The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Can you wirelessly trigger IQ4

Greg Haag

I apologize in advance if there’s already been a post on this but I could not find one. Is there a way to wirelessly trigger the IQ4?

thovenmedia

I apologize in advance if there’s already been a post on this but I could not find one. Is there a way to wirelessly trigger the IQ4?
I would say yes you can. If the IQ4 is mounted to an XF, you can use a profoto air remote to trigger the camera (I do this all the time when I am shooting still life). You can always use Capture One to wirelessly trigger the digital back no matter what the digital back is mounted to.

Greg Haag

I would say yes you can. If the IQ4 is mounted to an XF, you can use a profoto air remote to trigger the camera (I do this all the time when I am shooting still life). You can always use Capture One to wirelessly trigger the digital back no matter what the digital back is mounted to.
Thank you! Something such as the profoto air sounds like what I need, I am needing to trigger from up to about 50’.

thovenmedia

Thank you! Something such as the profoto air sounds like what I need, I am needing to trigger from up to about 50’.
The profoto air remote can trigger flash up to 1000ft. I think you’ll be ok with a profoto air remote until Phase One releases the new app next year.

Greg Haag

Thank you for making me aware of this! I assume three parts? Two of the profoto air remotes and a cable from the slave to the camera?

Mexecutioner

If you’re using your XF set the internal profoto to receive on channel 1 and your air transmitter to transmit on the same channel and that’s it, every time you press the test button on the Air remote your XF will trigger. I’ve used the standard Air remote and a Air remote TTL (for Sony) and they work just fine. If you don’t have any of them, the simpler (and cheaper) Air Sync will get you what you need.

I don’t know if the built in profoto of the XF has the same range as the strobes or the air remotes but 50 feet should be well within range. I can’t imagine it being 1000ft. as well, but maybe. I should test that one day. I even have an Air USB I could test with.

Greg Haag

If you’re using your XF set the internal profoto to receive on channel 1 and your air transmitter to transmit on the same channel and that’s it, every time you press the test button on the Air remote your XF will trigger. I’ve used the standard Air remote and a Air remote TTL (for Sony) and they work just fine. If you don’t have any of them, the simpler (and cheaper) Air Sync will get you what you need.

I don’t know if the built in profoto of the XF has the same range as the strobes or the air remotes but 50 feet should be well within range. I can’t imagine it being 1000ft. as well, but maybe. I should test that one day. I even have an Air USB I could test with.
Rodrigo, thank you for the explanation! I should have asked this question months ago. I have several they may all be TTL for Canon, hopefully they will work.

Last edited:

Mexecutioner

Greg,

I did some testing today. The only way I was able to trigger the XF was using a Profoto Air Remote. I tried with the Sony TTL Air Remote, the Air USB and my Sekonic 758, which has a Profoto Air module and none of them triggered the XF. All of them triggered a B1X so I know the 4 options I used work and are transmitting a signal.

If you try one of your Canon Air remotes and it works you lucked out, if not an Air Remote or Air Sync should work.

Greg Haag

Rodrigo, fortunately when I went thru my Air Remotes this morning I did have one of the non-canon TTL remotes and it worked prefectly. I tried my Air Remote TTL-C and could not get it to trigger the camera. In case it might help someone else, the unit on the left worked but unless I did something incorrectly the unit on the right did not.

15C97868-A759-4666-8C99-306DDC2A6A54.jpeg

thovenmedia

Rodrigo, fortunately when I went thru my Air Remotes this morning I did have one of the non-canon TTL remotes and it worked prefectly. I tried my Air Remote TTL-C and could not get it to trigger the camera. In case it might help someone else, the unit on the left worked but unless I did something incorrectly the unit on the right did not.

View attachment 179461
I think you might be able to get the Air Remote TTL transmitter to behave just like the Air Remote if you turn off TLL and I think it’s called XSync (canon version) on the Air Remote TTL? I mostly use Broncolor so I don’t own any Air Remote TTL transmitters. I forgot to mentioned that I sometimes use a Broncolor RFS 2 and 2.1 to trigger the XF.

Greg Haag

I think you might be able to get the Air Remote TTL transmitter to behave just like the Air Remote if you turn off TLL and I think it’s called XSync (canon version) on the Air Remote TTL? I mostly use Broncolor so I don’t own any Air Remote TTL transmitters. I forgot to mentioned that I sometimes use a Broncolor RFS 2 and 2.1 to trigger the XF.
Stevenson,
Thank you for your feedback! So far I have been unable to trigger the canon TTL unit under any combination of settings tried so far. Does not make sense to me? I took a picture of my most recent settings that put in manual not ttl mode.
Thanks again,
Greg

9F0D2CC2-F89A-485A-A044-99C683FD235B.jpeg

Greg Haag

I did a test to get some sense of what my limitations might be. The first was a series of 4 images with the longest attempted trigger being 343 feet (based on laser measurement), that image is attached below (you can see me on the other side of the lake). The other test being non line of sight, with my camera is set up at the back of my office, I tried to trigger from the front of my office (about 75 feet away) this test failed.

2020_12 untitled shoot-4.jpg

Mexecutioner

View attachment 179461
Greg, that's exactly what I saw. I tried every combination with the Sony one, disabling TTL made no difference. The setting I used look like the ones you posted above.

I am glad I kept one of the "vintage" Air Remotes as it will be my dedicated XF trigger form now on.

Last edited:

Greg Haag

Greg, that's exactly what I saw. I tried every combination with the Sony one, disabling TTL made no difference. The setting I used look like the ones you posted above.

I am glad I kept one of the "vintage" Aire R3emotes as it will be my dedicated XF trigger form now on.

Rodrigo,
Thank you for all the help! There are somethings I do that just require triggering at a distance or an assistant, since I don’t have an assistant, I am excited to have a solution!
Thanks again,
Greg

ShaunQ

Hhmmm interesting, I was very sceptical about spending a small fortune on the Profoto air remote ttl for my Canon as I only really wanted it to chimp and shoot test shots to dial in lighting before moving onto shooting final images with the XF. One thing that helped me make the purchase was the fact I could use it as a wireless remote for the XF, and yet I've never got around to testing that. Will have to check and report back, never really wanted the ttl feature anyway so might have to downgrade it to the basic air remote.

Greg Haag

Hhmmm interesting, I was very sceptical about spending a small fortune on the Profoto air remote ttl for my Canon as I only really wanted it to chimp and shoot test shots to dial in lighting before moving onto shooting final images with the XF. One thing that helped me make the purchase was the fact I could use it as a wireless remote for the XF, and yet I've never got around to testing that. Will have to check and report back, never really wanted the ttl feature anyway so might have to downgrade it to the basic air remote.

Shaun, if you find a solution I would love to hear about it!