The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

fat pixel digital backs

dave.gt

It's been awhile since I checked in on this thread. I pulled my 503CW with the CFV-16II out of storage this afternoon. The last time I used it was in 2013, so I was worried that I might find fungus too. So far, it looks ok. Here is a quick test shot I took of the birch tree in our front yard this afternoon.

There are photos posted here that are clearly not taken with Fat Pixel (8-9 micron) digital backs. Oh well.

Gary

503CW, CFV-16II and the wonderful 40mm CFE IF lens.
View attachment 181710
Wow, it looks perfect to me! The snow in the branches must be dazzling in the sun when looking at it in person.

Love that image.:)

MartinN

There are photos posted here that are clearly not taken with Fat Pixel (8-9 micron) digital backs. Oh well.

Gary
Well, is it better to let this thread fade due to inuse of those really old backs ?
As the pixel size is diminishing on new backs there could be a slight reconsideration on what is strictly fat pixels ?
Or not.

bensonga

Well, is it better to let this thread fade due to inuse of those really old backs ?
As the pixel size is diminishing on new backs there could be a slight reconsideration on what is strictly fat pixels ?
Or not.
An older digital back doesn’t develop fat pixels and create that unique fat pixel look just because newer models have even thinner/smaller pixels.

Perhaps start a thread for images from CCD sensor backs of all types. That would showcase images from a sensor technology that has a unique look in it’s own right.

Last edited:

bensonga

From March 2013 posts:

Can anyone put together a complete list of the 9 micron pixel backs?

Gary
Can't speak to all brands/makes models but for Phase One and Leaf:
H20
H25
P20
P20+
P21
P21+
P25
P25+
Valeo 11
Valeo 17
Valeo 22
Valeo 17wi
Valeo 22wi
Aptus 54s
Aptus 17wi
Aptus 22wi
Aptus II 5
AFI 5

From broad experience but no specific statistics I think the most common to find today would be: H25, P25, P25+, Valeo 22wi, Aptus 22, Aptus II 5.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Gary
Do you still have your CFV16 ? I regret very much , that I traded mine in . Today I would like to have it back .

bensonga

Hi Jurgen. Yes I do! I will never part with it. There is a recent photo that I took with the CFV-16II at the bottom of the previous page on this thread. I hope to get out and use all four of my “fat pixel” backs more often this year.

Abstraction

What was so special about fat pixel backs? Did they handle sharpening better or did they have better low light performance?

bensonga

Most photographers will see no reason to own or use a fat pixel digital back and that’s just fine. I’ve read several reviews debunking the idea that there is anything special about the images produced by fat pixel sensors. I don’t think we need to agree on whether there is or is not a unique look. It’s all quite subjective. This is simply a place to share images from cameras with a sensor design that is no longer produced, for as long as we can keep these cameras working.

Gary