The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

D&A

p
Nicely done!
Olaf, your words mean a lot to me, thank you ever so much! I must be honest...for some reason my pic leaves me with an uneasy feeling that it missed its mark and didn't convey what I saw that morning and along with two other accompanied images that I'll eventually post. I too felt the same about those. I'm sure we've all been there at some point in time, where an image taken and later viewed, simply disappointed. Then again the opposite also happens I'm sure.

Dave (D&A)

dave.gt

All good things come to an end... even 2020... eventually.:) I hope!

Nature has a way of its own. While the 1984 warnings play out in real life and humans are fighting one another, I long for the relative innocence and short-lived hippie ideals of 50 years ago. Seriously. :)

Peace, love and happiness has to be better than ... well... 2020. But hope springs eternal... right? Surprises are around every bend in the road.

Nature presented another one for me last week to finish up the Rose season for this year. Not the composition or timing I would have chosen, but I had no say in the matter, so here is what I found one morning. A double. Actually two separate roses competing for the same space. And somehow they both merged and bloomed a full 5-days before falling apart and littering the ground below.

Leica S 006
Vario 30-90mm:
Double Francis Meilland by Leica S November 2020 FINAL 8x8.jpeg

Ed Hurst

Ed, I compared this most recent posting of the ferry image with a previous one and I do like the "swells" in the general (but not extreme) foreground, which result in enhancing that the boat in very rough waters and definitely provides impact to the scene. The only part which upon first and subsequent glance that is a bit jarring, is the extreme foreground where the water flattens out completely. Personally (for me), its as though that area is the shoreline or for lack of a better word at the moment, the beachhead. This gives the impression (to me at least) that the boat is near the shore, possibly in shallow water. I think maybe I would crop out some of that extreme foreground area where the water appears shallow and flattened or at least trim it down a bit. Hope it was alright to provide some unsolicited feedback.

Dave (D&A)
Hi Dave,

Sorry for the slow reply - don't get online much at the weekends, due to my little offspring!

Of course, far from minding the feedback, I take it as a gift. Speaking personally, I think this group would be even better than it is with more such feedback (which I am sure we'd deliver and receive with our characteristic good grace and openness!).

I agree fully with what you say. In fact, I agonised over that exact point while doing the compositing. In the end, I left it because the vantage point from which I shot actually is near a beach and the ferry is travelling quite close to shallow water (relatively speaking - telephoto compression has foreshortened it of course). Still, despite that argument, visually it makes one question the verisimilitude of the picture so, on balance, I think you are quite right. Thanks for offering me the perspective. Whether I had ended up agreeing or not, though, the feedback would still have been a generous gift, for which I am most grateful :)

Warmest,
Ed

P.S. I will resist the temptation to upload a third version of this image, with this change made (that would be self-indulgent) but you can imagine what it would look like, I am sure! I am either going to crop it or do some further compositing in order to replace that area with more surf that doesn't look like it's near a shoreline...

Reactions: D&A

vjbelle

Taken about 5 years ago with my Credo 50 - a back I really loved. My IQ180 stayed on a shelf once I got the Credo. A two shot portrait position cropped slightly to 4X5 format. Schneider 60XL @ f10 - Actus DB2. I've always wanted to print this shot but never got around to it. I spent about an hour in post and am fairly happy with the outcome.

Cheers.....

Victor B.

Canyon de Chile.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.