The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya AFD lenses to GFX?

Arutemu

I was wondering if anyone knew about the possibility of adapting Mamiya AFD lenses on the Fuji GFX system? I know a number of companies make adapters for the Mamiya 645 to GFX. I also know that the M645 lenses fit the AFD bodies without a problem (know this for a fact since I have mounted m645 on AFD). So, physically mounting an AFD lens on GFX will not be an issue. However, the AFD lenses have no aperture rings, the aperture being controlled electronically from the camera body. This is a problem. I am not seeing any aperture controls on photos of the adapters, which makes sense - the M645 lenses all have aperture rings.

The way I see it, I have the following options:

1. Get the M645-GFX adapter and shoot wide open (Nope, not an option).
2. Get M645 manual lenses (can use them on my AFD body, but extra expense).
3. Get rid of my Mamiya AFD system to sponsor native GFX lenses (love my Mamiya AFD with AF + takes fun out of adapting).

What am I missing? Are these my only options?

rdeloe

For some lenses there simply are no adapters to be had.

I'm mostly adapting lenses on a GFX, but that's because I want camera movements. If I didn't need tilt or shift the case for adapting rather than using GFX lenses is not strong.

Ed Hurst

I know there is an adaptor for the Pentax 645 mount that allows aperture control of the Pentax lenses that don't have aperture rings (on GFX bodies). For the one I have seen, this seems to work in a pretty basic way, by adjusting the physical lever on the lens without the adaptor or the camera "knowing" what that actually equates to as f/stops. It's just based on setting different positions within the movement range of the lever (which will equate to different f/stops on different lenses). So you have to sort of do the maths yourself about what a given proportion of the movement range of the lever "means" for a given lens. Should work - but it's because, on the Pentax system, the electronic functions relate to a physical adjustment of the position of a lever. I don't know if that is true with the system you're referring to. If the functions are purely electronic without any impact on a physical process outside the lens, then an adaptor would have to be much more sophisticated and understand/use the electronic protocols of the system. At present, I am not aware of an adaptor that works like this for adapting medium format lenses to GFX, though there are other adaptors that do this (for example to allow the use of Canon EF glass on Sony FF bodies); so it's possible in theory! If they exist for GFX, would love to know.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
There are Mamiya M645 to GF adapters but they are manual (I have one for my 50/1.9. IIRC for AFD lenses so long as you have a DF body you can use it to set the aperture but then have to remove the AFD lens which keeps the stopped down aperture and can then put on a manual adapter. Horrible workflow but that’s what it is ...

I haven’t seen an electronic adapter like the Techart etc.

Gerd

There are electronical Mamiya / SK 645 adapters for Sony.

Link CLICK:

It can do exactly what we need. I wrote to Kipon about 6 months ago and told you that such an adapter would make sense for a GFX 100. Because there are many Phase One owners who also have a GFX or have switched.

Of course I didn't get any feedback :rolleyes:.

Greetings Gerd

Abstraction

What if you use a double adapter? - Mamiya AFD to Canon EF and then a Canon EF to GFX? Theoretically, that should work.

Arutemu

What if you use a double adapter? - Mamiya AFD to Canon EF and then a Canon EF to GFX? Theoretically, that should work.
Is there an autofocus Mamiya AFD to Canon EF adapter? I didn't know. In any event, I cannot imagine a double stack like that to be any good. Well, something to look into.

Gerd

I have not seen such an adapter. There is only the E-mount adapter mentioned above. But apart from the possibility of using a double adapter, the E-mount is pretty much the most unsuitable I can think of because of its diameter. And it is questionable if with two electronic adapters - in a double pack - the aperture control works at all.

Greetings Gerd

trias260

I am using a Kipon M645-GFX Shift adapter with a Mamiya Secor 45mm 1:2,8 N, which is a very nice lens. But everything is manually and this lens has an aperrture ring.
I would like to have something like the M645 (Mam/Phase/Schneider) to Sony E adapter, which obviously works fine, to use it with my P1 BR lenses and aperture control.
So if it is possible to do this for sony, it should also be possible to have a solution for GFX?
I will do the same like you did, Gerd. Sending a request to Kipon.
Die Hoffnung stirbt zuletzt....

Arutemu

Yep, checked around. Mamiya AFD to Canon EF autofocus adapter is not a thing. So that's that for that plan. Hell, I am not even married to autofocus, just something that can control the aperture of the AFD lenses and connect to GFX. Apparently such a thing does not exist :cry:

rdeloe

Yep, checked around. Mamiya AFD to Canon EF autofocus adapter is not a thing. So that's that for that plan. Hell, I am not even married to autofocus, just something that can control the aperture of the AFD lenses and connect to GFX. Apparently such a thing does not exist :cry:
I'm not sure how the adapter manufacturers make these decisions. Fotodiox released one not long ago for the Mamiya 7 to GFX. How did they decide that particular system, rather than other less niche ones?

I was wondering if anyone knew about the possibility of adapting Mamiya AFD lenses on the Fuji GFX system? I know a number of companies make adapters for the Mamiya 645 to GFX. I also know that the M645 lenses fit the AFD bodies without a problem (know this for a fact since I have mounted m645 on AFD). So, physically mounting an AFD lens on GFX will not be an issue. However, the AFD lenses have no aperture rings, the aperture being controlled electronically from the camera body. This is a problem. I am not seeing any aperture controls on photos of the adapters, which makes sense - the M645 lenses all have aperture rings.

The way I see it, I have the following options:

1. Get the M645-GFX adapter and shoot wide open (Nope, not an option).
2. Get M645 manual lenses (can use them on my AFD body, but extra expense).
3. Get rid of my Mamiya AFD system to sponsor native GFX lenses (love my Mamiya AFD with AF + takes fun out of adapting).

What am I missing? Are these my only options?
kipon makes one with Focal Reducer and done without...

https://www.kipon-global.com/produc...ucer-electronic-adapter-phase-m645-gfx-e-0-8x

https://www.kipon-global.com/product-page/electronic-adapter-phase-m645-gfx