The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Behind the scenes

Mexecutioner

Been doing experimentation with a combination of LED continuous light sources blended with gelled flash, here was tonight’s version. I am not sure where all the time spent on this leads, but my oldest daughter and I have a a lot of fun with it. I think it will possibly make me a better photographer, because it is forcing me to gain a better understanding of shaping with light.

Cambo 1600 IQ4 150 90mm

View attachment 180641View attachment 180642View attachment 180643
This looks like so much fun and you're spending time with your daughter doing something you love, so it doesn't get better than that!

spb

Staff member
This looks like so much fun and you're spending time with your daughter doing something you love, so it doesn't get better than that!
Yes what more could one want in life especially in this mad time we are living though!

spb

Staff member
Been doing experimentation with a combination of LED continuous light sources blended with gelled flash, here was tonight’s version. I am not sure where all the time spent on this leads, but my oldest daughter and I have a a lot of fun with it. I think it will possibly make me a better photographer, because it is forcing me to gain a better understanding of shaping with light.

Cambo 1600 IQ4 150 90mm

View attachment 180641View attachment 180642View attachment 180643
Greg, on the last shot did you have any of the buildings lights on as well as your flash?

I wanted to do my image of the Prius in our communal garage, but they installed auto-movement detect lights. They are flourescent strip lighting. Not too bright. Trying to think of a better location.

Greg Haag

Greg, on the last shot did you have any of the buildings lights on as well as your flash?

I wanted to do my image of the Prius in our communal garage, but they installed auto-movement detect lights. They are flourescent strip lighting. Not too bright. Trying to think of a better location.
Stephen, if you are lighting with your flash, it should be no problem to overpower low ambient light. If you are lighting with continuous LED it will be more challenging. The blue light in this image is a series of about 10 gelled flash images combined with about 20 LED continuous light images. You should be able to light paint an image entirely with a series of flash images blended together In a low light environment.

spb

Staff member
Greg, this is my very first attempt with one Godox AD200 and the XCD30mm. 7 images, ISO 100, F16, 16 seconds. I could have moved forward another foot or so. I like the side view of these 4th Generation Prius's. I still have to nail manual focus better. What other comments would you give. I noticed the mirror casing has received too much light. I am quite happy.13.01.21_prius-4th-gen_FINAL.jpeg

Greg Haag

Greg, this is my very first attempt with one Godox AD200 and the XCD30mm. 7 images, ISO 100, F16, 16 seconds. I could have moved forward another foot or so. I like the side view of these 4th Generation Prius's. I still have to nail manual focus better. What other comments would you give. I noticed the mirror casing has received too much light. I am quite happy.View attachment 180716
Steven, that's awesome to see you diving right in!! A suggestion on something to try, since you are shooting with flash next time you might tweak your settings and compare the versions. In this instance by dragging the shutter it is allowing the ambient light to influence the overall look of your captures. I would try at a setting with a much shorter shutter speed, maybe 1/60th or 1/125th, on this you will just have to experiment and see what gives you the desired result. I will try to find a similar setting with ambient light and shoot only with flash with some behind the scenes shots to better explain what I am try to say.

spb

Staff member
Ok Greg thanks for the ideas. If I change the setting to 1/60 or 1/125 that limits me to a single shot and a single flash or however many flash guns are in use. Standard flash shot. I have not tried that at all, only 16 seconds. I will try your suggestion next and take 7 images as I did today and see what happens.

Greg Haag

Ok Greg thanks for the ideas. If I change the setting to 1/60 or 1/125 that limits me to a single shot and a single flash or however many flash guns are in use. Standard flash shot. I have not tried that at all, only 16 seconds. I will try your suggestion next and take 7 images as I did today and see what happens.
Stephen, I forgot that you have no software to layer and blend images! I will give some more thought to potential options.

Greg Haag

I am using Focus Stacker which allows me to amalgamate images into one
I am not familiar with Focus Stacker, but I assume it will not allow you to use layer masks or change blend modes? If you want to email or dropbox me the images in that shoot I could try to give you an example of what I am talking about.

Greg Haag

My daughter and I shot this truck for a friend, it was huge, really it was too big and bright for my space. Had an almost impossible time controlling light. We are going to make a second attempt sometime soon but outdoors. Here are a few BTS shots, I persuaded my daughter to let me include her in the BTS shots.

XF IQ4 150 55mm

IMG_3256.jpg

IMG_3257.jpg

IMG_3259.jpg

Joshs Truck.jpg

Mexecutioner

Nice, a friend from work has one just like that, but in black. It also has a higher lift, doesn't even fit in the parking structure and has to park it by the sipping and receiving dock.

spb

Staff member
I am not familiar with Focus Stacker, but I assume it will not allow you to use layer masks or change blend modes? If you want to email or dropbox me the images in that shoot I could try to give you an example of what I am talking about.
I wanted to buy Helicon for OSX but I had a problem with their website and gave up.

Greg Haag

So last night was my daughter and I's first attempt at photographing/lightpainting a vehicle outside, we made mistakes but learned some important things. The biggest issue, was we were trying to shooting this without being tethered to a laptop. It was almost impossible, at least for me, to tell what we were getting. I did not consider this a success, but at least it was not a complete failure.

Cambo 1600 IQ4 150 32mm Rodenstock

Waiting for sunset
IMG_3266.jpgIMG_3267.jpgGwagon Reserve v3.jpg

P. Chong

Wow, really nice! Thanks for sharing Greg.

So last night was my daughter and I's first attempt at photographing/lightpainting a vehicle outside, we made mistakes but learned some important things. The biggest issue, was we were trying to shooting this without being tethered to a laptop. It was almost impossible, at least for me, to tell what we were getting. I did not consider this a success, but at least it was not a complete failure.

Cambo 1600 IQ4 150 32mm Rodenstock

Waiting for sunset