The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A7C - Full Frame Compact Camera

etrigan63

Sony-A7C.jpg
Well Sony has finally figured out what was missing in their line up: a compact full-frame camera. Thoughts? Opinions?

Knorp

Well, I guess with a tiny lens attached it'll be great for travel and street photography.
For now I'll stick to my outdated a7r2 ...

pegelli

For now I'll stick to my outdated a7r2 ...
Me too ;)

Only tempting attribute for me is it seems to be compatible with the LA-EA5 so it's currently the cheapest and only 24 MP camera that you can use old screw drive lenses on without a pellicle mirror.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Looks like a very nice camera, but that viewfinder... it's considerably smaller than on a Panasonic GX9 or a Sony A6400. Must be the smallest on a digital full frame camera ever. Too bad. This looks like a very nice concept, fully articulated LCD and all.

ggibson

Me too ;)

Only tempting attribute for me is it seems to be compatible with the LA-EA5 so it's currently the cheapest and only 24 MP camera that you can use old screw drive lenses on without a pellicle mirror.
Me three. The size and new AF system is appealing over my A7rII, but that's about it.

There's also no option to turn off EFCS, which means worse bokeh at high shutter speeds (>1/1000s). You can turn on fully electronic shutter, but then potentially run into rolling shutter issues with subject movement (if sensor readout is like the A7III, 1/16s, it's not good).

I LOVE the concept and hope they will follow up with a higher-spec model next year. That might be more enticing for me.

etrigan63

I wonder if this will force Canon and Nikon's hand to produce a competitor. I know that Nikon just announced the Z5, but that is much larger due to the Z-mount.
2020-09-15_22-38.png

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I think that depends on what the reason is for some of the omissions on the Sony camera. If the reason for the small viewfinder and the lack of front command wheel and fn buttons is because they couldn't fit the electronics etc. for those items physically, it might not be something that others will follow. Another question is how good the sensor cooling is in such a small body, particularly since Sony included IBIS.

As a Panasonic GX8 user, I love the concept, and this camera is actually smaller i spite of the larger sensor. However, the 5 year old GX8 is a better specified cameras in most other respects, and that's a bit worrying, particularly since the Sony isn't a very cheap camera.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Here in Thailand, it's marketed aggressively with the slogan "FULL FRAME ONE HAND". And if you watch this video, the target group of the camera becomes pretty clear. They probably don't care much about the size of the viewfinder. Most likely, they won't use the menu much either:

TimoK

Me three. The size and new AF system is appealing over my A7rII, but that's about it.

There's also no option to turn off EFCS, which means worse bokeh at high shutter speeds (>1/1000s). You can turn on fully electronic shutter, but then potentially run into rolling shutter issues with subject movement (if sensor readout is like the A7III, 1/16s, it's not good).

I LOVE the concept and hope they will follow up with a higher-spec model next year. That might be more enticing for me.
Me four. In my landscape hobby I'm looking for megapixels.It might be ridicolous, but I think the more pixels the better. I hope some day I could accept upgrading to 7RIV. I don't care about EFCS, but AF is something to care.
Is the AF of 7c much better than 7RIV's ?

ggibson

For landscape, certainly the A7rIV is an incredible camera. In fact, with those extra pixels, you could potentially trim your lens kit down instead of trying to save weight on the A7c (since 61MP can crop to APS-C with 26MP left!).

Concerning AF, I think the biggest difference between the A7c and A7rIV is the PDAF point coverage. The A7c has a wider PDAF coverage over the sensor, covering 93% of the area. The A7rIV is more square-shaped in the middle of the sensor, so it can lose tracking when subjects move outside of that, even though they're in frame. They both have the most recent 4D/Eye-AF/Animal/AI tracking as far as I know.

etrigan63

It won't draw me away from my Z7, but if Nikon were to do a version of the Z5/6 with this form factor... I know it won't be as small because the Z-mount is so large but maybe they can take a shot at the Fuji GFX 50R.

1600711860586.png

etrigan63

I am debating getting one of these. The other contender is the Fuji X-Pro3 although I may wait for the X-Pro4.

algrove

Carlos
i've had the Fuji XT-3 and sent back the X Pro3 which did not satisfy my needs. Even though APS-C is very good these days I prefer FF and already have many E lenses. My favorite Fuji--50R.

etrigan63

I will have to find a local camera shop and see if they will let me give an A7C a fondling and a couple of test shots so I can see how it feels. I used to own an X-Pro2 and the EVF was pretty dismal.

ggibson

I've read generally great things about the camera, particularly the autofocus sounds amazing and a step above even the A7III or A7rIV but not quite at A9 level. As far as the EVF, most who described it said it wasn't as bad as they expected from the spec, but I think you'll have to try it to see if it is sufficient. Depends a lot on how you'd use the camera.

If you aim to go out with a single small AF prime, this camera seems great. You can shed some bulk and weight. I'll say it looks especially classy with a Sigma 45C mounted! But you might want a native Sony lens to get your full money's worth with the AF system :)

algrove

I was thinking of using that small Sony 35mm which I have. I own the A7R4, but the only reason I am considering this is for the 24MP sensor which size has always served me well with street work. Also have the AF Sony 55 and the Voigtlander MF APO 50

etrigan63

I am debating over the FE35F28ZA vs the Sigma 45C. I have heard (and seen) good things about the Sigma and the price is very appealing.