The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Hasselblad 907x

biglouis

Godfrey

Thanks for posting, really impressive to see the output of the back with the 500CM and planar 80/2.8. I've looked at the original on Flickr and you certainly cannot tell that it is taken with a classic rather than modern lens.

Thanks

Louis
This one is actually using the 907x's back on my 500CM for a walk around session a few weeks back.

Pipe - Santa Clara 2020
Hasselblad 500CM + CFVII 50c + Planar 80mm f/2.8 T*

enjoy!
G

Reactions: spb

Godfrey

Hello Godfrey

Thank you very much for your detailed insight into your workflow . Very sofisticated . Far too complicated for me .
The obtained results rectify your effort . I envy you . I envy you very much .

My goal in the moment is , to obtain acceptable file quality for the forum by just using given export possibilities say in LR CC or LRC or PSCC or ON1 PHOTO RAW .
I do not want to store my images on any media outside my own computer . No external source .

Therefore I would like to know what image size can the forum take . Currently it seems to under 1MB , around 850K , which of course does not show satisfaying image quality .
For example say , jpeg with long side xxx pixels . This could be seen in the old forum , but I can not find anything in the migrated version .
An attempt to the administration of this forum about this topic ended up with no answer .

Perhaps one of the users can help .
Thank you for the compliment, Jürgen! :)

For display purposes on this forum, you don't need to upload the largest, biggest size in pixel dimensions or file size that the forum server can handle to present high quality photographs. In fact, that is a little wasteful of server resources and slows down display for those who have less than fantastic network connection speeds, never mind that too large an image is resized anyway by the forum software to fit both the screen and a maximum dimension set by the forum management.

The pixel size that I upload has migrated upwards over the years as network speeds have risen, as computers have improved, and as average display size has grown. That said, I find very little practical advantage to uploading images larger than 1600 pixels on the long edge to the forum ... this size image displays very nicely at 1:1 on a 27 inch diagonal display and can be viewed at that magnification in its entirety on the same display for 1600 x 1200, and with a small amount of scaling for a 1600 x 1600. Example: Here's a 1600x1200 image captured in full screen display mode on my display.

Set that to 1:1 and it fills the screen nicely and is good to view at normal display distance from the eye.

I set the JPEG compression in LR to about 72-75. The difference between this setting and other settings in the range from 65 to 100% is measurable but not visible. Doing so with this image nets an output JPEG file around 340 Kbytes, which is fast to upload, fast to download, and easy for even a relatively slow connection.

Summing up: Set JPEG output to 1600 pixels on the long edge, set compression to 72, and tell LR to do output sharpening for computer display. That's my standard settings... :)

G

Godfrey

Thanks for posting, really impressive to see the output of the back with the 500CM and planar 80/2.8. I've looked at the original on Flickr and you certainly cannot tell that it is taken with a classic rather than modern lens.
Thanks
Louis
Indeed very impressive, sharp and excellent colour too.
Thank you both!
Yes, I find my old V system lenses bat way above what their age might imply! The critical things, as far as I can see it, are taking the time to get the focus right on the money and holding the camera still enough. The latter is one reason why I use a tripod as much as I do, it nets far more exposure flexibility than hand-holding with a big, heavy mirror flapping about in the camera, and it also gives you a way to set the focus critically without the camera moving afterwards. Hand-held work is far less consistent on both counts, in general.

G

"My sharpest lens is a sturdy tripod."

spb

Staff member
Godfrey thank you for this even more detailed information. Much appreciated.

Godfrey

I was experimenting with Phocus Mobile 2 yesterday, on my iPhone for the first time, and I noted that I could not get focus assist magnification to operate. Someone on the Hasselblad User Forum said it was working with his X1D using the older Phocus Mobile app, so I sent a note to Hasselblad Technical Support to ask if I was missing a setting.

Hasselblad Technical Support responded to me promptly, as always; unfortunately this functionality is not available in Phocus Mobile 2 at present. It is in their feature request list.

In subsequent discussion with the Hasselblad Tech Support representative, he suggested strongly that the update team for the camera/back firmware and Phocus app software listen carefully to all input when planning features and prioritize based on demand. If all the X1DII and 907x/CVFII 50c users who might want to use Phocus Mobile 2 and have the magnification focus assist function would send in a request to Hasselblad Customer Support, it would help quicken the process.

Use the Contact link on the Hasselblad website to send a message to Hasselblad Customer Support and request this feature for Phocus Mobile 2! :D

Thanks!
G

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Summing up: Set JPEG output to 1600 pixels on the long edge, set compression to 72, and tell LR to do output sharpening for computer display. That's my standard settings... :)

G
I have tried different sizes and found that JPG 72 and 1200 pixels for the long side works . Even 1250 Pixels result in a message , that the file is too large .
It used to be JPG 72 2000 pixels .

Reactions: spb

mristuccia

I use 1200px longest side + 75px white border on each side (=1350px longest side) at 72 DPI.
For the sharpening, it depends on the particular image, but usually at ISO 100 the following two settings work well on average:
  • PHOCUS: sharpening set to 110-120 and export as JPG
  • LR: sharpening set to 60 and export as JPG with output sharpening set for screen at low or standard strength.

Last edited:

SrMphoto

SrMphoto,

Which Arca Swiss L-bracket is that, I can't seem to find it in all black? So it connects via two of the threaded sockets on the bottom of the 907x or does it have an adjustable pin?

Kind regards,

Glenn
I ordered from B&H and got one full in black. I assume that B&H has the picture of an older version (silver/black), the latest version seems to be in black (link).

Here is how the plate bottom looks like (the pin is removable):

getdpi_plate.jpg

Godfrey

Now back to some "Fun with ..." photos! :)

I fitted up the Hasselblad 907x with the grip, the optical viewfinder, the XCD 21mm lens, and a neck strap, and then went for a two-three mile walk around the neighborhood with it to see how it fared as a "walk and shoot" camera.

Working ultra wide field of view always takes me some time to settle into, my brain and eyes can't swap between radically wide and other fields of view so quickly as it can with medium wide to normal to modest telephoto. I decided to concentrate on the surface textures of the streets and sidewalks, utilizing the incredible dynamic range and detail capabilities of this camera.

Surface: Soil and Root - Santa Clara 2020
Hasselblad 907x + XCD 21mm f/4
ISO 800 @ f/11 @ 1/60

Surface: Asphalt and Concrete Curb - Santa Clara 2020
ISO 100 @ f/11 @ 1/45

Surface: Asphalt, Leaf and Drainage Grate - Santa Clara 2020
ISO 400 @ f/11 @ 1/80

Surface: Asphalt, Access Cover - Santa Clara 2020
ISO 200 @ f/11 @ 1/50

Surface: Concrete, Asphalt, Sewer Grate and Warning - Santa Clara 2020
ISO 100 @ f/11 @ 1/45

Surface: Asphalt, Concrete Slab, Lawn - Santa Clara 2020
ISO 200 @ f/11 @ 1/80

My assessment: The grip and OVF add substantially to the bulk of the 907x if not so much to the overall weight, particularly with this lens (which is not small...). It proves to be remarkably handy, nonetheless, and easy to hold steadily and get good, sharp images with, whether using the LCD for best critical focus or riding the extreme DoF provided by f/11 with this very short focal length lens. The control grip's options make using manual focus with AF-D spot focus on demand easy, and as long as you take the time to get a feel for what the OVF parallax is, the workflow is fluid and comfortable.

The lens performance, the quality of the raw .3FR files, and all that are just delightful. I rendered this set with Lightroom Classic and the adjustments from the defaults in all cases were very very minimal. :D

enjoy!
G

Last edited:

spb

Staff member
Parts of everyday functional life that we just walk over and take for granted! Pretty good test I would say.

scho

This little beauty arrived yesterday. A few quick test shots using the XCD 45/4 P on the 907x. I put on a B+W 486 UV/IR cut filter (hangover from my earlier M8 days) just for protection, but a little extra IR cut doesn't hurt. The houseplant shot was with camera on a tripod and the outdoor shots were handheld.

spb

Staff member
I took my kit for a hike to a local viewing spot over Moke Lake near Queenstown. The 21mm handles this type of vista really well I feel. I was trialling my new H&Y drop in NDs and this was a ~6m exposure with the 16 stop drop in.
David that is simply STUNNING!