The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium Format Comfort Photos in a Pandemic

dave.gt

Eight months into a horrendous pandemic amid political, social and personal chaos and upheavals and it just occurred to me that I spend a fair amount of time looking for my comfort zones.

Sometimes it is comfort food.:) Sometimes it is memories of good times, people, and the journey itself.

I find comfort in many things and I suspect we all have photos that bring smiles to our minds that bloom on our faces, right?

So, with "The End of Times" looming on the horizon (hopefully that is a bit of wry humor only), there is nothing we can do, but smile, smile, smile. 😃

Please post your comfort photos.

It is therapy for me, so I will post the first one.

People (furry):
IMG_0070.JPG

Last edited:

dave.gt

Wow... a whole day and no one has comfort photos? :) There must be way more stress around than I thought. ....ROTFL... no cat photos... no selfies on a stick...

Last edited:

Godfrey

Sorry, Dave. I'm not very big on "comfort photos" ... ;) I don't think I've ever taken any intentionally.

G

dave.gt

No worries, Godfrey.:)

The only reason I mentioned it, is because it is important to remember people, times and places I have been honored to know, experience and learn from. Memories for me are important.

Many of my landscapes have special meaning to me for personal reasons. I often go to our lake for meditation as much as I have for fishing or photographing. Each image evokes an experience that I remember.

Other images like family and friends, I don't share because I respect their privacy. But they are comforting to visit frequently because they make me smile.:)

Actually, come to think of it, I don't keep any images that don't make me smile. But only a portion of all those images over the years I would classify as comfort images. But that's just me.

dave.gt

I remember every moment of this two hour visit to our lake where I met some fishermen after sunrise. It was one of the few times of the entire year I was able to have more than 30 minutes of personal time alone.
Pre-Dawn on the Dock FINAL 8x12.jpeg
So, yes, it was and still is comfort time because it is rare for me to enjoy a short time of solitude.:)

Ed Hurst

I'll play, Dave!

Here's a shot that gives me a warm, loving feeling inside. Barrenjoey Lighthouse, north of Sydney. It sits more-or-less where the Pacific meets the Hawkesbury River and Pittwater. There's often fog here, but rarely does it co-operate. It often just charges down the river into the sea without spreading into Pittwater. Or it hides the whole scene. On this occasion, it briefly allowed a view of the lighthouse at sunrise.

_IMG6658V2Step17sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr

dave.gt

I'll play, Dave!

Here's a shot that gives me a warm, loving feeling inside. Barrenjoey Lighthouse, north of Sydney. It sits more-or-less where the Pacific meets the Hawkesbury River and Pittwater. There's often fog here, but rarely does it co-operate. It often just charges down the river into the sea without spreading into Pittwater. Or it hides the whole scene. On this occasion, it briefly allowed a view of the lighthouse at sunrise.

Wow!!! An ocean of fog among the clouds and a tiny lighthouse standing guard.

I would call that a near-out-of-body experience! Thanks, Ed!:):):)

Hausen

I'll play, Dave!

Awesome Pic Ed.

spb

Staff member
These two kicked up a fuss when we arrived but were as soft as brushes within minutes.......
Every time I see this I want to laugh and smile at the memory. There are several more such images here: Each one a character!

But they weren't done on MF........

2020-05-04_guard-dogs_B_0171.jpg
X1D II. XCD90, ISO 100, F5-6, 1/350.

Godfrey

No worries, Godfrey.:)

The only reason I mentioned it, is because it is important to remember people, times and places I have been honored to know, experience and learn from. Memories for me are important.
Many of the photos that I render and display have special people, times, places, and events in them too. I just don't use pat category notions like 'comfort photos' when I think of them. I guess I enjoy looking at all my photos and think of them with the specifics of that situation and time rather than categorize them in any special way regarding "comfort". All my satisfying photos are special to me, and I remember most everything about every single one of them... :D

I keep all my photos, with few exceptions (usually not 'equipment testing' photos as they have no meaning outside of the moment that I was testing a specific thing unless I write up the tests for posting). I enjoy meandering back through my archives of photos and 'finding' special ones all over again, showing family and friends sometimes long gone, places that I never did get a chance to return to, etc... In essence, a walk through my photos is a walk through all the events of my life... And that can be both pretty special and sometimes a bit painful, but mostly in a good way.

... Like this one, one of the last photos I made of myself and my much-loved Specialized Fatboy Comp Carbon before it was stolen on February 29, 2020:

That theft ripped my heart out for months. :(
But I've gotten over it and enjoy the memory of that bike now. :D

G

dave.gt

This gave my wife and I comfort visiting and photographing a deserted beach. My GFX 50R was new to me at the time, and it was a nice try out. 23mm lens.
I can see why it is comforting! It is for me as well, especially since we haven't seen a beach in the last six years.

Beautiful light, composition and colors!:):):)

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
During one of our photographic trips we stopped at one of those remote, rural roads. The moment I left the car, a pack of dogs surrounded our car. Of course, I made a lot of new friends that day (on the photo you see us having a conversation about cameras :ROFLMAO:. My wife captured this image, which of course was photobombed by the leader of the pack :)

©osztaba_pemberton_20151121__DSF9886.jpg