The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax 80 vs the rest?

aksclix

Any experiences with the contax 80 f/2 on Leica S, Hasselblad x1d or Fuji GFX systems? How does it compare to the native lens options on each system at similar focal lengths? (Eg- XCD 80f1.9, gf80f1.7, s 70mm, HC 80mm) Which one has the most pleasing background blur and overall IQ?

drevil

Staff member
i will still need a few months before i will get the fuji 80, but wide open surely the contax will have nothing to beat the newer lenses, IQ wise, from the bokeh i expect the contax to be special.

stopped down the lens is still top notch, i used it once with the iq180 in studio and was simlpy blown away by the image quality at F8, i expect nothing less on the GFX system

FloatingLens

Unfortunately, there are currently no C645 to XCD adapters made, none that I know of, but I would buy one. That being said, there is as far as I am concerned no real competition between a classic 6 element Planar construction against a 14 element behemoth. For me the Planar on 6x4,5 is impossible to beat. (highly subjective :))

Last edited:

JoelM

Another to consider is the Mamiya N 80mm f1.9. Excellent wide open and stopped down. I use the 150A on my S2.
Joel

aksclix

i will still need a few months before i will get the fuji 80, but wide open surely the contax will have nothing to beat the newer lenses, IQ wise, from the bokeh i expect the contax to be special.

stopped down the lens is still top notch, i used it once with the iq180 in studio and was simlpy blown away by the image quality at F8, i expect nothing less on the GFX system
My gf 80 is coming tomorrow.. not sure if the contax setup with s-adapter c is worth coming at nearly $4K used..
Another to consider is the Mamiya N 80mm f1.9. Excellent wide open and stopped down. I use the 150A on my S2.
Joel
I see.. didn’t know about that lens.. looks pretty sweet.. so far been only considering the ones with AF but will keep this in mind
Unfortunately, there are currently no C645 to XCD adapters made, none that I know of, but I would buy one. That being said, there is as far as I am concerned no real competition between a classic 6 element Planar construction against a 14 element behemoth. For me the Planar on 6x4,5 is impossible to beat. (highly subjective :))
yes, I can see from your profile pic that you’re a fan 😀 just trying to see if such a huge price tag is worth it for a brand that’s outdated with no support if something were to happen

drevil

Staff member
well if your 80 is coming tomorrow, i guess you dont really need to look into additionally buying the contax, you will be a happy camper for sure

aksclix

well if your 80 is coming tomorrow, i guess you dont really need to look into additionally buying the contax, you will be a happy camper for sure
Yea.. I was looking to use this on a Leica S body.. if the 80 on Leica seems better than the native 80 on GFX I thought I might keep it.. but you’re right.. it’s a tad too expensive

aksclix

Joel
Is there a difference in optical quality between the N and C versions of this 80mm f1.9 lens from mamiya?

FloatingLens

My gf 80 is coming tomorrow.. not sure if the contax setup with s-adapter c is worth coming at nearly $4K used..

I see.. didn’t know about that lens.. looks pretty sweet.. so far been only considering the ones with AF but will keep this in mind

yes, I can see from your profile pic that you’re a fan 😀 just trying to see if such a huge price tag is worth it for a brand that’s outdated with no support if something were to happen
How does the 1.7/80 fare against your expectations?

aksclix

How does the 1.7/80 fare against your expectations?
It has lived up to my expectations so far!! Haven’t been able to photograph a lot of people with it so far due to the lock down and wide unwilling to be a subject 😀 it did miss focusing the face accurately but with face detection on it does a better job.. the AF noise is noticeably loud but doesn’t bother me.. IQ is pretty great and the bokeh is only slightly more dreamier than the 110..