The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GFX100 Firmware 4.0 coming, impressive number of updates

Paul2660

Not sure if anyone else still with the GFX100 saw this over on Fuji Rumors, it's also now on Dpreview. A lot of improvements coming, to bring the GFX100 more in line with the 100s. Interesting read.
Nice to see this coming.

Paul

Knorp

Honestly, I'm hoping for a firmware update that will bring the GFX100s more in line with the 100 ... ;)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Personally I was happy to wave the wand and make the GFX100 become the GFX100S although it’s son of GFX100 and I did like its better EVF and tilt adapter. That said, I don’t miss the bulk and the images are just as good.

ron787

saw this over on Fuji Rumors, it's also now on Dpreview. A lot of improvements coming, to bring the GFX100 more in line with the 100s. Interesting read.
Nice to see this coming.

Paul
I had to laugh when I saw your post, "Not sure if anyone else still with the GFX100."
Are you implying that there had been a mass exodus of GFX100 owner/users, all kneeling before the GFX100s? I own both cameras (GFX100 and GFX100s), and I can, without a doubt, attest to the fact that the GFX100 remains a stellar camera whose superior, removable EVF, dual batteries, and heft, make it my camera of choice for landscape, product photography, macro and more. The GFX100s is my camera of choice for street photography, and possibly travel. They each have their own redeeming qualities.

Paul2660

Not trying to imply anything. Just picking up on the flow of information on this site and others where many users I know of have sold off the 100 to purchase the 100s. I am not one of them and won't be unless my 100 breaks (due to me or Fuji) in the future. I can't afford to take the huge loss. If I was starting out or moving from the 50r or 50s, odds are I would move to the 100s, just due to the 4K difference in cost for the same feature set and sensor. Owning the GFX100 since its first announcement, It has served me well and will still be a camera I look to when in the field. I was glad to see the firmware 4.0 announcement which is mainly going to bring the GFX100 up to the same feature level set as the 100s. So it's apparent that Fuji did make some significant improvements between the two cameras. Which has been a trend with Fuji for quite a while.

Paul

ron787

Hi Paul,
Didn't intend to ruffle your feathers, and while I am not a frequent visitor to the various forums, I have not noticed the alleged flurry of GFX100 owners ditching their cameras in favor of the 100s. As mentioned, I like, own, and use both, but the GFX100 has a clear advantage over the 100s when it comes to critical focusing, with its higher resolution EVF. And the tilt/swivel EVF adapter, for my purposes, is a must have, to the extent that I have it permanently affixed to the GFX100. So while the 100s is attractive to many in regards to its price-point, size and weight, it does have some detractors, ergo, its price-point and current position on the Fuji roster.

As for the upcoming firmware, the blurb mentions improved AF but, frankly, I have not noticed any significant difference between the AF of the GFX100 and the 100s. That said, if the improvement applies to AFC, I would defer to those who use it, since I do not. The rest of the 'improvement' appears to apply to jpg's, which I have no use for either. As I'd mentioned in my last post, both cameras have their place. Whether one is better than the other is a user decision and—cost aside—should be based upon function and the needs of the photographer.