The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images 2021

D&A

"A Capital 4th". Washington D.C.
Pentax 645Z; FA 45-85mm or FA 200mm f4.

Back Story:

In past years, photographing the National 4th of July fireworks in Wash. D.C. , I generally picked one of four designated spots. Each offered something different in terms of the view of monuments or recognized landmarks, juxtaposed with that years fireworks. Often times the firework placements for launch, move from the expected locations, which sometimes throws a curveball. Last year was a seminal year for the show, where more than 5 separate locations were picked to launch, creating an almost 120+ degree panorama.

This year, hoping they would utilize two well known launch locations, I decided to try a brand new location near Gravelly Point, which is located at the tip of the runways of National Airport (adjacent to the Potomac River), where the decent of aircraft is so low, one can often see and wave to the pilot and crew of large approaching aircraft (737 etc.). About 1/2 mile from this location was a very small clearing of trees that gave a view of the historical "Long Bridge", which was originally a wooden bridge built in 1809 connecting Alexandria Va. to Washington D.C., spanning the Potomac River and was rebuilt many times over the past 200 years. Today its an essential bridge for rail traffic, utilized by Metro, Amtrak passenger and Freight service.

Here is a link to the Lengthy history of "Long Bridge": History of The Long Bridge - DCNRHS - Washington, D.C. Chapter NRHS

To make a long story short, I thought according to plans, part of the fireworks would either encompass both sides of the bridge or possibly directly over the bridge, sort of emulating the well known New Years Eve firework display often depicted in pictures of Sydney Harbor, Australia (on a less grandeur scale). No such luck. Where last years show may have been the pinnacle of the Nations 4th of July firework displays even with the pandemic, this years show was modest by comparison and it appeared to have only one launch point (although some said two), well west of the Long Bridge. With the foreground trees and the seemingly limited firework display well to my left (west), I barely could get a view. If I moved any more to my right (one or two feet, I would have dropped off a steep incline, right into the Potomac river. Sometimes best laid plans simply don't work out. The first three pics represent my attempt and a slowed down Metro train to let passengers get a view of the firework can be seen in one of the pics.

*** The remaining pics after the first three posted, were either never posted or reworked and taken other years, simply to show and contrast the difference of the shows. Regardless, its not how big the show was but what it represented.

Dave (D&A)

_IMG0137 for web.jpg_IMG2482 for web.jpg

Last edited:

dj may

I quite like the shot with the train. Missed plans create opportunities. Well done.

"A Capital 4th". Washington D.C.
Pentax 645Z; FA 45-85mm or FA 200mm f4.

Back Story:

In past years, photographing the National 4th of July fireworks in Wash. D.C. , I generally picked one of four designated spots. Each offered something different in terms of the view of monuments or recognized landmarks, juxtaposed with that years fireworks. Often times the firework placements for launch, move from the expected locations, which sometimes throws a curveball. Last year was a seminal year for the show, where more than 5 separate locations were picked to launch, creating an almost 120+ degree panorama.

This year, hoping they would utilize two well known launch locations, I decided to try a brand new location near Gravelly Point, which is located at the tip of the runways of National Airport (adjacent to the Potomac River), where the decent of aircraft is so low, one can often see and wave to the pilot and crew of large approaching aircraft (737 etc.). About 1/2 mile from this location was a very small clearing of trees that gave a view of the historical "Long Bridge", which was originally a wooden bridge built in 1809 connecting Alexandria Va. to Washington D.C., spanning the Potomac River and was rebuilt many times over the past 200 years. Today its an essential bridge for rail traffic, utilized by Metro, Amtrak passenger and Freight service.

Here is a link to the Lengthy history of "Long Bridge": History of The Long Bridge - DCNRHS - Washington, D.C. Chapter NRHS

To make a long story short, I thought according to plans, part of the fireworks would either encompass both sides of the bridge or possibly directly over the bridge, sort of emulating the well known New Years Eve firework display often depicted in pictures of Sydney Harbor, Australia (on a less grandeur scale). No such luck. Where last years show may have been the pinnacle of the Nations 4th of July firework displays even with the pandemic, this years show was modest by comparison and it appeared to have only one launch point (although some said two), well west of the Long Bridge. With the foreground trees and the seemingly limited firework display well to my left (west), I barely could get a view. If I moved any more to my right (one or two feet, I would have dropped off a steep incline, right into the Potomac river. Sometimes best laid plans simply don't work out. The first three pics represent my attempt and a slowed down Metro train to let passengers get a view of the firework can be seen in one of the pics.

*** The remaining pics after the first three posted, were either never posted or reworked and taken other years, simply to show and contrast the difference of the shows. Regardless, its not how big the show was but what it represented.

Dave (D&A)

View attachment 186357View attachment 186358

Reactions: D&A

D&A

Great shots Dave. Wish I had seen that remarkable display.
Thank you for your Kind words Tom, greatly appreciated! Would have loved you and other Getup members there to shoot with, especially with the immense talent shown by everyone here. The National firework display is something to look forward to each year (except when waiting for it in near 100 degree heat) :)

Dave (D&A)

D&A

I quite like the shot with the train. Missed plans create opportunities. Well done.
That is so kind of you and I couldn't agree more with your statement about missed opportunities although a few minutes prior to that Metro train (which generally stop for no one (and did for the fireworks)....a beautiful freight train with large diesel engine with double big headlights and some lighted frig cars crossed a few minutes earlier but missed it while speaking with someone. Talk about missed opportunities...LOL. can't win them all :)

Dave (D&A)

scho

Walk along the south end of Cayuga Lake on the day before the big centennial celebration in Stewart Park tomorrow.

Three shot pano looking north on Cayuga Lake from Stewart Park

Two groups of "swingers"

Artist practicing her dance moves for tomorrow's performance at the centennial celebration

Escape route

All with the GFX 100s and GF 32-64

nameBrandon

From the Fourth of July weekend in Minnesota. Still marinating on these edits.. these may change.. :unsure:;)

All with the GFX 100S

100-200 @200mm f/16

Same scene, zoomed out with the 32-64 @ 32mm f/16

32-64 @ 32mm f/14

These darn pier shots are a lot harder than they look.. the alignment is a pain. I have a whole new level of respect for those who can do these well..

32-63 @ 33mm f/22