The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A1 powerhouse

dseelig

I Shoot pro sports and music the advantages of using this camera with a 200-600 going into crop mode and still have 20 mp when downfield from the action and yes I have a 400 2.8 and with a 1.4 ext was my go to lens but the 200-600 changed that when I am not in a dome. For music think of this you can get the drummer in cropmode with a 70-200 or 70-180 that tamron is nice. glad a tleast they kept the grip from the A9 mk11 . The 400 sync is also a welcome addition. Now if they could only have smaller less megapixel raw files i would sell all of my a9 mk 11 but alas they ave not done that yet. a9 mk 11 with wide and mid zooms and the A1 with the tele.

iiiNelson

I must admit that 4K/120 would be fantastic. I do suppose that others will offer that within 2021 too. Waiting for the GH6...
Maybe so. I can’t say for sure. I’m invested in Sony and Panasonic (L & G-Mount) so I’ll probably hold off on any major purchases anytime in the immediate future. I have money tied up in the new house with a new baby on the way this summer but the wife does want a camera now. I’m split between the S5, A7SIII, and the XT4 actually for now. I think they all have benefits with the Lumix and Sony being able to provide an assortment of lenses she could just grab off the shelf when she wanted to. I think she’d like the film simulations of the Fuji though especially if she doesn’t wanna sit behind a computer to do lots of edits.

Satrycon

Sitting at the heart of GFX 100S is a newly developed shutter and In-Body Image Stabilization (IBIS) system that helps ensure you always make the most of the extreme resolution of the camera’s 102MP imaging sensor. While reduced in size, compared to their counterparts in GFX 100, both elements offer incredible performance, with the new shutter capable of 5fps continuous shooting and the unique, five-axis IBIS now working in conjunction with GF Lens Optical Image Stabilization (OIS) to provide up to 6 stops of correction.

I do not see much improvement in technology with GFX100S.

SrMphoto

Sitting at the heart of GFX 100S is a newly developed shutter and In-Body Image Stabilization (IBIS) system that helps ensure you always make the most of the extreme resolution of the camera’s 102MP imaging sensor. While reduced in size, compared to their counterparts in GFX 100, both elements offer incredible performance, with the new shutter capable of 5fps continuous shooting and the unique, five-axis IBIS now working in conjunction with GF Lens Optical Image Stabilization (OIS) to provide up to 6 stops of correction.
Yes, there is progression and regression (EVF) with the GFX100S. As an owner of GFX100, I am not sure that I will 'upgrade' to GFX100S. The size is the "only" advantage to me, not the new shutter and IBIS system. As an owner of A9/A7rIII, it is very likely that I will upgrade to A1.

Satrycon

so its basically an upgrade for gfx50 users, and a backup for gfx100 users
Yes, there is progression and regression (EVF) with the GFX100S. As an owner of GFX100, I am not sure that I will 'upgrade' to GFX100S. The size is the "only" advantage to me, not the new shutter and IBIS system. As an owner of A9/A7rIII, it is very likely that I will upgrade to A1.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
so its basically an upgrade for gfx50 users, and a backup for gfx100 users
... or an upgrade for anybody considering going from DSLR or smaller formats to any full frame mirrorless. Buying a "cheap" used GFX50R and start building a lens collection starts to make sense.

I'm noticing also that it uses the same batteries as the X-T4. That would make the latter a great backup camera with a couple of lenses that can also be used for some video tasks (slow motion, B-roll etc.).

doug

Reliable bird eye AF + 50MP + low-distortion silent shutter = flat wallet

There's a lot of overkill: 30 frames/sec and all the movie stuff is more than I need but it probably won't get in the way.

This camera would be very handy, but at this point spending more time in the wild will be more productive. I don't feel like I've hit the productivity limits of the a7rIII.

OTOH a second body would be nice to have ;)

iiiNelson

Reliable bird eye AF + 50MP + low-distortion silent shutter = flat wallet

There's a lot of overkill: 30 frames/sec and all the movie stuff is more than I need but it probably won't get in the way.

This camera would be very handy, but at this point spending more time in the wild will be more productive. I don't feel like I've hit the productivity limits of the a7rIII.

OTOH a second body would be nice to have ;)
You could also do some sweet slow motion 4K video in the middle of your shots... and still get 21 megapixels or so while shooting in crop mode. So there’s that.

k-hawinkler

Comparing apples to oranges - what would you rather have: a $6500 Sony A1 or a $6000 Fuji 100s ... :unsure:

Easy answer: Both, no? :cool:

Question: Does the Fujifilm EVF-TL1 EVF Tilt Adapter for GFX 50S & GFX100 Camera fit the 100S?
I just chatted with Adorama. According to them, it fits, same as with 100. 👍

Food for thought:

Clearly 2 different animals, I mean cameras.
My problem is, I like very much already the IQ my Fuji GFX 50S is capable of producing. 👍

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

I believe for those that can take advantage of the features, this really is “the one.”

On the video side of things, he 8K will get headlines but FF 4K120 coming from oversampled 5.8k is what piqued my interest... also the 8K is oversampled from 8.6k footage. Full size HDMI too. So essentially you’re getting a better video camera than the A7SIII and it even has the same color profiles as the FX6/9.

on the photography side, you’re getting a faster readout than the A9II, faster flash sync speeds, the ability to sync your flash with the electronic shutter, 30fps shooting, more resolution than anyone will complain about on having “enough”, nearly as much resolution as the A7RIV, improved real time AF algorithms, increased DR in a stacked sensor design, etc.

This camera was clearly built for the upcoming Olympics and the professionals in credentialed media. “Normal pros” like wedding photographers, wildlife/adventure photographers, portrait photographers, etc. will probably benefit from it as a side note. Will I purchase one? I’m honestly am undecided but I can easily dump everything else Sony I own for this camera and not look back. There really aren’t any glaring compromises here other than size for me.
Hi Tre, thanks, what’s not to like? Any fly in the ointment? :coffee:

Knorp

Easy answer: Both, no? :cool:

Question: Does the Fujifilm EVF-TL1 EVF Tilt Adapter for GFX 50S & GFX100 Camera fit the 100S?
I just chatted with Adorama. According to them, it fits, same as with 100. 👍

Food for thought:

Clearly 2 different animals, I mean cameras.
My problem is, I like very much already the IQ my Fuji GFX 50S is capable of producing. 👍
Hi there K-H,
I understand the 100S has a fixed EVF.
One downgrade (potentially) compared to the GFX 100 is in the 100S's electronic viewfinder. The most obvious difference is that it's fixed, rather than being removable. We suspect that won't bother the majority of photographers, for whom the resolution drop from 5.67M-dots to 3.69M-dots will likely be more impactful.
Kind regards.

k-hawinkler

Hi there K-H,
I understand the 100S has a fixed EVF.

Kind regards.
Thanks Bart. So much for trusting somebody else.
That is a deal breaker for me.
You just saved me a lot of money.
I thimk I’ll stick with the 50S.
Its 50MP should go nicely with the 50MP of the A1. :cool:

Knorp

Thanks Bart. So much for trusting somebody else.
That is a deal breaker for me.
You just saved me a lot of money.
I thimk I’ll stick with the 50S.
Its 50MP should go nicely with the 50MP of the A1. :cool:
Didn't give that tilt adapter much use, so I won't miss it.

Pradeep

I have been waiting for something like this for a long while now. An a7rIV with specs that equal or beat the a9 series. I bought the rIV for the resolution but was disappointed with the high ISO performance as most of my wildlife photos are taken in low light. Plus of course the huge issue with the 200-600 lens.

This one checks all the boxes for me except the price. That is a bummer as I am close to retirement. But if I can sell my rIV bodies (have two of them) it would work very well towards buying this beast. In the end though if you think about it, the price is not much different from what I paid for my Canon 1DX series when they came out.

k-hawinkler

I have been waiting for something like this for a long while now. An a7rIV with specs that equal or beat the a9 series. I bought the rIV for the resolution but was disappointed with the high ISO performance as most of my wildlife photos are taken in low light. Plus of course the huge issue with the 200-600 lens.

This one checks all the boxes for me except the price. That is a bummer as I am close to retirement. But if I can sell my rIV bodies (have two of them) it would work very well towards buying this beast. In the end though if you think about it, the price is not much different from what I paid for my Canon 1DX series when they came out.
Thanks Pradeep.

Well, for sure it’s a lot of money Sony wants for their A1.
Considering, in its day the Nikon D3 and Leica M9 cost more IIRC.
Also compared to the price of the FE 400/28 or FE 600/4 the A1 appears to be a real bargain.
Certainly when considering the A1’s technological superiority over their Alpha camera siblings.

Anyway I wouldn’t be surprised if initially demand for the A1 will outstrip its supply.
AFAIK Sony has already stated to prefer their professional customers over
mere hobby photographers like me when it comes to shipping them their A1 cameras.
Maybe it will work out to get an A1 when the lovely Hummingbirds return to their northern areas in the Spring. :cool:

Pradeep

Thanks K-H.

Time is not a problem fortunately. Not going anywhere for a while, but feel tempted to go down to shoot the eagles around the dam in Maryland. They usually start April I am told. Probably will go down there mid-April. Would be exciting to see how good the bird-eye AF is.

k-hawinkler

$1 MILLION CAMERA GEAR AT CONOWINGO DAM | Nov. 2020 Visit

Now a 2017 report from a comedian. :)
MILLIONS OF DOLLARS IN CAMERA GEAR IN ONE PLACE | Photographing Bald EAGLES

I am sure there will also be A1ssss! :cool:

Last edited: