The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Got my GFX100s today.

Ed Hurst

Thanks so much guys for the information! Appreciate it.

On the topic of noise between GFX100 and GFX100S, I have read one review suggesting there's a slight difference between the two (in favour of the GFX100), but that wasn't a controlled test, as far as I could see, or final firmware.

Ed Hurst

Quoted from the manual kindly linked above...

"Frame rates may slow as more shots are taken.
Frame rate varies with the scene, shutter speed, sensitivity, and focus mode...
Recording times may increase during burst shooting."

If anyone knows definitively the longest shutter speed that can be shot in 16-bit and 14-bit RAW modes, without the buffer ever filling (even if I shoot for, say, two hours continuously), I would be much in your debt! That's in full manual mode, with long exposure NR (i.e. dark frames) disabled and assumes a card that runs at least as fast as the camera can write, so the card isn't the bottleneck.

Last edited:

Ed Hurst

I am pretty close to making that decision and appreciate you bearing with me ;-)

Since star trails in bright, urban areas are a big thing for me, the ability of the camera to shoot consecutive exposures of 2 seconds (or shorter) without gaps is a very important factor. I would find it hard to buy the camera without knowing it can handle it.

Ed Hurst

If they allow me to shoot the camera for 15 mins non-stop, using 2 second exposures, I will be impressed at their service. But will try for sure!

Boinger

Ed I will hopefully have both cameras in hand shortly. And would be happy to do any tests you would like me to do.

I have the GFX 100 and I am getting the 100s (should have been here by now but USPS has kindly lost my package in transit somewhere) .

algrove

Once Eds concerns are handled perhaps this question might be of interest to those who might shoot over base ISO of 100..

Any comments on the best ISO after base ISO based on increased Raw analog gain? Is it ISO 500 and then what after that? ISO 1250? Could it be better than the GFX100 which continues to use analog gain until above ISO 12800. I understand the 50x models stop increasing RAW analog gain after ISO 1250.

Don Libby

Ordered it from B&H 1/28 and opted for overnight at $28 extra. Now the real wait begins :). Also need to decide what to do with the 100....