The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One Feature Update 8

plastic

Thanks very much, Chris, and the same to you. Please let us all know when you have the results.

Last edited:

Steve Hendrix

So far, preliminary tests show that the mirror action is much more efficient, and as a result, the response of the leaf shutter feels much faster. The capture rate has been positively impacted as well. With an IQ4 150, we’re seeing an average of an extra 2-3 frames per 15 second burst.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Reactions: med

Paul Spinnler

I find ETTR one of the most exciting technologies - any idea whether this feature is available in live view with the XT?

med

I also find the shutter lag when using LS to be borderline unacceptable so I only use it either on a tripod or when I need to cut down ambient light. Any speed boost in this area would be most welcome!

Steve Hendrix

I also find the shutter lag when using LS to be borderline unacceptable so I only use it either on a tripod or when I need to cut down ambient light. Any speed boost in this area would be most welcome!

It's not going to turn this into some other (smaller, lighter, faster) camera, but if you own an XF, you will be pleased with the improvement.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Paul2660

So no ETTR with non XT tech camera? Ruling out all Arca, Cambo, and Alpa? Seems strange as it can’t be X shutter dependent as it seems to be available on the XF. Go figure.

Paul C

med

It's not going to turn this into some other (smaller, lighter, faster) camera, but if you own an XF, you will be pleased with the improvement.

Steve Hendrix/CI
That would be some trick, if a firmware update could make the XF smaller! All I hope is for LS latency to be a little bit closer to FPS latency :)

LCValla

I am not so enthusiastic about ETTR function for 2 reasons:

1) how will the automatism understand if a high light is a specular one or not?

2) using a wide angle lens like the 23 or the 32 as the IQ4 can't count the LCC profile to compensate the light fall-off that will be used in C1 there is no way for the automatism to take in count the effect on the exposition of the darkened part of the image specially if a significant shift is applied.
The darkened part will be corrected in C1 and they will become significantly lighter and for this reason the will possibly burn!

I still think that my brain an my experience works much better than any automatic system specially with a camera like the XT which I always use on a tripod not to make reportage!

JeRuFo

I am not so enthusiastic about ETTR function for 2 reasons:

1) how will the automatism understand if a high light is a specular one or not?

2) using a wide angle lens like the 23 or the 32 as the IQ4 can't count the LCC profile to compensate the light fall-off that will be used in C1 there is no way for the automatism to take in count the effect on the exposition of the darkened part of the image specially if a significant shift is applied.
The darkened part will be corrected in C1 and they will become significantly lighter and for this reason the will possibly burn!

I still think that my brain an my experience works much better than any automatic system specially with a camera like the XT which I always use on a tripod not to make reportage!
How can they burn if the information is already in the capture? Won't the highlights always be recoverable? Maybe you will be able to still dial in exposure compensation on top of ETTR? If done well, this should be a fool proof way of metering for most situations. P1 are pretty good at dialing in the settings, so I'm sure they will make it so that you can either set what percentage can be overexposed, or make it so that it always has a threshold of 1 or 2% for specular highlights.
I still use my spot meter with a tech cam and do most of my metering that way, but if this works it would be quite helpful in situations with fast changing light conditions, like around sunrise and sunset if it works well.

Steve Hendrix

ETTR is only available via live view on XT.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Sorry, I had that mixed up with the Auto Expose Modes. ETTR is in the Lab panel, so it is not accessed during live view currently. Auto Exposure Modes (AV/TV/P) only work in Live View.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Steve Hendrix/CI

Paul Spinnler

What does ad hoc Wifi mean, actually? Will you say with a new MacBook Air M1 be able to remotely log into the back, download files and see live view? Or is this only for connecting with a phone? Can one also send files to a Macbook via Wifi then? What is the transmission time and how practical is this?

Thanks very much