The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Comparison between Digaron-SW 5,6/90 mm vs Apo Sironar Digital/ Sinaron Digital/ Digaron-W 5,6/90 mm

Steve Hendrix

I share this observation with one exception: the Apo Grandagon 55mm 4.5 performs IMHO quite well on the IQ1 60.
For the longer lenses, Apo Sironar S 150mm, 180mm, 210mm are all performing well too. Advantage: endless shifting.
Yes, the 55mm lenses have generally been good. And there are always exceptions.

Steve Hendrix/CI

mristuccia

Just wondering: will the advent of the BSI sensor technology resurrect all those legacy lenses, or at least the symmetrical schemas even on new lenses?
After all it seems that symmetrical schemas are the most minimalist and perfect ones, at least in terms of number of glasses needed and distortion.

Last edited:

Boinger

Just wondering: will the advent of the BSI sensor technology resurrect all those legacy lenses, or at least the symmetrical schemas even on new lenses?
After all it seems that symmetrical schemas are the most minimalist and perfect ones, at least in terms of number of glasses needed and distortion.
The schneiders are symmetrical from what I know and they work fine on my Iq4 150. So much so that I am selling my rodenstock's for them. Yes the rodenstock's have slight edge on sharpness in the center, but the distortion advantage goes to schneider which I prefer. At this point we are splitting hairs so either work great. If you don't want to do LCC's you are better off with the rodenstocks.

mristuccia

The schneiders are symmetrical from what I know and they work fine on my Iq4 150. So much so that I am selling my rodenstock's for them. Yes the rodenstock's have slight edge on sharpness in the center, but the distortion advantage goes to schneider which I prefer. At this point we are splitting hairs so either work great. If you don't want to do LCC's you are better off with the rodenstocks.
I think I'll wait till the next BSI-based CFV-100c before buying into technical lenses for my Cambo WDS.
Overall I could even spare money in the end. :)

Alkibiades

Lol - there's two on Ebay - one fro 1000 and one for 1750. I thought these were cheaper. The one with 1000 is now getting 2 views per hour. So I guess it will go soon if the seller does not know about this fantastic blog post. I guess you forever increased market value of the old Rodie 90.
What most peaple dont know: the old 90 mm can also be used for large format 4x5 inch. It will be the sharpest 90 mm wide angle 4x5 inch lens EVER MADE! The image circle is on apeture 22 huge egnough for all movements on 4x5 inch that you need.

anyone

What most peaple dont know: the old 90 mm can also be used for large format 4x5 inch. It will be the sharpest 90 mm wide angle 4x5 inch lens EVER MADE! The image circle is on apeture 22 huge egnough for all movements on 4x5 inch that you need.
I never took a picture with it on my 4x5“ but mounted it once just out of curiousity, and shift capability seemed somewhat limited compared to the Grandagon 90mm 6.8 that I usually use.

Alkibiades

I never took a picture with it on my 4x5“ but mounted it once just out of curiousity, and shift capability seemed somewhat limited compared to the Grandagon 90mm 6.8 that I usually use.
the older 4x5 has enough image sircle for 4x5 , but the 90 mm has smaller image angle than the analoge lenses grandagon 4,5 and 6,8 90 mm- also therfore it is sharper. it is better coorected, build with 8 element, as the 6,8 with only 6 - what is for film OK- and use other glass than the analoge lens- ithe 90 a.sironar digital was reall develope for digital use- and have no direct analoge brother like 35-45-55 for example.
It is really a new develop digital lens, thefore so sharp and the only non retrofocus lens that get the HR name from Rodenstock.

Alkibiades

Or Digaron-S 60mm (aka APO-Sironar Digital HD)
I dont have digaron-s 60 mm but I am sure it will be a very sharp lens. but the other have much more movements possibility and this is what you want to have with standart-little wide lens when you make architecture or stiching landscapes. for that is the 60 mm digaron not the right lens.