The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

HASSELBLAD 907x Major connection issues

hcubell

Hasselblad is not unique in regards to defects in brand new products, some of which cost many multiples of the cost of the 907x/CFV II back. I purchased a new Phase One IQ180 back that proved to be defective shortly after arrival. Phase insisted on repairing it rather than replacing it. The next time I used the back after it was returned to me, it failed again. Exact same issue. Would I ever buy another Phase One product? No, but not because of this experience. There are similar reports about Fuji GFX 100 systems. It happens. From everything I have heard and know from personal experience, Hasselblad's customer service is exemplary, particularly compared to Leica.

• Thanks
Reactions: spb

spb

Staff member
Hasselblad is not unique in regards to defects in brand new products, some of which cost many multiples of the cost of the 907x/CFV II back. I purchased a new Phase One IQ180 back that proved to be defective shortly after arrival. Phase insisted on repairing it rather than replacing it. The next time I used the back after it was returned to me, it failed again. Exact same issue. Would I ever buy another Phase One product? No, but not because of this experience. There are similar reports about Fuji GFX 100 systems. It happens. From everything I have heard and know from personal experience, Hasselblad's customer service is exemplary, particularly compared to Leica.
That is good to read thank you for your input.

Godfrey

I have had only one thing from Hasselblad require warranty service, that was my XV Adapter. They paid the shipping both ways, and dealt with it to my satisfaction.
I had some an intermittent issue with the original 907x SE firmware that I found a solution for myself (quite by accident), after quite a long session on the phone with the service rep AND a repair tech from their shop wherein we found nothing and they were suggesting return for Hasselblad to inspect and repair. After I found a solution, it never recurred and the firmware has been updated three times since, with flawless results, so I consider that simply "first out issues" and nothing indicative of pervasive problems.

Both the dealer I bought the camera from and Hasselblad USA have been excellent to deal with and given me better than 100% effort on everything so far.

G

onasj

Perhaps the most important take home lesson of this thread is the benefits of working with a dealer for expensive and specialty camera gear. My Phase One dealer went to bat for me to get my IQ4 back replaced. My Leica dealer has also replaced new cameras and lenses with defects. I love the convenience and the occasional bargains of big online retailers but there’s still something to be said about working with a great dealer.

tcdeveau

My experiences with Hasselblad service in the US have also been positive.

The X1D had an issue with the scroll wheels out of the gate, I sent mine in for repair and had it back in hand in about a week. Things take longer though if it has to go back to Sweden.

Sorry people are having issues but they’ll get it worked out. Not uncommon for manufacturers to have issues with new releases though as others have said.

I didn’t have any issues with my Apollo-edition 907x, so id suspect they got a bad batch of a part or something with the chrome.

anyone

Perhaps the most important take home lesson of this thread is the benefits of working with a dealer for expensive and specialty camera gear. My Phase One dealer went to bat for me to get my IQ4 back replaced. My Leica dealer has also replaced new cameras and lenses with defects. I love the convenience and the occasional bargains of big online retailers but there’s still something to be said about working with a great dealer.
Unfortunately this is not quite the same around the globe. So far I had only mediocre to bad experiences with dealers in Germany. Particularly for somewhat more rare items (Linhof, P1, ...), you are not treated nicely if you don't buy off-the-shelf brand new top dollars (in this case euros) items. Can only talk about P1 and Linhof so far, my Hasselblad gear is all second hand, and the OEM service seized since a while, although there are really good alternatives around. Until now, none of the dealers here convinced me that it would be worth spending any extra euro for their service.

JAB

Back to Jürgen's question...

I have mounted and unmounted the 50c from the 907x many times today as I have been switching between the 907x, 503CW, and Flexbody. About half the time I get the "No lens detected" message when mounting the 50c to the 907x. I have been able to clear it almost every time by unlocking the back and reseating it. There was one time where that did not work, I had to unlatch the lens and slightly rotate it back and forth.

Nearly every time I take the tripod plate off I will get the message. Putting the tripod plate on will also most likely end up with "No lens attached".

Twice, just moving the display panel caused the "No lens detected" message.

The manual says that all 12 of the contacts are used when the 907x and 50c are mated. The contacts on the right side of the 50c (when looking at the sensor) appear to have slight pin contact marks. The left side not as much.

I'll continue to experiment while learning more of the ins and outs of the camera.

If others have experienced issues similar to this, I hope they post what they have seen.

Godfrey

Nearly every time I take the tripod plate off I will get the message. Putting the tripod plate on will also most likely end up with "No lens attached".
When your tripod plate is fitted, does it bump into the back? I have tried several plates on the 907x: the body's very short "landing" or base around the tripod mounting screw often makes plates with a soft cushion or grip material put slight pressure on the back from compressing and allowing the plate to touch the back. I use two plates on the 907x now: One is the DAL L-bracket I found, which has no cushion/grip rubber at all. Fitted to the camera, it sits flat and tight against the camera's base and leaves a mm or so between it and the back. The other one I'm using is the standard Peak Design plate, which has a very thin rubber grip positioned into insets such that it compresses COMPLETELY once the plate is snugged such that the plate does not contact the back at all, it's sitting solidly on the camera base alone.

It's a possibility, but I believe that any plate that contacts the back could cause seating issues for the back. That's why I was so particular about finding an L-bracket that worked properly...

G

JAB

Very good point. I went with an Arca Swiss plate that does have a rubber grip. I checked clearance initially and just checked again. There is a slight clearance with the back - a business card comfortably slips in. Close, but does not make contact.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Back to Jürgen's question...

I have mounted and unmounted the 50c from the 907x many times today as I have been switching between the 907x, 503CW, and Flexbody. About half the time I get the "No lens detected" message when mounting the 50c to the 907x. I have been able to clear it almost every time by unlocking the back and reseating it. There was one time where that did not work, I had to unlatch the lens and slightly rotate it back and forth.

Twice, just moving the display panel caused the "No lens detected" message.

The manual says that all 12 of the contacts are used when the 907x and 50c are mated. The contacts on the right side of the 50c (when looking at the sensor) appear to have slight pin contact marks. The left side not as much.

I'll continue to experiment while learning more of the ins and outs of the camera.

If others have experienced issues similar to this, I hope they post what they have seen.
That sounds all very familiar to me . I experience the very same symptoms and error indications .
As for the tripod plate , I have made my own versions . I will show images later , as I have none available right now .

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Here an image of the first version . No problem to swing the back , as there is enough clearence . An image of my version two will follow .

IMG_4182.jpg

jotloob

Subscriber Member
IMG_4231.jpg
With this QR-Plate you have a 100% free swing of the CFV and the back can easily be removed .
QR-PLATE a+b.jpg

On the left is a reworked ARCASWISS QR-Plate

QR-PLATE b.jpg
This one is a SUNWAY FOTO PT39R from B&H .
Both QR-PLATES can be used bidirectional .

JAB

Thanks Jürgen, interesting to hear you have had similar messages. The images are helpful. Looks like you've made a few modifications.

I have been using an Arca Swiss universal plate with a rubber pad. As I mentioned above, I didn't believe there would be an issue since when the plate is tightened down, there is no contact on the back. I switched today to a Gitzo plate that I had received with one of my tripods. This does not have a pad similar to your plates and Godfrey's. Throughout the day, I have taken the plate on and off several times. I have also removed the back and the lens as well. I received the "No lens detected" only once. I can't say that the plate is directly related to the lens message, but deformation seems to play a part. I am not applying much torque when attaching the plate. I believe there is an intermittent connection problem that may be lessening as the contacts make repeated contact. Also, I have cleaned the contacts with alcohol per a previous discussion with Hasselblad. I plan to call Hasselblad in the morning (I'm in Los Angeles) to discuss this further. Regardless of this little issue, I think the 907x/50c is a fantastic addition to the V system as well as a stand alone system itself.

Reactions: elm

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Thanks Jürgen, interesting to hear you have had similar messages. The images are helpful. Looks like you've made a few modifications.

I have been using an Arca Swiss universal plate with a rubber pad. As I mentioned above, I didn't believe there would be an issue since when the plate is tightened down, there is no contact on the back. I switched today to a Gitzo plate that I had received with one of my tripods. This does not have a pad similar to your plates and Godfrey's. Throughout the day, I have taken the plate on and off several times. I have also removed the back and the lens as well. I received the "No lens detected" only once. I can't say that the plate is directly related to the lens message, but deformation seems to play a part. I am not applying much torque when attaching the plate. I believe there is an intermittent connection problem that may be lessening as the contacts make repeated contact. Also, I have cleaned the contacts with alcohol per a previous discussion with Hasselblad. I plan to call Hasselblad in the morning (I'm in Los Angeles) to discuss this further. Regardless of this little issue, I think the 907x/50c is a fantastic addition to the V system as well as a stand alone system itself.
Hello JAB

First of all , thanks for your observations , you describe above .
Indeed very helpful , because I find a match with what I explored with extensive investigations yesterday .
I usually use "enough" torque when working with screws .
Now , when I had my self made QR-plate mounted, I could not reproduce any of the different errors . It behaved all so stable , as it should .
Now , after removing the QR-plate , I got all the known errors and could easily produce them by softly knocking at the side of the back or just removing and reattaching the back
and doing all the other known tricks . I also did contact cleaning (again) .

So this brings me to a theory I would like to share here . This must of course not be true , but for me it sounds logical .
It is not the lens and it is not the back . The culprit is the 907x .
Look at the 907x frame from the back , the side where you attach the digital back . On the left and right side you see the contacts . Side 37/38/39 of the 907x user manual .
On the bottom you have the five contacts for the handgrip . And in the front you have the contacts from the lens . Not to forget the control wheal and the shutter release button .

All these contacts must be connected by either very thin wires or micro flat cables (including micro electronics ? ? ? ) which run in the 907x frame .
I could imagine , that there is an injured cable or component , either between the wires or contacting the frame housing . This could be very near the
bottom plate , where you tighten the QR plate . Tightening the screw with enough torque could make the gost contact to vanish , as it was the case here .

I will not send in my 907x kit as suggested by my dealer . I don't want HASSELBLAD to use my kit as a test vehicle to find the bug .
When they know , how to fix the bug , they can get my kit .
In the meantime I can shoot with the back using my 500 series cameras , and my ALPA .

I have reported the issue to my dealer and HASSELBLAD , but have no answer from HASSELBLAD yet .

Reactions: JAB

PatrickX

Looking through this thread, there are three cases of connection issues between 907X and the 50C II. Count me in as case number four.

The message "Lens not detected" started on the second of four days of ownership. Sometimes the AF does not work at all, sometimes the LCD screen is frozen or goes black for several second before waking up or not. Sometimes it helps to put the battery out and in and restart, sometimes it does not help. Sometimes it helps to reseat the 907X and the 50C II, sometimes it does not help. Once or twice I got the message "Exposure could not be finished" and I am not sure that I had done an exposure at that moment. The errors are unpredictable, sometimes it happens right after starting up, sometimes it takes the LCD screen to be moved up, sometimes it happens just so. There is a minimal play between 907X and 50C II, sometimes I can induce the issue by trying to twist both parts a little bit (as in the video). Doing this the lense clicks from time to time as if it is be started. The menu on the LCD disappears or is shown incomplete.

It does happen with several lenses and it does not seem to be related to the battery level. In my case no tripod was used.

I am waiting for a reply by my dealer and by Hasselblad service center.

glaiben

I have had similar issues and teed them up with my dealer who is forwarding to Hasselblad. I agree with others - plan to continue to use the camera until H comes up with a solution.

Reactions: JAB

JAB

Hello JAB

First of all , thanks for your observations , you describe above .
Indeed very helpful , because I find a match with what I explored with extensive investigations yesterday .
I usually use "enough" torque when working with screws .
Now , when I had my self made QR-plate mounted, I could not reproduce any of the different errors . It behaved all so stable , as it should .
Now , after removing the QR-plate , I got all the known errors and could easily produce them by softly knocking at the side of the back or just removing and reattaching the back
and doing all the other known tricks . I also did contact cleaning (again) .

So this brings me to a theory I would like to share here . This must of course not be true , but for me it sounds logical .
It is not the lens and it is not the back . The culprit is the 907x .
Look at the 907x frame from the back , the side where you attach the digital back . On the left and right side you see the contacts . Side 37/38/39 of the 907x user manual .
On the bottom you have the five contacts for the handgrip . And in the front you have the contacts from the lens . Not to forget the control wheal and the shutter release button .

All these contacts must be connected by either very thin wires or micro flat cables (including micro electronics ? ? ? ) which run in the 907x frame .
I could imagine , that there is an injured cable or component , either between the wires or contacting the frame housing . This could be very near the
bottom plate , where you tighten the QR plate . Tightening the screw with enough torque could make the gost contact to vanish , as it was the case here .

I will not send in my 907x kit as suggested by my dealer . I don't want HASSELBLAD to use my kit as a test vehicle to find the bug .
When they know , how to fix the bug , they can get my kit .
In the meantime I can shoot with the back using my 500 series cameras , and my ALPA .

I have reported the issue to my dealer and HASSELBLAD , but have no answer from HASSELBLAD yet .
Hi Jürgen!

Your summary is also very helpful. Also, your theory is quite plausible. It fits with the issues I have seen. I agree, I do believe it is an issue with the 907x.

Funny thing, I too have be very reluctant to sending my camera in. But I will have to do what is needed to get this resolved. I have concerns with the long term behavior as well as what may happen in another environment. I am currently shooting at my home in Los Angeles since I am totally house bound with my wife who has an autoimmune disease (severe COVID risk). I often shoot in the high Sierra in the cold.

I have contacted Hasselblad by phone yesterday (left message) and by email this morning. I hope I hear from them soon.

Thank you for sharing your observations. Hopefully, we can get some resolution to this.

JAB

I have had similar issues and teed them up with my dealer who is forwarding to Hasselblad. I agree with others - plan to continue to use the camera until H comes up with a solution.
I guess yours makes it case 5?

Interesting that this appears to be an issue with only the chrome version (at least that we know of).