The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Newly announced Leica SL 24-70/2.8

eddystone

This new lens is quite modestly priced for a Leica, certainly compared to the 24-90/2.8-4.0; could it be based on the Sigma 24-70 DN Contemporary or even the Panasonic 24-70 which it is priced quite close to. Odd move by Leica. Do SL/SL2 owners feel they have to have Leica lenses or do some mix Leica, Sigma and Panasonic lenses?

msadat

I also wondered about the price, I will pick sigma since they previously worked with them and since the penny (superb lens) is about the same price

Paul2660

Lens is made in Japan so cost to manufacture is less. Supposed first in a series of more budget priced lenses in the L mount. if reviews continue to be positive on this lens hopefully they will come out with a cheaper version of the 90-280 or a similar.

Paul

iiiNelson

This new lens is quite modestly priced for a Leica, certainly compared to the 24-90/2.8-4.0; could it be based on the Sigma 24-70 DN Contemporary or even the Panasonic 24-70 which it is priced quite close to. Odd move by Leica. Do SL/SL2 owners feel they have to have Leica lenses or do some mix Leica, Sigma and Panasonic lenses?
I read somewhere that it's a rebadged Sigma Art lens. The Contemporary is a 28-70 and not t he 24-70. In either case I'd likely choose the Lumix lens over the Sigma but I'm not a huge fan of many Sigma lenses in general.

Paul2660

I would agree it’s a rebadged Sigma Art 24-70. Same number of elements 19 and groups 15. Same filter size 82mm and very similar look to the focal ring and focus ring rubber. Leica has their traditional yellow lettering on theirs.

Paul