The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Hasselblad 907x

glennedens

Dierk, thank you for sharing your experiments, very fun to see and interesting images. I really enjoy using the Flexbody as well as a Rollie X-ACT2 from time-to-time.

Kind regards,

Glenn

KC_2020

an exercise in DOF
I really appreciate being able to see these together !

Any thoughts on how these 3 lenses compare ?

All your images have been a very compelling testament to the quality of the 907X and the CVF II 50C.

dierk

Dierk, thank you for sharing your experiments, very fun to see and interesting images. I really enjoy using the Flexbody as well as a Rollie X-ACT2 from time-to-time.

Kind regards,

Glenn
Thanks Glenn,
I don't know very much about the Rollei X-ACT2, but compared with the Flexbody it is a different system with special lenses. In that case I could as well use my Gandolfy 4x5 - but of course only with longer focal lengths - you can't have it all :)
Regards
Dierk

dierk

I really appreciate being able to see these together !

Any thoughts on how these 3 lenses compare ?

All your images have been a very compelling testament to the quality of the 907X and the CVF II 50C.
Thanks KC,
I love the possibilities and flexibility that the CVF II 50C offers!

on this specific scene I wanted to test the possibilities and performance of these lenses, but in general these three lenses are not really comparable

the 21mm XCD is a great incredible sharp lens - but without any T/S function. For architecture you want to keep it vertically correct and crop later or correct it in PS. In the case of this picture with focus stacking (on a tripod) you may get any desired DOF

the 24mm Canon T/S-E offers tilt/shift movements in any direction with some limits of the image circle on this large sensor, I do shifted architecture very often hand held with this lens with very good results. On this picture I used the tilt function to put the focal plane parallel to the flowers

the Flexbody works with the original Hasselblad V lenses with there images circle for 6x6 and offers good movements for the smaller sensor of the CVF II 50C
BUT: the Flexbody offers only movements in vertical direction, my impression is, that it is made for table top photography, for architecture with 6x6 there is not enough IC for shift with wide angle lenses, with the smaller sensor of the CVF II 50C you can shift, but the 24mm TS-E has many advantages.
on this picture again I used the tilt function to put the focal plane parallel to the flowers

I hope, that answers your question :)
Dierk

KC_2020

Thank you Dierk for your generous and kind reply !

I've been shooting with the CF 60mm since 1985 but only recently bought a flex body. I bought it with the intention of using my V lenses with a CVF II 50C so it's great to see this comparison.

The Rollei X-ACT2 that Glenn is referring to is a great camera. They were designed and built by Horseman for Rollei. Think of a camera that's not quite as refined as an Arca Swiss M 6X9 but still a very fine camera.

Last edited:

glennedens

KC, wasn't the X-ACT2 made by Novoflex for Rollie? Yes it is a less refined Arca Swiss M - that is a good description. Some of the movements are geared and some are manual with a knob release - later models had more spirit levels - easy to zero. Full movements on the front and the back standards and any Novoflex A-series adaptor will work so a lot of lenses and bodies are covered. On the front I've used microscope lenses, LF lenses in copal 0 and 1, Hasselblad V-system lenses, old Nikon AI-s lenses and a few enlarging lenses. On the rear I've used X1D, CFV50ii, Leica SL, Nikon D810 and a Fuji XT-3. It is heavy and bulky so I tend to use it in the studio 90% of the time.

For outdoors the Flexbody with the CFV50ii and V-lenses are great, however no shift just rise and fall on the front and tilt on the rear - it is very light and if you can live with the restricted movements (as Dierk pointed out) it is a nice tool to have. I wish Hasselblad had done a BendyBlad version with geared rise/fall and shift - that would have been ideal.

Another great option is an Alpa with the 17mm tilt unit and the Litz Studio V-lens adaptor - as you all probably know Litz harvests parts from Flexbody's and makes a very nice Alpa to V-lens adaptor - at least it is a somewhat noble end to a Flexbody's life :)

I'll try and post a photo of the X-ACT2 setup this weekend.

Kind regards, Glenn

KC_2020

Glenn the original camera was designed and built by Horseman. This is the camera I owned.
Xact_H.jpg
Rollei also had Novolfex build a slightly modified camera that offered Rollei 6000 lens compatibility. Parts were shipped to Germany and Novolflex added the modified standard / lens boards and put 'made in Germany' on it.

Xact_N.jpg

Another great option is an Alpa with the 17mm tilt unit and the Litz Studio V-lens adaptor - as you all probably know Litz harvests parts from Flexbody's and makes a very nice Alpa to V-lens adaptor - at least it is a somewhat noble end to a Flexbody's life :)
I haven't seen this setup. It sounds ideal

ajayc

I have been holed up in Boise, ID for the last few weeks and fully vaccinated now. I ventured out to this little area in downtown called Freak Alley. Some very interesting murals from the local artists.. Please enjoy. All with the #907x and #xcd45p.

B0000160.jpg

B0000144.jpg

B0000134.jpg

B0000131.jpg

B0000130.jpg

B0000129.jpg

Hausen

One of my recent pics using the Laowa 15 Zero D shift. I really only use it before the sun comes up or after it goes down, because the bulbous front gets a little kinky with filters and the direction of the light. Pretty sharp, super wide and 8mm shift. I think I will get the Canon 24TSE for my LE work. This will be the third time I purchased one🤦‍♂️
Steampunk-2.jpg

Last edited:

dierk

I need to get shooting landscape again, but we have a lockdown. If you don't mind a test shot, here you go: :)

on Flickr
thanks. it looks less massy than in my kitchen :)
the picture on flickr is private, you have to use the private link, that you get from the arrow sign under the picture

Godfrey

Lots of lovely photos!

I've been away from using my 907x SE for a while .. first it was off to Hasselblad USA for a time to investigate the weird problem I was having with it pointed nose down. Then it came back but I was away, and away again, and distracted with other things. I've been shooting mostly with the iPhone 11 Pro all this time, and with my Polaroids. So a batch of Polaroid exposures had built up and I was waiting to get a moment to digitize them with the 907x a- because it does the best job of it, and b- because I needed to test it in the configuration that was causing me trouble before.

Well, I did 90 captures this morning on the copystand. No issues at all. Whatever Hasselblad did (and they say they were unable to replicate my problem...), the camera is working flawlessly now. Whatever ... as long as it works properly, I'm happy.

And now I have 90 images to sort, select from, and render. And tomorrow I should process the two rolls of 120 format and one roll of Minox format film and capture those too. Fun fun fun... :)

onwards! G

dierk

Lots of lovely photos!

I've been away from using my 907x SE for a while .. first it was off to Hasselblad USA for a time to investigate the weird problem I was having with it pointed nose down. Then it came back but I was away, and away again, and distracted with other things. I've been shooting mostly with the iPhone 11 Pro all this time, and with my Polaroids. So a batch of Polaroid exposures had built up and I was waiting to get a moment to digitize them with the 907x a- because it does the best job of it, and b- because I needed to test it in the configuration that was causing me trouble before.

Well, I did 90 captures this morning on the copystand. No issues at all. Whatever Hasselblad did (and they say they were unable to replicate my problem...), the camera is working flawlessly now. Whatever ... as long as it works properly, I'm happy.

And now I have 90 images to sort, select from, and render. And tomorrow I should process the two rolls of 120 format and one roll of Minox format film and capture those too. Fun fun fun... :)

onwards! G
Fun fun fun
I know, what you are feeling :)(y)
good luck with the next rolls
regards Dierk