The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Be Careful with Your Digital Backs!!

darr

I have been using digital backs for at least 10 years now. Always careful with them, whether shooting in the studio or out in the environment. But yesterday while I was on the darn phone and breaking down a camera setup in the studio (complacency) it happened so EASILY!! As I was holding the CFV-50c in my left hand and over its case (just in case it fell 🤣), I placed its rear cover on and when I went to slide its button to secure the cover, the cover slipped and it cracked the IR glass. 😭 It was that easy!! All because I was on the phone and not paying close enough attention. 🤬

B&H Photo is shipping a new CFV-50c II to me today (they are currently available) and Hasselblad Tech Support has been contacted and sent instructions on the process for a repair. The CFV-50c which has been an absolute wonderful tool for my needs will be repaired in Sweden.

I will update the progress of the repair in this thread.

Kind regards,
Darr

IMG_2016 copy.jpg

Last edited:

vieri

Very sorry to hear that, Darr :( hope you'll have your back back real quick! (sorry about the pun)

Best regards,

Vieri

epforever

I have a tank of compressed nitrogen here that I use for cleaning negs before drum scanning. Years ago, one time I used that tank to blow dust off the IR filter on my back. Whatever miniscule particles were inside the nozzle blew into the IR filter with such force that they created small "pits," as Hasselblad called them. The IR filter had to be replaced in Sweden. Such a delicate little piece.

darr

I have a tank of compressed nitrogen here that I use for cleaning negs before drum scanning. Years ago, one time I used that tank to blow dust off the IR filter on my back. Whatever miniscule particles were inside the nozzle blew into the IR filter with such force that they created small "pits," as Hasselblad called them. The IR filter had to be replaced in Sweden. Such a delicate little piece.
Wow that is unfortunate!
It must have been a prong on the back of the cover that caused my mishap, and yes, the glass is VERY delicate!

Shashin

Thanks Will, I needed that!! :LOL:
I am sure the humor would not have been appreciated when it happened (I am glad I was not on the phone with you when you dropped it!). But it does beat crying--probably my response. ;)

spb

Staff member
Oh my Darr that is very, very unfortunate and yet it happens so easily and quickly. I nearly had a few mishaps with the handling of my 907X 50C which did improve a little with the grip. I have since switched back to Fujifilm GFX100S. I hope that Hasselblad get your back fixed and back to you soon at a fair price.

darr

I am sure the humor would not have been appreciated when it happened. But it does beat crying--probably my response. ;)

It was my bf that called and when it happened, I became quiet and all she kept saying was: "What's wrong, what's wrong?"

I am one of those female types that does not get terribly upset unless someone shows ill-will towards one of my kids then all hell breaks loose. 👿
From there, I moved into "recovery mode" which started me thinking about where can I find another CFV-50c. Thank goodness B&H has them in stock at the moment.

I still shoot products for pay, so gotta have a replacement ASAP.

darr

Oh my Darr that is very, very unfortunate and yet it happens so easily and quickly. I nearly had a few mishaps with the handling of my 907X 50C which did improve a little with the grip. I have since switched back to Fujifilm GFX100S. I hope that Hasselblad get your back fixed and back to you soon at a fair price.

Thank you Stephen!
I was saving for a Fuji R kit, but looks like I am upgrading to the CFV-50c II. The original CFV-50c has been such a wonderful tool for me, I do not know if I will keep it as a backup, or sell it once it is serviced. I definitely will miss out on the Fuji R this time around though. 😔

stngoldberg

I wish I had read your post before you replaced your back.
I dropped my H3 back about ten years ago and similar to your experienc..it traveled back to Sweden for repair.
much to my surprise Hasselblad allowed me to borrow a used back during the 6 weeks or so it took to return my back.
You are a great ambassador for Hasselblad, so they may have considered that
stanley

darr

I wish I had read your post before you replaced your back.
I dropped my H3 back about ten years ago and similar to your experienc..it traveled back to Sweden for repair.
much to my surprise Hasselblad allowed me to borrow a used back during the 6 weeks or so it took to return my back.
You are a great ambassador for Hasselblad, so they may have considered that
stanley

Thank you for your kind comment, Stanley.
I am actually looking forward to see if the screen resolution on the 50c II is all that better than the 50c I.

docholliday

Yikes! That is one nasty impact point fracture. Sorry to hear about your "ooops". Your reaction to this is how I look at something like this, "It's a tool and now it's a broken tool". (However, if it was me, I'd probably launched the back and cover across the room simultaneously :)). I'm rough on my gear, but there's those few things (like when a back is off camera) where all time & space halts until the process is complete.

My lab at home has an old round, red safelight mounted on the outside wall above the door. Everybody who comes by know that when that's on, I'm either working with something dangerous or it's a "do-not-interrupt" task. I put it in years ago when I was tightening a screw on my 203 and a friend stopped by, knocking on the door. I looked up for a second to say "hi", slipped with the screwdriver, and shoved it right through the back curtains.

Hopefully, Hasselblad will get the repair done quickly. At least you'll have that new unit to work with to keep up with production!

D&A

Darr...we all feel your frustration and initial pain and I have no doubt the majority of us also had photographic mishaps (even me??? :) ) while being distracted or not paying full attention. Its why we are humans (maybe Martians never get distracted?). Of course when you find out the new CFV-50c II has better screen resolution than your previous back, you'll have some gratification from this this accident. I mean it was an unintentional accident wasn't it :) <ducking for cover>. In the meantime, we should all come up with a caption for the pic you posted as to what happened...something more interesting/inventive than a slip of the hand. Hope this story though has a happy ending at the end of the day...especially we'd miss any interruption to your wonderful inspiring images you regularly post here on Getdpi.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited: