The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GH5 Mark II

iiiNelson

Will not make many friends with the link to Tony Northrups video about the status of m43 and the GH5 II and GH6 but anyway here it is

I know a lot of folks hate Tony, but I must admit he unfortunately predicted "the death of m43" already some years ago and unfortunately he seems to be right.

Take/make your own best decision - for me it was finally enough after many years of waiting in April of 2021 and I left behind all my m43 gear (from Olympus) and I could not be happier having done that and moved on again to FF after so many years.
Hate is a strong word… I think he does a lot of clickbait and hot takes… and is somewhat irresponsible in how he tried to cover the ‘Afghan Girl’ controversy. I’ve blocked himand his videos from appearing in my feed. I’m sure he’s a nice individual in real life but I disagree with many of his statements that aren’t contextual used for his needs.

The irony in you choosing Tony Northrup to quote is that he says the same exact things (historically) about Nikon…

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hate is a strong word… I think he does a lot of clickbait and hot takes… and is somewhat irresponsible in how he tried to cover the ‘Afghan Girl’ controversy. I’ve blocked himand his videos from appearing in my feed. I’m sure he’s a nice individual in real life but I disagree with many of his statements that aren’t contextual used for his needs.

The irony in you choosing Tony Northrup to quote is that he says the same exact things (historically) about Nikon…
Well I choose his video as I accidentally fell over it, watched it and this time I had to agree pretty much with him about the state and future of m43.

Generally I also try to avoid looking at his videos anymore. WRT Nikon - he is not the only one predicting that Nikon is in bad shape - but believe me - I don't give a s..t on it. I simply love Nikons new approach to mirrorless and am pretty happy with what they are doing and promising. My advantage here is that during my photography life (the last 50 years) I almost owned all systems - analog and digital - and always came back to 3 systems - Nikon, Leica and Olympus - and in MF Hasselblad. And never could really get friends with all the other systems.

Today I just want to use a system where I have not only confidence in its current features and capabilities, but also in the future of this system. I admit with Nikon this is a bit difficult currently, but their bodies, implementations, designs and plans for the future resonate almost 100% with my needs and desires. And to be honest - even as I "only" shoot a Z7 and not the Z7II I am still very happy with AF and especially Eye-AF performance in their latest FW releases, one of the biggest complaints currently from most of the community. But on top of that ergonomics and IQ are just stellar for me, so that's the main reason I am using that system.

If whatever changes in the future that "forces" me to switch systems again, I am ok with that, as I have obviously done that zillions of times during my life - so my motto is simply - use what you like and what makes sense for you and enjoy, and don't care about that rest and especially what others say, think and propagate.

So my photographic future stays interesting and exciting (y):cool::giggle:(y)

iiiNelson

Well I choose his video as I accidentally fell over it, watched it and this time I had to agree pretty much with him about the state and future of m43.

Generally I also try to avoid looking at his videos anymore. WRT Nikon - he is not the only one predicting that Nikon is in bad shape - but believe me - I don't give a s..t on it. I simply love Nikons new approach to mirrorless and am pretty happy with what they are doing and promising. My advantage here is that during my photography life (the last 50 years) I almost owned all systems - analog and digital - and always came back to 3 systems - Nikon, Leica and Olympus - and in MF Hasselblad. And never could really get friends with all the other systems.

Today I just want to use a system where I have not only confidence in its current features and capabilities, but also in the future of this system. I admit with Nikon this is a bit difficult currently, but their bodies, implementations, designs and plans for the future resonate almost 100% with my needs and desires. And to be honest - even as I "only" shoot a Z7 and not the Z7II I am still very happy with AF and especially Eye-AF performance in their latest FW releases, one of the biggest complaints currently from most of the community. But on top of that ergonomics and IQ are just stellar for me, so that's the main reason I am using that system.

If whatever changes in the future that "forces" me to switch systems again, I am ok with that, as I have obviously done that zillions of times during my life - so my motto is simply - use what you like and what makes sense for you and enjoy, and don't care about that rest and especially what others say, think and propagate.

So my photographic future stays interesting and exciting (y):cool::giggle:(y)
Yeah… I’m not saying that you shouldn’t use Nikon and that you are wrong for enjoying it. I kinda figured you’d go that direction in the end because I felt like you were waiting on a reason in your mind to choose them.

Nothing wrong with that but for all the negativity that some have for L-mount AF (or Panasonic DFD in general), I don’t find it to be any worse than Nikon or Fuji in practical photography. No one has AF as good as Sony right now and the reality is that everyone becomes more honest about what they don’t like when shortcomings of a system come up. The reality is that no system is bad today and people choose a system based on subjective needs. Really the only way to get the best of everything is to own everything but then I’m sure that will lead people to finding that every company has blind spots. For me with the Sony it comes down to body size with larger lenses. If the A1 were the size of a Fuji XH1 then I’d sell everything else and buy two of them. The camera is really that good but I just refuse to buy another Sony body until they get the size right FOR ME. Outside of the Tamron Trio I haven’t bought any Sony lenses since the first Batis lenses were released.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Yeah… I’m not saying that you shouldn’t use Nikon and that you are wrong for enjoying it. I kinda figured you’d go that direction in the end because I felt like you were waiting on a reason in your mind to choose them.

Nothing wrong with that but for all the negativity that some have for L-mount AF (or Panasonic DFD in general), I don’t find it to be any worse than Nikon or Fuji in practical photography. No one has AF as good as Sony right now and the reality is that everyone becomes more honest about what they don’t like when shortcomings of a system come up. The reality is that no system is bad today and people choose a system based on subjective needs. Really the only way to get the best of everything is to own everything but then I’m sure that will lead people to finding that every company has blind spots. For me with the Sony it comes down to body size with larger lenses. If the A1 were the size of a Fuji XH1 then I’d sell everything else and buy two of them. The camera is really that good but I just refuse to buy another Sony body until they get the size right FOR ME. Outside of the Tamron Trio I haven’t bought any Sony lenses since the first Batis lenses were released.
The Z7 body size is just perfect for me. Even more perfect is the Leica SL2 size for my hands and my workflow, and I must admit their (DFD) AF is pretty excellent for what I want - just does not support Eye AF but otherwise accurate and fast enough for my needs. As I am lusting already pretty long time (since 2009) to get back into the Leica ecosystem again their current offerings of the SL2 with that new Leica (Sigma) 2.8/24-70 are very attractive and there are also a bunch of second hand SL lenses currently on the market where I live for a reasonable price - maybe I will get weak ...

iiiNelson

The Z7 body size is just perfect for me. Even more perfect is the Leica SL2 size for my hands and my workflow, and I must admit their (DFD) AF is pretty excellent for what I want - just does not support Eye AF but otherwise accurate and fast enough for my needs. As I am lusting already pretty long time (since 2009) to get back into the Leica ecosystem again their current offerings of the SL2 with that new Leica (Sigma) 2.8/24-70 are very attractive and there are also a bunch of second hand SL lenses currently on the market where I live for a reasonable price - maybe I will get weak ...
The Panasonic and Leica DFD does in fact have and support Eye AF protocols. When I get a chance I can upload a video showing how it works on the S1R. In general it's decent but obviously isn't as good as Sony in that area... but no one really is right now. These bodies have always had Eye AF the current generation FF bodies. There have been firmware updates that have improved the AF performance as well since launch. I use Eye AF on my S1R regularly when photographing people with native L-mount lenses.

As for the Sigma lenses... I'm not a huge fan as they don't do a great job of optimizing them for L-mount. The new i Series (24, 35, 45, and 65mm lenses for now) seem to do better than the Art Series lenses though. It reminds me of their lackluster support early on with Sony bodies. Ironically their lenses work best on Sony bodies overall... but work better on Panasonic and Leica bodies than their own Sigma bodies. They're a very confusing company to me in many ways.

iiiNelson

Well the specs for the GH6 loo nice. The GH5II looks ok if you were thinking about a GH5. The streaming ability is a great feature and the updated processors help to add features from the LUMIX S bodies.

The announcement on the 25-50/1.7 is a nice development too. It’ll be interesting to see if the GH6 goes to a APS-C sensor. It’s well known that many Micro 4/3 lenses cover Super 35 sensors. There are even a few cameras that have done this from JVC (using a Micro 43 mount with a Super 35/APS-C sensor). If this happens it’ll be interesting to see if there’s a plan for porting some of these Micro 4/3 lenses that cover Super 35 into L-mount for future cameras potentially. Also it’s nice to see the price cut on the GH5 to $1200.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The GH5 II is the pragmatic choice for video production, particularly for those who (like me) are heavily invested in MFT lenses etc.

Super 35 for GH6? Stranger things have happened, but it's worth noticing that Blackmagic changed to EF-mount went they went for Super 35 in their 6K Pocket. Whatever the format will be, the GH6 will be a strong competitor vs. anything else, particularly if they offer in-camera RAW, preferably with a choice between ProRes and BlackMagic.

Me? I don't know. I should upgrade this year, but at the current prices, I can almost get the original GH5 plus a G9 for the price of a GH5 II ($1,100 + 1,300 vs (probably) $1,900), and I do need two bodies. That would also give me access to the excellent hi-res mode of the G9. I think the only reason why they omitted hi-res for the GH5 II is to avoid making the G9 obsolete.

In any case, Panasonic shows that at least for the video market, they still support MFT strongly. Although the full frame S5 isn't more expensive than the GH5 II, most of the lenses are, not to speak about weight and size. The GH5 also offers much more advanced video functionality, and for most video producers, shallow depth of field is more of a challenge than a bonus. However, since the S5 uses the same batteries and cards as the GH5 II, I can see myself getting an S5 too, for low light and for those artsy shallow DOF sequences that I may or may not do in the future. Also, it would be great for photography work, and that is probably what kills the G9 for me. The image quality of the S5 is right there up at the top.

I have been considering getting a Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 to use with the Viltrox booster, but the announcement of the Panasonic 25-50mm changes that. The claim that it will fit in the same rig as the 10-25mm is a big advantage. My hope is that it's parfocal. I'm sure they try their best to achieve that. Let's see...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
From the GH6 press release:
"Moreover, the GH6 records 10-bit 5.7K 60p video by taking full advantage of the newly developed Micro Four Thirds sensor."

So it will have a 4/3 sensor. I also looked at the lens mount and found that fitting a sensor that is much taller probably wouldn't be possible due to the electctrical contacts. A wider one would fit though, and who wouldn't love a wide aspect ratio sensor...?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The GH5 II is the pragmatic choice for video production, particularly for those who (like me) are heavily invested in MFT lenses etc.

Super 35 for GH6? Stranger things have happened, but it's worth noticing that Blackmagic changed to EF-mount went they went for Super 35 in their 6K Pocket. Whatever the format will be, the GH6 will be a strong competitor vs. anything else, particularly if they offer in-camera RAW, preferably with a choice between ProRes and BlackMagic.

Me? I don't know. I should upgrade this year, but at the current prices, I can almost get the original GH5 plus a G9 for the price of a GH5 II ($1,100 + 1,300 vs (probably) $1,900), and I do need two bodies. That would also give me access to the excellent hi-res mode of the G9. I think the only reason why they omitted hi-res for the GH5 II is to avoid making the G9 obsolete.

In any case, Panasonic shows that at least for the video market, they still support MFT strongly. Although the full frame S5 isn't more expensive than the GH5 II, most of the lenses are, not to speak about weight and size. The GH5 also offers much more advanced video functionality, and for most video producers, shallow depth of field is more of a challenge than a bonus. However, since the S5 uses the same batteries and cards as the GH5 II, I can see myself getting an S5 too, for low light and for those artsy shallow DOF sequences that I may or may not do in the future. Also, it would be great for photography work, and that is probably what kills the G9 for me. The image quality of the S5 is right there up at the top.

I have been considering getting a Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 to use with the Viltrox booster, but the announcement of the Panasonic 25-50mm changes that. The claim that it will fit in the same rig as the 10-25mm is a big advantage. My hope is that it's parfocal. I'm sure they try their best to achieve that. Let's see...
In your shoes I would go for the GH5II as it seems to be a real upgrade especially in processing power above the original GH5 and should tick most boxes of your requirements. And the additional processing power allows now for a lot of updates that could not be brought to the original GH5 because of the slower and less capable processor, such as improved and meanwhile obviously pretty decent AFC, Eye-AF, etc.

Also that Panasonic 10-25 and 25-50 seem to be excellent choices, here again a video by our "friend" Tony where he test drives the GH5II and the 10-25 - at least it gives a feeling ....

If I would still be in m43 land these would become my go to lenses together with either the GH5II and/or the GH6.

BTW the Olympus 1.2/25 PRO was one of my absolute favourite lenses I owned for m43, I guess the 1.2/45 must be even better for portraits and both lenses can be had used for pretty attractive prices (around 1/2 of street price). And both don't have OIS but the GH5II has IBIS (as will the GH6) and hence these should work perfectly together. Especially as the GH5II has an improved IBIS mechanism with up to 6.5 stops, actually I think that tops even Olympus IBIS.

Anyway enjoy :)(y):)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
"Moreover, the GH6 records 10-bit 5.7K 60p video by taking full advantage of the newly developed Micro Four Thirds sensor."

So it will have a 4/3 sensor. I also looked at the lens mount and found that fitting a sensor that is much taller probably wouldn't be possible due to the electctrical contacts. A wider one would fit though, and who wouldn't love a wide aspect ratio sensor...?
I do not believe they will bring again a multi aspect ratio sensor. What I read out of this is that they will most probably not go 8k video and limit themselves to 5.7K which should be enough anyway - I do not want to get in all that 4k/8k discussion and rathole here. But given the limited and small size of the 43 sensor it makes perfect sense to limit MP count to something between 24 - 32 MP, make the sensor BSI and maybe even stacked and thus have a really fast readout combined with excellent DR and high ISO performance and forget about 8K video.

PS1: Just my 5c, interesting to see what really comes to market later this year.
PS2: interesting to see what the next Olympus Pro camera will bring as this should be the "WOW" camera due to OMD Solutions :unsure:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Actually this video from Adorama with Rob Adams shows even better what excellent capabilities especially in the video area the GH5II brings

I think a video shooter cannot get wrong with that Panasonic offering!

And man, look at this almost perfect tracking (body, face and eyes) - you can see it in action around 3 minutes in the video above.

Plus that "shiny red" record button looks really sexy! I want such a button in yellow on my Nikons :LOL:

Last edited:

iiiNelson

Yeah I saw that after I posted but didn’t bother updating my post. I wouldn’t be surprised to see some of the lenses converted over to L-mount still if Panasonic makes a APS-C body. If not the GH6 looks like maybe the one to get should there be a killer combo of features and at worst it’ll further drive the price of the GH5II down.

I doubt there will be internal RAW as RED still has the patent for internal compressed RAW video. As much as I respect companies owning IP’s this seems counterproductive to innovation and processes while RED can pretty much set their own fee to incorporate internal RAW. Can you imagine if every company had to pay Kodak for including RAW photo abilities? RED just won another court case this time against Kinefinity for inserting ProRes RAW into the Mavo Edge 8K and CinemaDNG into the Mavo LF. Blackmagic gets around this because BRAW isn’t a true RAW codec as some of the demosaic processes happen in the image pipeline within the camera instead of capturing true RAW data… also I’m sure Atomos and BMD want to sell external monitors to justify the R&D they put into developing solutions for hybrid cameras. I’d like BMD to redesign their Video Assist to accept Atomos SSD trays. As it stands, I can’t see my self wanting to record to SD cards in a recorder. Storage rates are comparatively through the roof compared to SSD.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Here's the sensation of the day, a very positive review of the GH5 II from Tony Northrup! He even shows how the GH5 II AF outperforms Sony in some situations.

The story he tells here is one about a tool that actually works in most situations. That 10-25mm lens isn't cheap of course, but neither are similar full frame lenses from Canon, Nikon and Sony. And with two of these bodies and the 10-25 plus 25-50 mm lenses, I would be covered for 90% of all video and photo work I do. The rest can be solved with the 7-14 and 100-300 mm lenses that I already have.

No need to wait for the GH6, and the extra monies over the original GH5 are probably worth it.

In this video, Gordon Laing demonstrates the excellent live streaming via mobile phone capabilities of the GH5 II. It's almost too good to be through. One could broadcast live news from this camera and a mobile phone. The mobile/camera live streaming starts at 14:05:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
But there's more. This guy goes through the menu system and shows many new functions that I haven't seen discussed elsewhere:

iiiNelson

Here's the sensation of the day, a very positive review of the GH5 II from Tony Northrup! He even shows how the GH5 II AF outperforms Sony in some situations.

The story he tells here is one about a tool that actually works in most situations. That 10-25mm lens isn't cheap of course, but neither are similar full frame lenses from Canon, Nikon and Sony. And with two of these bodies and the 10-25 plus 25-50 mm lenses, I would be covered for 90% of all video and photo work I do. The rest can be solved with the 7-14 and 100-300 mm lenses that I already have.

No need to wait for the GH6, and the extra monies over the original GH5 are probably worth it.

In this video, Gordon Laing demonstrates the excellent live streaming via mobile phone capabilities of the GH5 II. It's almost too good to be through. One could broadcast live news from this camera and a mobile phone. The mobile/camera live streaming starts at 14:05:

Well the live streaming/broadcasting from a phone was one of the big features with the Sony A1 that released in February but I really hope to see this get pushed in the Lumix S cameras through a firmware update. I think this will become the "norm" much like using most pro camera as a webcam are a "norm" now. No doubt that the Lumix/Leica G 10-25 and 25-50 will be a great combo. I wouldn't mind seeing a FF equivalent with f/2 apertures as true prime replacement type lenses. They also hinted at a few other lenses that'll be announced later and I'm guessing that these announcements will come around the time the final specs of the GH6 is released.

I don't see myself utilizing the Lumix G system any longer as my main driver but I could perhaps see a GH6 (depending on lowlight and AF performance) as a travel camera... but I've said this for some time now - the performance of DFD is directly tied to the processor speed and bandwidth. As they improve greatly then so will the performance to the level that it won't matter that they don't use hybrid PDAF. I think the tech is proven in theory but I think the implementation was well ahead of it's time. Panasonic (and to some extent L-mount as a whole) has a pretty big PR battle on its hands to shake the perception of their AF performance for SOME customers. For photos it's always been fine for most shooters that aren't really into tracking swiftly moving wildlife that happen to be small in size. For video the continuous AF is just unreliable in that sometimes it'll grab an entire bridal party dancing and track them like a pride of lions hunting a wildebeest at 10000 ISO... and sometimes it'll just randomly focus to infinity in broad daylight while you're trying to shoot the ONLY barn in a field and then come back to its senses. At this point it's the main reason I still haven't sold everything that I own with Sony... but 90%+ of the time it gets everything right.

I'd sooner save my money for the next Lumix S bodies over the GH5II because let's face it - that's the place for the most growth in the Panasonic lineup with three companies dedicated (as of today) to making cameras and lenses. Who knows what the long term health of the Micro 4/3 system will be with Olmpus in limbo but at a minimum I can see a place where Panasonic will continue to support the GH ecosystem as they have a healthy thing going there specifically. I can see them dropping everything that isn't a flagship and letting the older cameras becoming their "value line" as they age and supplies are available.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
A S5/GH5 II combo could be more or less ideal for me. When it comes to stills, the S5 is more or less as good as it gets. In addition, the two cameras are:

- More or less the same size
- Use the same batteries
- Use the same SD cards
- Have similar ergonomics

However, for the S5 to really show its value, a few more f/1.8 primes are needed, and those are not yet available and would, for a 24/50/85 mm trio cost more or less the same as another body. The 20-60 mm is nice, but at the long end it's more than 3 stops slower than my $200 MFT 25 mm f/1.7, and probably not as sharp. That won't cut it. The 10-25 mm f/1.7 obviously makes the 20-60 mm look like a piece of ancient plastic junk. Not that the 20-60 is a bad lens. It's just that the 10-25 is such a rocket.

In addition, the GH5 II has quite a few video tricks up it sleve that the S5 doesn't. Why is it so difficult to implement shutter angle? To me, it's such an obvious thing, and I know many videographers who now and then forget to adjust shutter speed. Also having an all-i codec is worth its weight in gold for challenging situations, or if I know that I have to edit on a slow computer on-site.

It does of course matter too that I have so many MFT lenses and other gear, much of it with very limited second hand value. And every time I consider buying a full frame body for low light assignments, that 10-25 starts winking to me from down the corridor... "catch me if you can". It costs more or less the same as a basic full frame body, and for the latter I would have to buy some lenses, so it makes perfect sense. That lens and the upcoming 25-50 mm are among the most important reasons why staying with MFT makes sense to me. Well done, Panasonic.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
If I would further use m43 the 10-25 would be a no brainer for me. That combined with the 25-50 and some longer telezoom like the 100-400 and you are done.

On the other hand a combo between m43 and FF is interesting, but as it was with me I almost never used m43 since I had FF again, especially as the right FF camera with the right lenses gets pretty small and light today.

iiiNelson

A S5/GH5 II combo could be more or less ideal for me. When it comes to stills, the S5 is more or less as good as it gets. In addition, the two cameras are:

- More or less the same size
- Use the same batteries
- Use the same SD cards
- Have similar ergonomics

However, for the S5 to really show its value, a few more f/1.8 primes are needed, and those are not yet available and would, for a 24/50/85 mm trio cost more or less the same as another body. The 20-60 mm is nice, but at the long end it's more than 3 stops slower than my $200 MFT 25 mm f/1.7, and probably not as sharp. That won't cut it. The 10-25 mm f/1.7 obviously makes the 20-60 mm look like a piece of ancient plastic junk. Not that the 20-60 is a bad lens. It's just that the 10-25 is such a rocket.

In addition, the GH5 II has quite a few video tricks up it sleve that the S5 doesn't. Why is it so difficult to implement shutter angle? To me, it's such an obvious thing, and I know many videographers who now and then forget to adjust shutter speed. Also having an all-i codec is worth its weight in gold for challenging situations, or if I know that I have to edit on a slow computer on-site.

It does of course matter too that I have so many MFT lenses and other gear, much of it with very limited second hand value. And every time I consider buying a full frame body for low light assignments, that 10-25 starts winking to me from down the corridor... "catch me if you can". It costs more or less the same as a basic full frame body, and for the latter I would have to buy some lenses, so it makes perfect sense. That lens and the upcoming 25-50 mm are among the most important reasons why staying with MFT makes sense to me. Well done, Panasonic.
I am still considering the S5 for my wife but it would be a step backwards for what I’d want. I’m pretty sure it has shutter angle in the video setting. You can choose which setup you want… well at least on the S1 camera lines. If the S5 doesn’t allow this then that would be a surprise to me.

In any case it’s still a good value for an entry level S camera. Panasonic went about it a completely different way then I would have and it has me questioning the point of having flagship bodies if the entry level cameras within the same generation gets the majority of the features through firmware 6-12 months later. That’s one way to potentially alienate/tick off the high end customers and ensure they cross shop when it’s time to upgrade. I’m shocked that they still don’t have 10-bit for 24p,25p, and 30p modes or VLOG in the S1R. They added 5K24/25/30 and 4K60p with 10-bit in November. Just doesn’t make much sense given that the LeicaSL2 had all of this at launch nearly 2 years ago and these are features on the bottom of the barrel entry level camera. It’s not really a matter of capability either… the S1R sensor is technically able to do up to 8K60p by raw specs of the sensor. Im not sure of the overheating that would occur but honestly I’d be perfectly happy with restricting all of that to external recording since that’s my preferred way to do video to begin with.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
You are right. SS/gain operation was added with firmware 2.0 in November last year, also for all S1 models. I also had a look at a couple of the videos that PhotoJoseph has made about the S5. I have to admit that I had no idea how advanced that camera is. I have to stop reading reviews at dpr. They only scratch the surface of the real capabilities of cameras.

This makes the S5 an even more interesting camera for me, so maybe buy that camera first and see what the GH6 brings to the table later, before the decision on the second body, which could then be another S5, a GH5 II or a GH6.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
One thing that needs to happen in Panasonic AF (as long as they stay DFD contrast based only) is to increase sensor readout speed. This obviously happened already with the S5 and will again (hopefully) happen with the GH6, as this one will have a completely new and redesigned sensor.

While testing the Leica SL2 earlier this week it was pretty obvious that the SL2 AFC (face and body) is not as confident and fast as even the Nikon Z7 AF and this is known to be not the best AFC. And the Leica uses that same Panasonic technology. So they need to work on this and it will be interesting to see what their new GH6 will be able to deliver here. It should better be a real big upgrade - hopefully.

But maybe a miracle will happen and they decide to go also PDAF in addition to contrast based like all the others do.

Will be interesting to see if/when that happens.