The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Electronic shutter in combination with image stabilisation

diet_sch

Electronic shutter in combination with image stabilisation in long distance shots lead to surreal results
Fujifilm GFX100 - 600mm - IBIS - 1/1000s

Bhv_21_A7.jpg

Knorp

Weird - I thought this kind of distortion only occurred with movement by either user or subject (or both).

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Weird - I thought this kind of distortion only occurred with movement by either user or subject (or both).
In all seriousness, I'm assuming that's a non-native lens. I had a lot of weird interaction with, e.g., Canon lenses - stabilized or not - with the Fuji IBIS. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see the sensor drifting during the exposure. I had better results with the Fuji 250 + 1.4x than with the Canon 400/5.6 for just that reason.

diet_sch

Mamiya 645 Sekor 5.6/300mm ULD + Mamiya 2x
The lens is all mechanical - there is no data influence possible to the camera body.

Movement of user - no tripod

Last edited:

nameBrandon

In all seriousness, I'm assuming that's a non-native lens. I had a lot of weird interaction with, e.g., Canon lenses - stabilized or not - with the Fuji IBIS. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see the sensor drifting during the exposure. I had better results with the Fuji 250 + 1.4x than with the Canon 400/5.6 for just that reason.
Did we already talk about this? I can't remember.. what other lenses did you try on the telephoto end with the GFX 100 sensor?

I've got the following coming as rentals as I really don't want to deal with the size of the GFX 250mm.. but if none work out, I may have to..

• Sigma 100-400 5-6.3
  • Sigma 150-600 Contemporary (5-6.3)
  • Canon 100-400 II
  • Canon 70-300L IS
Also doing some testing on the wide end to avoid buying the 23mm but we'll see, that one is more about having a wider zoom than the size of the 23mm..

• Sigma ART 12-24
  • Sigma ART 14-24

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The 250/4 is not that large, and is certainly lighter than it looks. It is quite special, and is the only lens I really miss from the GF system. (Getting off topic - Sorry!)

Knorp

It's an ES anomaly not in particular related to Fuji or your camera for that matter, but rather a feature if you like of the slow sensor read-out time.
Simple remedy: use a tripod or use EF next time.

Gerd

It's an ES anomaly not in particular related to Fuji or your camera for that matter, but rather a feature if you like of the slow sensor read-out time.
Simple remedy: use a tripod or use EF next time.
However, he used the ES.

And the anomaly clearly looks like a rolling shutter.

The subject didn't move, of course, but the camera in the hand did. However, the IBIS was turned on and configured correctly.

I am not sure how the rolling shutter effect came about here. Maybe the IBIS is no longer sufficient at 600mm?

Greetings Gerd

Paul2660

He is trying to hand hold a 600mm lens. Even with stabilization in camera via IBIS he can control his slight body movements. I can’t hold a 400mm lens for shots with this type of distance. I would sure try the same shots with a tripod.

Paul

diet_sch

I would sure try the same shots with a tripod.
Of course, the tripod is the solution. But I found it interesting to try the IBIS, which also worked well. I used the ES because I had blur when taking photos from the tripod, which disappeared when I switched to the ES.