The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The great tripod & head thread!

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The persistent backorder of the Giant gave me another (cheaper and lighter) idea. The 3543xl goes to 79" and the rapid column adds another 17". This is a foot short of the giant, a foot taller than the RRS TVC-45, weighs just over 6 lbs, and can be easily set up by one person. The point is, I'm shooting wide, so stability isn't my issue. Height is. It's certainly more stable than holding the camera up over my head on a pole!

I'll let you know how it works.

-Matt

Last edited:

MGrayson

I have used a monopod and a simple tilt head--just one movement. You can brace the leg against your torso for stability. With film cameras, I had a really long extension cable: digital is easier. The monopod is easier to handle than a tripod.
The RRS 1 closed up is pretty much a monopod. But I'd really like a hands-free tethered (wired or wireless) solution.

docholliday

The persistent backorder of the Giant gave me another (cheaper and lighter) idea. The 3543xl goes to 79" and the rapid column adds another 17". This is a foot short of the giant, a foot taller than the RRS TVC-45, weighs just over 6 lbs, and can be easily set up by one person. The point is, I'm shooting wide, so stability isn't my issue. Height is. It's certainly more stable than holding the camera up over my head on a pole!

I'll let you know how it works.

-Matt
There happens to be a 5561SGT over on FM for < $900 right now...

usm

Thoughts about the small Novoflex option: https://www.novoflex.de/de/triopod-...mit-kompakten-5-segmentigen-carbonbeinen.html

I would use it with a ArcaSwiss P0 Hybrid and a Factum+CFVII50C+ a small lens.
It’s a 2kg package.
Legs and Head a 1.5 kg package with a max height of about 120 cm and packed size of 42 cm. The last segment is 10mm!!

I have the long Aluminum legs already but they are heavy and very long for carrying around.

As a alternative I think about the 4 segments compact legs, they are in between my long 3 Segments and the short 5 segments legs. Packed size would be 53cm. The weight is 500g lighter than the Aluminium legs but also 500g heavier than the small Travel legs.

robmac

We use the Novo compact and the Pro75 with a gripped GFX and H5D-40 and love them. we also picked up a set of short legs. The construction is top-notch and the modularity makes the system exceptionally flexible and packing much easier. The ability to whip a leg off for use as a monopod can also come in handy.

Thoughts about the small Novoflex option: https://www.novoflex.de/de/triopod-...mit-kompakten-5-segmentigen-carbonbeinen.html

I would use it with a ArcaSwiss P0 Hybrid and a Factum+CFVII50C+ a small lens.
It’s a 2kg package.
Legs and Head a 1.5 kg package with a max height of about 120 cm and packed size of 42 cm. The last segment is 10mm!!

I have the long Aluminum legs already but they are heavy and very long for carrying around.

As a alternative I think about the 4 segments compact legs, they are in between my long 3 Segments and the short 5 segments legs. Packed size would be 53cm. The weight is 500g lighter than the Aluminium legs but also 500g heavier than the small Travel legs.

usm

I did some tests with the 5 segments travel triopod. It is stable until you touch it. So a selftimer is a must for that tiny tripod.

The small 5 segments seems like I would take it with me but it looks like a toy.
The compact 4 segments is strong and has a perfect hight but is just 500g less then what I already have.

After reading this thread, I should buy both ...
But I don’t wanna...

tcdeveau

I did some tests with the 5 segments travel triopod. It is stable until you touch it. So a selftimer is a must for that tiny tripod.

The small 5 segments seems like I would take it with me but it looks like a toy.
The compact 4 segments is strong and has a perfect hight but is just 500g less then what I already have.

After reading this thread, I should buy both ...
But I don’t wanna...
I use the 4 segment one with my X1D and it works well...I use the self-timer on the camera for long exposures.

MGrayson

IMHO, the PD tripod is better than the 5 segment travel legs on every measure. This isn't a comment on the Novy system - just those legs.

Godfrey

inspired by the posts before - added the 4-segment legs to the 3-segment legs and got a 2.7m Tripod. ...
LOL! You folks obviously have needs well beyond mine! I'm usually struggling with how to get the camera low enough, not high enough... :)

G

usm

You need a reduction screw to reduce the thread of the spikes and, what Is still missing, are small washers for the gap in between.

robmac

I've played with adding legs to existing Novo legs or using a short leg as an emergency center column on a regular basis. The tops of all the legs are 1/4-20" male on a small 'shoulder' for stability and the bottoms are 3/8-16" female.

If using 1/4-20 to 3/8-16" adapters, try and use the stainless versions (less snap prone). You can make adapters to fill the gap left by the 'shoulder' (for improved stability) on the top of the legs from washers with a layer of rubber glued on etc, or use something like below with the 'shoulder' hole bored into the 1/4-20 female side by a friendly machinist.

Endless MacGyvering opportunities.