The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cambo Announces Phase One X Shutter Products

f8orbust

When you consider this is (in effect) just an evolution of the Rollei electronic shutter but with a top speed of 1/1000 vs 1/500, $5k seems steep (what did the Rollei retail for - $1500 or thereabouts IIRC). Yes, the Rollei needed a separate controller, but then so does this - in the shape of the IQ4.

Aviv1887

Hi Steve, I'm coming a little late to this announcement party but I wondered why the Schneider Apo Digitar 43mm XL and 35mm XL are not on the possible upgrade list? The older 47mm seems to be possible to convert. Is this an issue of not having enough space?

Steve Hendrix

Hi Steve, I'm coming a little late to this announcement party but I wondered why the Schneider Apo Digitar 43mm XL and 35mm XL are not on the possible upgrade list? The older 47mm seems to be possible to convert. Is this an issue of not having enough space?

When I noticed those lenses not on the list, I inquired into this and was told they are not on the list for "technical reasons". I had also asked about some other lenses, so did not push the "But Why?" button that is often flashing Green in my head and just assumed the short focal lengths and design were part of the issue. At any rate, they won't be part of the conversion options. I was sadder to see the 43 not listed than the 35. Must have been a close shave because the 47 is on the list.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Yeah, I’m with you there. As an owner and frequent user of the Schneider 35 and 43XL on an IQ4150, I’m also in the ”shut out of new shutters” camp. Hopefully my Copals keep going for awhile...and they should, given that I’m mostly using ES these days.

Christopher

I don’t get all this complaining... nobody forces you into the X-shutter.

Im super happy with my Arca system and Rodenstocks Aperture only mount. It works and is super stable. The change from copal to Aperture only on my 32mm was around 1000EUR which I find acceptable.

med

Im super happy with my Arca system and Rodenstocks Aperture only mount. It works and is super stable. The change from copal to Aperture only on my 32mm was around 1000EUR which I find acceptable.
Is the aperture mount more solid than the copal shutter? I would eventually like to upgrade my 32 to something solid so I don’t have to baby it and live in fear of throwing it out of alignment with a dirty look. I am jealous of the pictures I see of XT owners carrying the 32 around attached to the camera!

Paul Spinnler

Aperture only is great for land and cityscapes. As soon as you have moving subjects it js not an option - so it is use case specific. People who need a shutter can rightfully complain.

Ray Harrison

I've put in an order for a Cambo WRS-1600 and a couple of lenses (40/70) with X-shutter and T/S panels. I thought about it a lot from a value perspective (I tried Steve's patience :)) but ultimately decided not to go down the route of the XT itself. I decided that the value of the Cambo outweighed that of a straight up XT. For me, those value points included the fact that I can take advantage of the larger horizontal and vertical shift (40mm vs 24mm), I still get the ability to rotate the sensor, the camera is certainly beautiful (hey, it matters :) ) and a side benefit was the somewhat lower cost so that I can purchase other Dante-inspired items.

I lose the ability to auto-record movements but most other metadata will be there and movements are easy enough to keep a record of and enter later. And because I wanted T/S capabilities, I'd lose that capability anyway going with the XT. Note to Phase One: a feature to enter that information manually into "Capture One inside" should be doable on the back itself. Also, I obviously don't have the on-camera shutter button, but that's not particularly important to me.

We shall see how this all pans out in (hopefully) December or January when these start to ship. Fun stuff!

Reactions: med