The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One v21 preorder woes and words of caution

Mexecutioner

I agree. And when you wait 3 months, you'll probably get the upgrade for half the price.
And what annoys me much: C1 has an applescript library and many functions can be handled with scripts. But with every new version they change the name of their app, Capture One 10, Capture One 12, Capture One 20, Capture One 21. This requires changes to the scripts. No other software company that sells scriptable software is doing that.
And the unwillingness to support Hasselblad files makes me think to no longer upgrade C1 software, keep C1 20 for my Sony and Nikon images and work with Phocus and Affinity Photo.
Why would they want to support the competition? That makes no sense to me. Can I open my IQ4 files in Phocus? Would I have all the file and lens profiles needed? Should I complain to Hasselblad about their unwillingness to enable Phase One support?

Alan

Why would they want to support the competition? That makes no sense to me. Can I open my IQ4 files in Phocus? Would I have all the file and lens profiles needed? Should I complain to Hasselblad about their unwillingness to enable Phase One support?
Phocus is free, Capture One is paid.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

After my bitching yesterday, I must say the folks at C1 acted quickly and positively to restore everything - and to refund my 20% discount that did not get applied when I made the purchase. So I'm happy again, but a little surprised that a software company didn't organize things better from the start. If they had warned us that there would be a hiatus in the process, we'd all have been less stressed.

Now we wait and see what C21 will do for us. (I have to say I have been pleased with the upgrades in the recent past - I find I need Photoshop less and less.)

Mexecutioner

Phocus is free, Capture One is paid.
Yes and no, CO has a free, full featured version for DB use.

I think that if they spent the time developing the software to handle other manufacturers files, they are allowed to charge for it.

I imagine if Hassy did the same with Phocus they wouldn't send me a free copy to open my Sony files.

I figured out a workaround- downloaded trial version of C1 20, installed that (replacing existing C1 20), used the key code for C1 21, it seems to be working.

ron787

The pre-purchase of C21—and download of the latest c20 version with new KEY—had automatically deactivated my existing KEY for C20. However, after installing the latest C20 version, along with the new KEY code and activating same, everything was back to normal.

Alan

I think that if they spent the time developing the software to handle other manufacturers files, they are allowed to charge for it.
Agreed, I doubt anyone would expect the free DB version to support anything but Phase One backs. It's the paid Capture One Pro version people would like to work with Hasselblad, etc. even if it increased the price.

KlausJH

I imagine if Hassy did the same with Phocus they wouldn't send me a free copy to open my Sony files.
Well, Phocus can open Sony files and all other RAW formats that are supported by macOS. But not all functions work.
I understand that Capture One is decoupled from Phase One and has become a separate company - now located in Denmark - that lives from selling software.
Why would they exclude brands? Unless they are still under control from Phase One. And how many users buy LR instead because it supports all RAW formats including Hasselblad's?

fmueller

I understand that Capture One is decoupled from Phase One and has become a separate company - now located in Denmark - that lives from selling software.
I didn’t know that.

I won’t be doing the C1 21 upgrade until and unless they support the Hasselblad 44x33 sensors. I already manage files in Lightroom since I have it as part of my Adobe Photography bundle subscription. On a bright note, LR just added a color grading feature which looks awfully similar to the 3 wheel color controls in C1.

baudolino

I find the recent updates of C1 very useful. I can do much more in C1 non-destructively now, before sending the file to PS. Which is good because I often run into file size issues with PS or TIFF files from the IQ3100 back - it doesn't take that many layers to get there (basic retouch, frequency separation, dodge/burn, colour grading, add grain and oops, we are at 2GB, easily). Layers in C1 have been a blessing and especially the functions to fill or refine masks, make masks from colour or luminosity ranges. The latest improvements to healing and cloning finally make these function usable in C1.

Mexecutioner

I find the recent updates of C1 very useful. I can do much more in C1 non-destructively now, before sending the file to PS. Which is good because I often run into file size issues with PS or TIFF files from the IQ3100 back - it doesn't take that many layers to get there (basic retouch, frequency separation, dodge/burn, colour grading, add grain and oops, we are at 2GB, easily). Layers in C1 have been a blessing and especially the functions to fill or refine masks, make masks from colour or luminosity ranges. The latest improvements to healing and cloning finally make these function usable in C1.
I agree, cloning and healing are great on v20 and the adjustments in these layers are way faster than if I try to do the same on 16bit TIFF in PS.