The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

jng

Dawn of a New Day
P11_07_2020_25461_C1-25x10-FrameShop_2048.jpg
WRS 1250 | IQ3100 | Zeiss 250 Superachromat | f/11 | 15 sec

Sunrise behind the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge, viewed this morning from Point San Quentin (the big house was over to my right). This is arguably not the most beautiful of the SF Bay Area's bridges, although it does have that spare industrial look about it and has been used by more than a few local photographers to frame various celestial bodies as they rise or set behind it. If you look closely at the right-hand edge of the frame just above a street light's starburst, you'll see Sather Tower (affectionately known as The Campanile) of the UC Berkeley campus, perhaps 10 miles away as the crow flies.

John

Last edited:

dave.gt

Alfa Romeo GT1300 Junior circa 1973 which is prepared for racing. The car features roll bars in the cabin which is stripped of most creature comforts.

Hasselblad H3D-39 with HC 2.8/80mm.

View attachment 178336
It s so refreshing to see a real car! I remember those old Alfas with great fondness.:)

I would love to have a basic car with a manual transmission, no electronic anything (other than ignition), roll up windows, not even air conditioning...

Oh, my, I just described my old rides, MG and Triumph cars. Even my old Ford pickup trucks!

Sadly, now manufacturers don't even make a basic car or truck as far as I know. :(

D&A

Dave, like yourself I can remember when it was possible to do your own maintenance on cars like tune-ups, engine timing, belt changes etc. Sadly much of that has changed, although the upside are that today's cars are safer and last far longer. Like different camera systems, there are always tradeoff.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

dave.gt

Agreed! These times actually make the classics more valued and more valuable.

Like my Leica M3, there is something very satisfying using a fully manual camera even with no battery. Just enough electronics for a meter and you have the Leica M6.

These days, I no longer drive or ride 100,000 miles each year. Since January, it has been <5000 miles.

Basic transportation is all I need. I can not find a current model car/truck that is not way over-kill... at least, not yet. If anyone can find one, please let me know!:) Until then I will continue driving classics... even vintage, because our two old cars are easy enough to maintain myself. And, we don't go anywhere much! LOL.

Come to think of it, how cool is it when one already has long-term reliable transportation, film cameras with a lifetime cache of film, and a handful of excellent digital cameras, all of which will last long enough for me?

Alas, my 503cxi did not survive the last financial crisis, but, I am still shooting MF. And 135. And full frame. And several other formats. All with very little cost.

But I do miss the Hasselblad V system. Talk about a" forever" system... :)

Hmmm.. that TR6 still haunts me... and the Alfa Romeo Graduate... and...

Dave you are so right. Cameras and cars are inextricably connected!:):):)

So bring on some more classic car MF images!!! Today is a new day!

Godfrey

It s so refreshing to see a real car! I remember those old Alfas with great fondness.:)
I would love to have a basic car with a manual transmission, no electronic anything (other than ignition), roll up windows, not even air conditioning...
Oh, my, I just described my old rides, MG and Triumph cars. Even my old Ford pickup trucks!
Sadly, now manufacturers don't even make a basic car or truck as far as I know. :(
And my old Alfa Romeo Spiders and SAAB 96. Even my 1985 Toyota MR2, despite its primitive electronic fuel injection, fits the model. Sigh.

Luckily, we can still build one from a kit. Or restore one. I may in fact do just that, because despite how much I enjoy my current ride, I really would like something simpler and more fun, even if nowhere near as fast and polished. I have a target car in mind... :D

G

spb

Staff member
The only British car I ever owned and a lot of fun with was a pimped Hillman Imp. Then a Lancia Fulvia 1.3S, I wish I had kept that and been able to afford my Mother's 280SL Merc from 1973 what a cool car to drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.