format lenses). There is no smaller, lighter, or more beautiful and fun (in my opinion) way to shoot medium format with autofocus. The fact that you can use classic Hasselblad 500 series cameras and the relatively inexpensive and numerous manual focus Hasselblad V lenses with the CFV-II-50c back is also really fun, nostalgic, and can take excellent photos.

I think of the CFV+907 as the medium format version of shooting a Sony a7 series (small, with autofocus), and the CFV+500/501/503 as the medium format version of shooting a Leica M or R camera (manual focus but capable of great photos, and nostalgic). Of course everything in medium format is (much) slower and more expensive than 35 mm photography due to physics and economics.

tcdeveau

As Godfrey noted above, production has only ended on the special "Apollo" edition 907x. The normal chrome edition is being made and shipped now.

I had one for a couple months but sold it to focus on FF35mm for the time being. It's a great setup, although I prefer the X1D for portrait orientation shots.